The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

I had two unusual events the last two days at tournaments.

First, Tuesday before a girl’s varsity consolation bracket elimination game a coach came up to me and my partner and asked for clarification on the elbow violation. Said he knew it was a change, was confused by some inconsistency with some officials adapting to the change and wanted to make sure he understood what to teach. Then he ask about our style, let them play or call it tight. We both said we like to “let them play” and look for advantage/disadvantage. Game was uneventful, neither coach really said much all game, just a couple of questions during TOs for clarification. A few minutes after the game, that same coach came up to us again and said “I want to thank the two of you for how you called the game. I have been trying to tell my girls that if we make the playoffs they will not see the ticky-tacky stuff called. I couldn’t get them to understand, but you opened their eyes today. This game had a good flow and even though we lost, we got a lot out of stepping up into this level of tournament.” Since his team was done for the tournament, I knew he wasn’t working us for a future game. It was refreshing to meet that coach.

Second, yesterday during our third consecutive game of a boy’s JV tournament (6 teams who like to run). One of the coaches had been chirping most of the first half, mostly wanting 3-seconds. I was cutting him some slack because I figure it can be frustrating during a tournament because different officials call differently. At a TO I get with my partner to make sure he is aware that we are just under the one minute mark and he mentions he told the coach to “let it go” on the 3-seconds. We are going down the floor just after play resumes and I hear a whistle. Partner has T’d the coach. At half I asked him what he said to get the T…he said “Nothing in particular, I’m just too old and too tired to listen to that young kid chirp so I shut him up.” I can honestly say…I have never T’d a coach because I was tired. In fact, if I am unusually tired or not 100% I give the coach more rope in an effort not to let that influence me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

1. Don't ever T anybody without a reason.

2. Don't ever tell a coach how you plan to call the game, even if he asks. You're just setting yourself up for trouble. If the coach asks, just tell him that you're going to let the players decide how the game is called, just like every other game you officiate.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

TriggerMN...I understand your point about not getting into specifics about how we plan to call a game. I am curious, however, on how saying we "like to let them play" and saying "...going to let the players decide how the game is called..." are different?

Maybe it's me but these seem to be pretty much the same answer.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Larry,

I've never had a Coach ask me how I call a game. Not sure what my answer would be. I know it's not a good idea to discuss this because the moment you deviate or miss something they're going to complain about it. I do baseball and a few times per year a Coach will ask me about my strike zone. My answer is c'mon Coach you know what a strike is or I may quote the rule verbatim.

Concerning Tees assuming a "whiny Coach" once I give him the stop sign I consider him fair game if he persists.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
TriggerMN...I understand your point about not getting into specifics about how we plan to call a game. I am curious, however, on how saying we "like to let them play" and saying "...going to let the players decide how the game is called..." are different?

Maybe it's me but these seem to be pretty much the same answer.
I think the phrase "let them play" implies that many calls that could be made will be passed. Likewise, calling it "tight" will result in the proverbial "ticky-tack" calls. Both terms are commonly used.

IMO neither of these statements should be made as it could lead to a pre-disposition for the officials from the coaches perspective. During the game if a call is made (or not made) a coach would begin to question what happened to your "philosophy" of "letting them play" or "tightness". Why offer any ammunition?

The difference between this and "letting the players decide" is simply an acknowledgement that you (the official) will be doing your job as it comes to you, not trying to impart a style of play for a team to follow. It may be a suttle difference but it could help you avoid problems later.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

How about we just respond to the question with, "Coach, I'm going to call it both ways."
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I've never had a coach actually ask me how I was going to call a game, but I've had some give me suggestions. I just smile and say. "Thanks coach. We're going to call it the way we see it" or "We'll do our best, Coach."
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
1. Don't ever T anybody without a reason.
Ok, but legitimate reasons include the ABS technical ("Accumulation of Bull S***").
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

You got lucky with the coach in the first incident.

Sounds like the coach in the second incident earned the T. Like Chuck said, ABS.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

There is a significant difference

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
... Don't ever tell a coach how you plan to call the game, even if he asks. You're just setting yourself up for trouble. If the coach asks, just tell him that you're going to let the players decide how the game is called, just like every other game you officiate.
TriggerMN's response IS different because it does not acknowledge a personal style.

I agree that a nuetral response is necessary. Better yet, I intentionally avoid conversations, especially game-oriented types, with coaches.

BTW: I like the "label" ABS Techs. Have to share that one with my partner, she'll get a kick out of it.