The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

American Legion Rules.

R1 steals on the pitch. R1 comes into the base standing up and makes contact with F6, who is straddling the bag awaiting the throw. The contact came before the ball got to the base and the contact caused F6 to not be able to field the ball. The ball then rolls into center feild. The contact was neither hard nor malicious, but it was significant enough to cause F6 to misplay the ball.

Is this a violation of the slide rule? Is this interference? Would the ruling be different playing under NFHS rules?

I've heard several different opinions on this from different umpires in my association and I would like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

bossman72
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 01:08am

Quote:
Originally posted by bossman72
American Legion Rules.

R1 steals on the pitch. R1 comes into the base standing up and makes contact with F6, who is straddling the bag awaiting the throw. The contact came before the ball got to the base and the contact caused F6 to not be able to field the ball. The ball then rolls into center feild. The contact was neither hard nor malicious, but it was significant enough to cause F6 to misplay the ball.

Is this a violation of the slide rule? Is this interference? Would the ruling be different playing under NFHS rules?

I've heard several different opinions on this from different umpires in my association and I would like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

bossman72
Boss,

If F6 is blocking the base without the ball, he is not entitled to protection under the interference rule. He would have to be in the act of fielding the ball in order to call interference. This is a judgment call. If he is reaching for the ball at the time of contact, a case for interference could be made, if the interference is judged to be intentional. The fielder has no right to block a base without the ball. The base belongs to the runner if the fielder is just standing there and the ball isn't immediately being fielded. If contact is made, and say, the ball is just passing the pitcher, F6 has more than likely obstructed the base runner.

There is no "must slide" rule. It is usually refered to as "slide or avoid." In Fed, the runner is never required to slide, but if he does slide, it must be a legal slide.

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Nov 19th, 2005 at 01:31 AM]
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
boss,

Could there be a possibility that some of the guys your debating this with are trying to apply the force play slide rule?

Tim.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
American Legion Rules.

Thanks!

bossman72
I'm can't not speak for other sections or districts however, I believe this year American Legion went with the NCAA obstrction rule. In addition to the NFHS slide rule. Simply put, No Ball, you can't be there. Being in the act of receiving the ball is not applicable. Runner awarded base.

Now, malicious contact could still affect the game status of the runner, regardless.

The problem I had this year was not working with enough officials that unserstood the NCAA rule. I made this twice during the season and sure enough, the first reply was, no body else makes that call.??????

Don't have my books in front of me however, I belive that was the basic understanding of the NCAA obstruction ruling.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 10:54am
Veteran College Umpire

I went to ask.com and did a search for American Legion rules. They use the NCAA collision rule - that the fielder must have the ball to legally be in the basebath blocking the base.
If a collision occurs, the umpire must judge if it was avoidable or unavoidable, and if the runner was deliberately trying to dislodge the ball. If the collision was unavoidable, the umpire must judge if it was flagrant. Then he rules accordingly.
In the case posted, since the fielder did not have the ball when the contact occured, and the contact was not flagrant, it sounds like a "no call" UNLESS you judge it to be obstruction - IF the runner was safe at second and THEN the contact occured, and argument could be made that he was obstructed between second and third. Whole new can of worms!

JJ
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

1) F6 is not blocking the bag, he is straddling it awaiting a throw. I am assuming he is straddling it such that the base can be reached by R1 since I can't picture F6 straddling the bag with his left foot in the baseline between 1st and 2nd since he would be facing 3rd and in no position to make a tag. Therefore no obstruction regardless of whether he has the ball.

2) NCAA has a collision rule that allows some contact with a fielder. NCAA and FED both have a FPSR. American Legion plays the NCAA collision rule and the FPSR. In this case R1 was stealing so there is no FPSR to call. There is no "must slide" rule in either. This rule is generally a league added rule in the lowest levels of baseball (ie 60 foot bases).

3) Interference on a thrown ball needs to be based on an intentional act.

4) Contact with F6 on a throw from F2 with R1 stealing happens often, and sometimes the ball ends up in center field. I have never called, or seen it called obstruction, and awarded R1 3rd base. I have also never called interference, unless R1 did something intentional looking to prevent F6 from catching the ball or completing a tag.

