The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10
Being that you're a former pro umpire, you may have some inside info that I don't know.
uhh, no. The poster you quoted is Sandiegosteve and he is not a former pro umpire.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
A current MLB arbiter told me this about a current MLB manager (not Mr. Cox). I paraphrase.

"Sometimes, he'll start the chirping--loud--in the first inning. By the time we get to six or seven, and skip finally comes out of the dugout, you're so sick of him that you toss him."

The media can't hear what comes from the dugout. IMHO, this is what precedes many EJs.

When's the last time you saw an EJ on tv and heard an announcer say, "Well, Joey Bagodunts has been ejected, and he probably deserved it."

Harummph.

Ace
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
uhh, no. The poster you quoted is Sandiegosteve and he is not a former pro umpire.
Sorry, got he and bobbybanaduck mixed up.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
It was only Guccione's second ejection of the year. It's not like he's out there trying to fill a quota or anything.

Cox, on the other hand, is a classless, jerk who has a disdain for umpires and their authority going all the way back to when he played ball.

I'll go with Guccione on this one just on principle.
Say what you want about Cox, but he's gotten results and he always has backed his players.

Glavine, Maddox, Smoltz, Chipper, the lists goes on and on of players who stand by him as one of the best of all time.

If he had a problem with Cox chirping from the dugout, take it out on Cox, but the video clearly shows the player did not show him up by his actions.

But, as you stated, Cox leads the majors I believe in ejections so he does have a reputation. But, for him to stay out that long tells me that there was something going on ... he usually is ejected and then leaves.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 10:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
If he had a problem with Cox chirping from the dugout, take it out on Cox, but the video clearly shows the player did not show him up by his actions.

Thanks
David
How about the lack of audio? So if he yelled "F*** you" into his shirt he shouldn't get a response cause nobody can see it?

Cox, these days, can't take one step out of a dugout without getting run. As it should be - his reputation precedes him.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 10:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
I"M NOT???????

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
I think the ejection was warranted if Bobby truly was arguing balls and strikes. If Bobby was coming out to see what kind of beef Guccione had with Carlyle, that was a mighty quick hook. I'm a Braves fan, and judging by Bobby's motions and gestures during the argument, that the strike zone topic didn't come up until well after he had been ejected. Bobby is a manager who will fight for his players. I think thats what was happening. He saw an umpire go after his player, and he wanted to know why.
Was it a good call?
I'm not one to make that determination.
As an umpire, I'm not going to say whether or not I would have ejected him because none of us really can tell without actually being in the situation at that moment.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 12:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBUMP99
I think the ejection was warranted if Bobby truly was arguing balls and strikes. If Bobby was coming out to see what kind of beef Guccione had with Carlyle, that was a mighty quick hook. I'm a Braves fan, and judging by Bobby's motions and gestures during the argument, that the strike zone topic didn't come up until well after he had been ejected. Bobby is a manager who will fight for his players. I think thats what was happening. He saw an umpire go after his player, and he wanted to know why.
Was it a good call?
I'm not one to make that determination.
As an umpire, I'm not going to say whether or not I would have ejected him because none of us really can tell without actually being in the situation at that moment.
After 141 ejections, he gets what he has coming to him.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBUMP99
I think the ejection was warranted if Bobby truly was arguing balls and strikes. If Bobby was coming out to see what kind of beef Guccione had with Carlyle, that was a mighty quick hook.
Bobby was warned not to come out. He came out. He was ejected.

That's not quick, that's efficient.

Quote:
I'm a Braves fan,
Noted.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 02:44pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I've seen that pitch called a strike more than I've seen it called a ball in MLB...so he missed a pitch...Cox's reputation is something that he's earned...the announcer is a moron. Guarantee he chirps at his son's little league umpire too...because "ties go to the runner"
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 02:47pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Once again, another manager ejected for no reason. those announcers blow
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
Rich,

Then he should've dumped carlysle' azz right away!!!!

If someone says "F*ck you" you dump them simple as that. Obviously Carlysle did not say enough to get ejected right there so I don't think that Guccione did it right. Same thing that Runge did a month or so ago.
Guccione and Runge both issued warnings in a traditional manner that Rats understand. No problem there. Runge was fine until the bump.

Would you prefer Guccione have a quick finger on Carlysle?
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
The red is where we disagree. Their warnings should not have been as loud as they were. I think a better option for Guccione is to either dump Carlyle because he said something dump-worthy (Which isn't having a quick finger), or tell his catcher to go tell him to knock it off. If Carlyle says something out in the open, then we should respond the same way. If Carlyle turns his back and says something so nobody knows (Maybe he's pissed at himself and just says GD or something along those lines?) then we need to send a message where nobody else knows as well. Just my opinion.
Fight back with equal force, maybe even a notch below, approach?

Am I judoing now?
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 05:50pm

Bobby Cox has been suspended one game for his conduct during this ejection.

On a side note, one of Cox's ejections (6-6-08) was an "unofficial" ejection, as it occurred after the final out was recorded (since we were on that subject of post-game ejections):

"HP Umpire Alfonso Marquez unofficially ejected Braves Manager Bobby Cox, Third Base Coach Brian Snitker, First Base Coach Glenn Hubbard, and outielder Matt Diaz for arguing a game-ending out call in the bottom of the 10th inning of the Phillies-Braves game. With two out and two on, Braves shortstop Yunel Escobar hit an 0-1 slider from Phillies pitcher Brad Lidge to center field. Braves left-right fielder Josh Anderson scored, and center fielder Gregor Blanco rounded third as Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino fielded the ball to throw home. Blanco arrived at home plate just as Phillies catcher Chris Coste applied the tag, Marquez ruled Blanco out, as the third out, ending the game with a 4-3 final score. After the play, an argument over the call became heated, resulting in the unofficial ejection of Cox, Snitker, Hubbard, and Diaz. Replays show the tag was applied before Blanco touched home plate, the call was correct. At the time of the unofficial ejections, the Phillies had already won the contest, 4-3."

These are Alfonso Marquez (72)'s first, second, third, and fourth unofficial ejections 2008.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i dunno bout judo stuff but i'm tellin ya it's the best way to handle it and remain in control.
Guccione has over ten years experience at the MLB level. I trust that he had reason to decide to handle it as he did. So, far, MLB seems to agree. I see no reason to second guess him or them.

Perhaps your many years of calling ball at that level and dealing with MLB players gives you an advantage not available to the rest of us.