The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
This kinda stuff here is exactly why we will all be speaking chinese in 20 years.
Wo bu syang sying -- ni fa feng le.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 05:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Wo bu syang sying -- ni fa feng le.
I knew someone was going to do it, and I had a hunch it would be you (or the Australian judge).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

The decision has been made by the league, the coach has been released, little Jericho will be placed on another team and will not be allowed to pitch in this league.

This is an abbreviated take from WTNH TV News. I am not providing a link to the press conference as it requires you to download a real crappy player.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 06:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
The decision has been made by the league, the coach has been released, little Jericho will be placed on another team and will not be allowed to pitch in this league.

This is an abbreviated take from WTNH TV News. I am not providing a link to the press conference as it requires you to download a real crappy player.
First, what a terrible decision these morons running the league have made.

Second, this story has made our local news coverage and I got to see Jericho pitch. From what I saw, he was a pretty average 9 year old pitcher. I was expecting some real fireballer, but he is just a good little pitcher, who is now being punished for being talented, just because little Johnny and his friends can't hit his fastball. I faced much more intimidating stuff when I was his age.

I think his coach and the Scott family should do some heavy-duty suing.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel
Buck up and get in the box...

First guy to make contact is a hero on your "unbalanced" team...

It's not like you see this guy every game...

Take it as a challenge...
I don't know why you think it is fun to get owned by some team, knowing that the challenge of hitting this pitcher is way above our heads. Are you really serious in saying that youth non-competetive baseball leagues should have stacked teams? Think about all the time, money and fun gone to waste.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
I don't know why you think it is fun to get owned by some team, knowing that the challenge of hitting this pitcher is way above our heads. Are you really serious in saying that youth non-competetive baseball leagues should have stacked teams? Think about all the time, money and fun gone to waste.
Are you saying all players with "superior" talent should be placed into other
leagues ? Just what the less-talented kids need, to have it pointed out to them that they are not good enough to play with certain others.How is this story about a stacked team ? It seems to me that it is about ONE outstanding pitcher.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
Are you saying all players with "superior" talent should be placed into other
leagues ? Just what the less-talented kids need, to have it pointed out to them that they are not good enough to play with certain others.How is this story about a stacked team ? It seems to me that it is about ONE outstanding pitcher.
They shouldn't be put into different leagues. They should be placed on different teams so that the talent is spread evenly within the league.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:31pm

Quote:
Typical liberal thinking. Let's make it fair, let's give trophies to everyone in the league for "participating," let's not reward excellence, but instead punish it by evening everything out so nobody is better than anyone else. What a load of crap. We should be rewarding this kid with the kiddie ball equivalent of the Cy Young award. He is the reason his team is doing so well. There was no mention of a "stacked team."

Like you said, you struck out a lot when you were little, so challenging pitchers weren't your favorites. Now you think along with these parents.

Myself and others here grew up relishing the challenge that really good pitchers presented, and looked forward to trying to best them. Sure, we struck out sometimes, but we didn't cry about it, or slam our bats down, or act up. We just tried harder next time until we found success ourselves.

What this league is doing is mollycoddling these kids, and not preparing them for life's lessons in the future. They will grow up to be even bigger wimps than their parents, which is sad.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They shouldn't be put into different leagues. They should be placed on different teams so that the talent is spread evenly within the league.

Socialized baseball? Must be a cultural thing. We still believe in individual effort and one realizing the rewards derived from his talent, initiative and hard work.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

SDS...well said..pretty much sums it up along with JRUTLEDGE....

My take...this is another example of the pussification of our youth...next thing you know they will have all the kids singing koombiya(sp) in the dugouts.

Canadaump6...I read alot of your posts and just shake my head....like the one where you "got in trouble" for calling batter interference for the kid comming across the plate, hindering the throw. Please tell me you would make that call again..everytime...and not that you have folded under pressure and will let it go. Do you really wonder why earning respect for the powers that be is so hard for you?Maybe baseball isn't for you. How about curling? Yea...not too fast and how much could it hurt being hit by one of those smudge pots on ice? And as a bonus little Johnny can learn to sweep things...which will be a bonus for his wife.....never mind......

And RPATRINO....yes I'm off my meds and it feels great!

griff

American by birth...Christian by choice.....

NRA life member
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Typical liberal thinking. Let's make it fair, let's give trophies to everyone in the league for "participating," let's not reward excellence, but instead punish it by evening everything out so nobody is better than anyone else. What a load of crap. We should be rewarding this kid with the kiddie ball equivalent of the Cy Young award. He is the reason his team is doing so well. There was no mention of a "stacked team."

Like you said, you struck out a lot when you were little, so challenging pitchers weren't your favorites. Now you think along with these parents.

Myself and others here grew up relishing the challenge that really good pitchers presented, and looked forward to trying to best them. Sure, we struck out sometimes, but we didn't cry about it, or slam our bats down, or act up. We just tried harder next time until we found success ourselves.

What this league is doing is mollycoddling these kids, and not preparing them for life's lessons in the future. They will grow up to be even bigger wimps than their parents, which is sad.
Steve- you brought tears to my eyes and my 14 yo son...

Bless you...

Canada...How can you have competition when everyone is evenly matched??

Sounds like a 3rd grade party with a Pinata and all the candy ends up on the ground...Mommy parent makes sure each kid gets an equal amount...even Engleberg who's munching on a Mounds bar...
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:03pm

Pussification.....I love it! Great word. Adding it to my spell checker right away! LMAO!!!

Cumbaya I believe is the proper spelling, IIRC.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff901c
SDS...well said..pretty much sums it up along with JRUTLEDGE....

My take...this is another example of the pussification of our youth...next thing you know they will have all the kids singing koombiya(sp) in the dugouts.

Canadaump6...I read alot of your posts and just shake my head....like the one where you "got in trouble" for calling batter interference for the kid comming across the plate, hindering the throw. Please tell me you would make that call again..everytime...and not that you have folded under pressure and will let it go. Do you really wonder why earning respect for the powers that be is so hard for you?Maybe baseball isn't for you. How about curling? Yea...not too fast and how much could it hurt being hit by one of those smudge pots on ice? And as a bonus little Johnny can learn to sweep things...which will be a bonus for his wife.....never mind......

And RPATRINO....yes I'm off my meds and it feels great!

griff
Just read this one and still lmao.... As a fan of Curling, I couldn't agree more...

I bet the wife is watching the Brier while CanadaUmp is taking out the trash...
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:52pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Just because he can pitch at a higher level doesn't mean he can hit, field, run, etc. at the higher level. And should he be forced to move up a level? Shouldn't that be up to his parents?
To answer your q's... not forced and yes. But if the kid has a gift, playing tiddlywinks with the 8-9 year olds does little.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

This story just gets better and better! Here's a link to the latest happenings with this mess in New Haven, CT. Now the league already has an attorney involved so the kid's family got a powerful and famous, local attorney (John Williams) to look at the matter. Now the City of New Haven is crying because Mr. Williams Esq. will become involved! What a joke this is turning into!

The New Haven Register 8/27/2008