Nothing happened in this post that would cause a call to be made, that I can see.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 02:47pm

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
1) F6 is not blocking the bag, he is straddling it awaiting a throw. I am assuming he is straddling it such that the base can be reached by R1 since I can't picture F6 straddling the bag with his left foot in the baseline between 1st and 2nd since he would be facing 3rd and in no position to make a tag. Therefore no obstruction regardless of whether he has the ball.
The entire base belongs to the baserunner, including the air space above it. If the fielder is straddling the base without the ball, and alters the path of the runner in any way, it is obstruction. F6 doesn't necessarily have to be blocking the ground between 1st and 2nd, in order to have obstruction. Let's say R1 is stealing, but it's a passed ball, and F6 is straddling the base. R1 wants to continue on to 3B, but has to slow down, or bumps into F6, as he is trying to touch 2B on his way to 3rd. That would clearly be obstruction, right? Any alteration of the runners progress is obstruction. In OBR, there is wiggle room if the fielder is in the act of receiving the throw, but not under NCAA rules, which are apparently being used by Legion ball.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

As far as I know, it would only be an illegal slide and therefore interference if he made contact with the fielder beyond the bag or if it was a pop-up slide (if that is illegal in legion, i'm not sure)...without the ball however, it would appear that the runners slide was legal. He does have the right to the base as Steve pointed out. I have a board meeting on monday and I'll ask some of the senior guys about it and see what they say and get back to you.

JP
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
The entire base belongs to the baserunner, including the air space above it. If the fielder is straddling the base without the ball, and alters the path of the runner in any way, it is obstruction. F6 doesn't necessarily have to be blocking the ground between 1st and 2nd, in order to have obstruction. Let's say R1 is stealing, but it's a passed ball, and F6 is straddling the base. R1 wants to continue on to 3B, but has to slow down, or bumps into F6, as he is trying to touch 2B on his way to 3rd. That would clearly be obstruction, right? Any alteration of the runners progress is obstruction. In OBR, there is wiggle room if the fielder is in the act of receiving the throw, but not under NCAA rules, which are apparently being used by Legion ball.
Cite a reference please, because this is the first time I have heard that the entire bag, including the air above it belongs to the runner. Let's take the original situation before we tackle your new case. R1 is stealling so his intent is not go to 3b. If the ball gets by F6 and into CF and contact is made at 2B you "could: rule obstruction, if you think the contact prevented the runner from making it to 3B. But I don't know too many runners who would attempt 3b on the play with our without contact, and fewere umpires who would "award" 3b on this play. Now, for your new play, the ball gets by F2, F6 is stradding the bag diagonally such that half the bag is available for the runner to touch on his way to 3b, but he hesitates at 2b and then is thrown out at 3b (logical conclusion whether he hesitated or not). You will award 3b due to your "sky theory"? Let me give another play, R1, and pitcher tries to pick him off. 1B man has his right foot on the corner of the bag nearest the pitcher (RH 1b man), R1 slides back head first with his right hand sliding into F3's foot. Although he had more than 3/4 of the bag he could have dived back to, he dives back to the 1/4 he can't reach due to F3's foot. So you award him 2B due to your "sky theory"?

If the base is easily touchable, it's not obstructed.

[Edited by DG on Nov 19th, 2005 at 04:39 PM]
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 06:57pm

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Cite a reference please, because this is the first time I have heard that the entire bag, including the air above it belongs to the runner. Let's take the original situation before we tackle your new case. R1 is stealling so his intent is not go to 3b. If the ball gets by F6 and into CF and contact is made at 2B you "could: rule obstruction, if you think the contact prevented the runner from making it to 3B. But I don't know too many runners who would attempt 3b on the play with our without contact, and fewere umpires who would "award" 3b on this play. Now, for your new play, the ball gets by F2, F6 is stradding the bag diagonally such that half the bag is available for the runner to touch on his way to 3b, but he hesitates at 2b and then is thrown out at 3b (logical conclusion whether he hesitated or not). You will award 3b due to your "sky theory"? Let me give another play, R1, and pitcher tries to pick him off. 1B man has his right foot on the corner of the bag nearest the pitcher (RH 1b man), R1 slides back head first with his right hand sliding into F3's foot. Although he had more than 3/4 of the bag he could have dived back to, he dives back to the 1/4 he can't reach due to F3's foot. So you award him 2B due to your "sky theory"?

[Edited by DG on Nov 19th, 2005 at 04:39 PM]
Let me address the so-called 'sky theory' first. I remember this from a film we watched in class on interference and obstruction one time. I do not have a reference to cite on the subject.

In the original situation, I already gave my opinion, that if F6 was not in the act of fielding the throw, that it would be obstruction. Then we were informed that Legion rules used the NCAA interpretation, that F6 can't block the base without actual possesion of the ball.

