The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 11:31pm
Veteran College Umpire

American Legion question

Anyone know of an American Legion (Senior or Junior) rule that prohibits jewelry? I've looked through the rules posted on the Legion home page as well as MLB rules, but I've not found anything. Thanks.

JJ
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

My state prohibits jewelry in it's additional rules and modifications packet of OBR that we get, so it may be a state-to-state thing
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
Rules

When umpires register for American Legion baseball in Kansas, we receive a copy of OBR along with a supplimental guide called "Kansas & National Baseball Rules." I would presume this is by state addoption. In Kansas, jewelry is prohibited.

Last edited by kraine27; Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 09:34am.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

jewelry

in PA they prohibit jewelry. one league has a complete zero tolerance policy. any jewelry worn on the field is cause for instant ejection.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I understand that American Legion itself does not ban jewelry. However, as others have posted it is a state adopted rule in many areas. It is also a state rule in NC. This very question was asked at our pre-season AL meeting this year by an umpire who has worked all the way up to the American Legion World Series. We were told to apply the state rule all the way through the state tourney...

Lawrence

Last edited by Lawrence.Dorsey; Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 03:01pm.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

We follow the national American Legion rules here.

No checking for jewelry, DH for pitcher only, no courtesy runner....

Now if they'd only get rid of that FPSR and the collision rule.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 02:00pm.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 03:50pm

"Hey Mr. Umpire, that guy's wearin' a gold chain around his neck and it's shining in my player's eyes."

Me: Ok, you...take that chain off or tuck it in...Play!

End of problem.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 09:32pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
"Hey Mr. Umpire, that guy's wearin' a gold chain around his neck and it's shining in my player's eyes."

Me: Ok, you...take that chain off or tuck it in...Play!

End of problem.
Bzzzzt. Start of problem Just wait until that "tucked in chain" comes untucked and flails a fielder in the eye on a tag.

Hope you're insured.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Bzzzzt. Start of problem Just wait until that "tucked in chain" comes untucked and flails a fielder in the eye on a tag.

Hope you're insured.
If the league permits jewelry, what's the problem? If you're worried about a lawsuit, have the player tape the chain to his body.

Bob
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 01:36am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Originally Posted by fitump56

Hope you're insured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
If the league permits jewelry, what's the problem? If you're worried about a lawsuit, have the player tape the chain to his body.

Bob
The problem is that what the league might allow (and we don't know in this case if it does) and what a judge or jury may see as negligent can be two entirely different things.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 01:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

I had to see one of DumbUmp's posts since it was quoted.

It's obvious that DumbUmp has never worked a game where jewelry is ignored/allowed and it makes him feel uncomfortable. It's OK, he probably feels the same about 90' bases and being allowed to lead off the base before the ball reaches the batter.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 03:47am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I had to see one of FitUmp's posts since it was quoted.

It's obvious that FitUmp has never worked a game where jewelry is ignored/allowed and it makes him feel uncomfortable. It's OK, he probably feels the same about 90' bases and being allowed to lead off the base before the ball reaches the batter.
Worked many more games than not, Rich, where jewelry was not only allowed but no rules addressed or prohibited jewelry.

When did they allow lead offs?