The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Legion Baseball Question

Team A's best player is not there for the game the game gets suspended in bottom of the 9th due to rain and game is tied.

Make up date is set and Team A's best player is back can he play in the game?
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoore
Team A's best player is not there for the game the game gets suspended in bottom of the 9th due to rain and game is tied.

Make up date is set and Team A's best player is back can he play in the game?

Yes.......................

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks.... I thought he would be able to play.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
i'm goin with no if he wasn't on the original line up card, but can argue it either way. my argument for no is that the exact line up card from that game has to be used in the completion of the contest, and only players that are on that lineup are eligible. the exception, as stated in OBR 4.12c, is for a player that was not with the club on the date the game was played. the wording of the rule (shocking, i know) is a bit amibiguous, because it allows for multiple interpretations of what "with the club" means, and is where the argument for yes could arise.

from the professional standpoint, "with the club" means on the roster, and does not mean on vacation or sick or whatever. if a guy is on the roster and does not come to the game for whatever reason, pro managers still list him on the card in case this type of scenario happens. the reference in 4.12c to a player not with the club means that a guy has been traded to or acquired by the team at a point in time after that game was suspended, and it is allowing said player to participate in the completion of the suspended game.

i looked through the Legion rules http://www.baseball.legion.org/forms/alb_rules2008.pdf
and did not find anything that specifically covers this as a rules difference, so you gotta use the OBR to govern, which would lead me to my answer of no because of the above stated professional meaning of "with the club."
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Bobby,

If he's a rostered player, he's eligible......................period.

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
i'm goin with no if he wasn't on the original line up card, but can argue it either way. my argument for no is that the exact line up card from that game has to be used in the completion of the contest, and only players that are on that lineup are eligible. the exception, as stated in OBR 4.12c, is for a player that was not with the club on the date the game was played. the wording of the rule (shocking, i know) is a bit amibiguous, because it allows for multiple interpretations of what "with the club" means, and is where the argument for yes could arise.

from the professional standpoint, "with the club" means on the roster, and does not mean on vacation or sick or whatever. if a guy is on the roster and does not come to the game for whatever reason, pro managers still list him on the card in case this type of scenario happens. the reference in 4.12c to a player not with the club means that a guy has been traded to or acquired by the team at a point in time after that game was suspended, and it is allowing said player to participate in the completion of the suspended game.

i looked through the Legion rules http://www.baseball.legion.org/forms/alb_rules2008.pdf
and did not find anything that specifically covers this as a rules difference, so you gotta use the OBR to govern, which would lead me to my answer of no because of the above stated professional meaning of "with the club."
Wow - a most unique claim. Before anyone can buy into this, please tell us where the rule is that says all the players have to be on the "lineup card" in the first place.

(a) First, the home manager shall give his batting order to the umpire-in-chief, in duplicate.

(b) Next, the visiting manager shall give his batting order to the umpire-in-chief, in duplicate.

The batting order shall be followed throughout the game unless a player is substituted for another. In that case the substitute shall take the place of the replaced player in the batting order.

So therfore the batting order is only the players in the game, not the subs. AND, this is all that is required to be exchanged.

In addition:

The roster is the official list of eligible team members, not a list of those present for the game. In pro baseball the league office has the official version. Most youth leagues have a player agent or whatever that maintains the official roster. American Legion has ALB Registration Form #1 which lists the team

http://www.baseball.legion.org/forms/alb_form1.pdf
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:26pm

I'm Tall is wrong on this one. Better go ask Ed King!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Ed king would fall over and shake if you asked him that. crow eaten. too many double talking rules and interps (MLBUM states SHALL list all players, but then says they don't have to later. splendid.) and too much reading into it by the tall one. answer changed to yes, let the fool play.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 02:42am

Quote:
Ed king would fall over and shake if you asked him that. crow eaten. too many double talking rules and interps (MLBUM states SHALL list all players, but then says they don't have to later. splendid.) and too much reading into it by the tall one. answer changed to yes, let the fool play.
Hey, you're pretty damn bright, and you don't get tripped up very often. What, you're batting around .999 now? It is good to know I'm not the only one who gets a rule screwed up now and then.

Shut up Tyler
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The copy of the MLBUM that I have says:

3.1 LINEUP CARDS
Each manager should write the name of each eligible player on the face of his club's batting order card in addition to furnishing the starting lineup. However, a manager's failure to list an eligible player does not prevent that player from entering the game, nor is such failure grounds for protest, as the listing of eligible players is simply a courtesy.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Two more questions

I have read thru the legion rule book that I have but cant seem to find the answers I am looking for:

1. If the umpire feels the batter made no effort in avoiding being hit is the pitch called on location as to where it is either a ball or a strike

2. Can a player coach be ejected after the game is over?
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have read thru the legion rule book that I have but cant seem to find the answers I am looking for:

1. If the umpire feels the batter made no effort in avoiding being hit is the pitch called on location as to where it is either a ball or a strike

Yes to both questions.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. Award the base most of the time, even if it was a ball. Don't get into a habit of holding batters back on a hit-by-pitch even if the batter made no effort to move out of the way. If it was a strike, its okay to have him stay right there.
2. Ball game! You didn't see anything after the game was over. If you did see something of interest, notify the proper authorities. You are no longer the guy in charge.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
2. Ball game! You didn't see anything after the game was over. If you did see something of interest, notify the proper authorities. You are no longer the guy in charge.
I don't think so....................

Here's a hypothetical:

Losing teams assistant coach walks up to you and your partner as you're trying to exit the field after the game is over. He tells the both of you, "You're the worst f&*$%#in umpires I've ever seen. You gave us a real F$*&%#in out there tonight."

I can promise you that I would immediately issue a post game ejection for something like this.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 12:18pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56

I can promise you that I would immediately issue a post game ejection for something like this.
great, what's the rule??