Then for my example, I stand by my answer. F6 better move his a$$, or if he even causes the runner to twich funny, I will have obstruction. Standing over the base, blocking any part of it without the ball, runs the risk of causing obstruction. If it did not delay the runner's progress, then no obstruction would be called. There is no 1/2 or 3/4 of the base determination. If there is sufficient room for the runner to touch the base, without causing deviation from his path, then fine. Nowhere in the these first two situations is the mention of how F6 was positioned, just that he was straddling.

In your example, if F3 is blocking any part of the base without the ball, he is obstructing. If he has the ball, fine it is his base to block at that point. I won't award 2nd on this kind of obstruction. We are told to award the base he was going back to when obstructed, so he gets first, but he doesn't get picked off. OBR rules. In Fed, the obstructed runner is awarded at least one base past the last base touched. It also has to be very blatant in this case for me to call.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
American Legion Rules.

Thanks!

bossman72
After re-reading this situation, I see some things I originally missed.

1. The runner is stealing and comes in standing up.
2. Fielder is straddling the bag.
3. Runner runs into Fielder at the same place he is trying to catch the ball.

Answer:

1.This has nothing to do with the FPSL. It is a steal.
Nor the NCAA obstruction rule.

2. It can only be interference, if the runner purposely interferes with the fielder catching the ball.

3. For what took place, nothing would be different under NFHS, LL, OBR, NCAA or ay other league that writes baseball rules.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

obstruction is not the issue here.

this is more of a "slide or avoid" rule question. I think i found the answer in the legion rules:

E. Collision Rule. The intent of this rule is to encourage base runners and defensive players to avoid collisions whenever possible.
1. When there is a collision between a runner and a fielder who clearly is in possession of the ball, the umpire shall judge: a) Whether the collision by the runner was avoidable (could the runner have reached the base without colliding) or unavoidable (the runner’s path to the base was blocked) or b) Whether the runner was actually attempting to reach the base (plate) or was he attempting to dislodge the ball from the fielder.
PENALTY - If the runner, a) could have avoided the collision and reached the base, or b) attempted to dislodge the ball, the runner shall be declared out, even if the fielder loses possession of the ball. The ball is dead and all base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.
Ruling 1: - If the fielder blocks the path of the base runner to the base (plate), the runner may make contact, slide into, or collide with a fielder as long as the runner is making a legitimate attempt to reach the base or plate.
Ruling 2: - If the collision by the runner was flagrant, the runner shall be declared out and ejected from the contest. The ball shall be declared dead.

The rule states the fielder has to be in clear posession of the ball for this to take effect, which pretty much answers my question.

NOW, if this exact same type of collision happened on a force play, i'm assuming the runner would be in violation of the FPSR and would be declared out along with the BR, correct?
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by DG
[B]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG

[Edited by DG on Nov 19th, 2005 at 08:40 PM]
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 08:54pm

The more I look at the original play, the more I believe in this case, it's nothin', honey. Bad luck for F6, no obstruction on R1 either.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
obstruction is not the issue here.

this is more of a "slide or avoid" rule question. I think i found the answer in the legion rules:

E. Collision Rule. The intent of this rule is to encourage base runners and defensive players to avoid collisions whenever possible.
1. When there is a collision between a runner and a fielder who clearly is in possession of the ball, the umpire shall judge: a) Whether the collision by the runner was avoidable (could the runner have reached the base without colliding) or unavoidable (the runner’s path to the base was blocked) or b) Whether the runner was actually attempting to reach the base (plate) or was he attempting to dislodge the ball from the fielder.
PENALTY - If the runner, a) could have avoided the collision and reached the base, or b) attempted to dislodge the ball, the runner shall be declared out, even if the fielder loses possession of the ball. The ball is dead and all base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.
Ruling 1: - If the fielder blocks the path of the base runner to the base (plate), the runner may make contact, slide into, or collide with a fielder as long as the runner is making a legitimate attempt to reach the base or plate.
Ruling 2: - If the collision by the runner was flagrant, the runner shall be declared out and ejected from the contest. The ball shall be declared dead.

The rule states the fielder has to be in clear posession of the ball for this to take effect, which pretty much answers my question.

NOW, if this exact same type of collision happened on a force play, i'm assuming the runner would be in violation of the FPSR and would be declared out along with the BR, correct?
The original question is NOT A SLIDE OR AVOID RULE question.

Its Nothing. The answer you found has NOTHING to do with this play. It is about a fielder that has possesion of the ball.

Now if this happened on a force play, you MAY have a violation, if you judged the runner interfered with the catch. Otherwise you have two people showing at the same spot on the field and it is , what it is.