The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Guccione nailed it

We spend a lot of time dissecting bad/questionable calls by the big boys on these boards...Well, this time it is kudos to Chris Guccione in the ninth inning of last nite's Yankees/Orioles game

If you have ever had this happen to you in a high level game, you know how difficult a call this is.

with 2 strikes on Giambi, the O's pitcher through a high and tight fastball that barely nicked the butt end of Giambi's bat and was caught by F2 for strike 3.
Guccione heard something, had to determine if the contact was bat or batter and after a few moments (fraction of seconds), determined it was bat and whacked him out.
the catcher heard it too and was pointing it out to Guccione, which made the call look indecisive so Girardi came out, acted like a fool and got dumped.

Just one of those calls that is difficult and Chris handled very well, I thought....
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Guccione, Giambi, Girardi??? Was this a Mafia reunion? And WAY too many G-names
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
Guccione, Giambi, Girardi??? Was this a Mafia reunion? And WAY too many G-names
Hey, whats a matter for you? You no lika my friends? When wasa the last time you wenta a swimming in that bigga lake near your house?

Youa makea the boys feela real bad abouta your comments!

Your friend,

Anthony G.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

It figgers someone with a name like Cecone would be the first one to reply!!!
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjayfire
We spend a lot of time dissecting bad/questionable calls by the big boys on these boards...Well, this time it is kudos to Chris Guccione in the ninth inning of last nite's Yankees/Orioles game

If you have ever had this happen to you in a high level game, you know how difficult a call this is.

with 2 strikes on Giambi, the O's pitcher through a high and tight fastball that barely nicked the butt end of Giambi's bat and was caught by F2 for strike 3.
Guccione heard something, had to determine if the contact was bat or batter and after a few moments (fraction of seconds), determined it was bat and whacked him out.
the catcher heard it too and was pointing it out to Guccione, which made the call look indecisive so Girardi came out, acted like a fool and got dumped.

Just one of those calls that is difficult and Chris handled very well, I thought....
The call seemed to be correct but the way it unfolded it looked like the PU let the catcher make it for him.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjayfire

Watched this morning and in fast motion it did look like nothing happened, but as you stated, he heard something and it takes a good umpire to make that call, and he did.

Thanks
David
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 12:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
The call seemed to be correct but the way it unfolded it looked like the PU let the catcher make it for him.

Well, yeah. But what else is he going to do there. It sure appeared to be a foul tip on the replay. There's zero chance a plate umpire sees this -- it's all on sound.

And Girardi should get suspended for a game for his outburst.

Last edited by Rich; Fri May 23, 2008 at 12:35pm.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
All Chris did here was utilize excellent timing. So it took a few seconds from the time the ball hit the bat to when he made the call.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Saw it on MLB.com...and they had the Yankees (YES) broadcast. They replayed it with the field microphones cranked up and you can definitely hear two sounds (the ball hitting the bat and then the ball hitting the glove).

The Yankees announcers (though they criticized his long delay in making the call) actually said Chris clearly got it right after listening to the above-mentioned replay.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
That was a bit more than "good timing" IMO. It seemed to take him a couple of seconds to realize what had happened. Not suprising, but it allowed F2 to make a big enough scene so when Guccione finally did make the call, it looked like he was persuaded into it by F2. Good call, decent sell, but delayed beyond what would be considered "good timing".

Girardi threw a big league tantrum not seen in Yankee Stadium for years. Welke came in from 3rd and said "Ok Joe, you've made your point." He sure did.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Here is my 2 cents.

He definitely heard something, I think the delay was the fact that he was looking for a reaction from Giambi, he wasn't 100% sure whether or not it hit him on the hand. He looked at Giambi, saw no reaction after he backed out of the box, then he rung him up.

great timing - great call.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

It happened to me...

I had a similar sitch this year in a 4A first-round playoff game here in SC, and it provided me a lesson in slowing things down before rushing a call.

Bottom of the 8th, 1 out, R2, 2-2 count on the batter. F1 brings a high curveball, catcher raises up enough to mostly block my view of the check swing by the batter. In the heat of the moment, I reflex the "Did he go" to U2 who is in the "B". About the time the word "go" gets out of my mouth, I realize that I heard double contact (nick of the bat, ball into the glove) - like the OP sitch, didn't see it, but I heard it. About the time my man in "B" give the safe sign, I'm coming up waving it off and declaring the foul tip and punched the batter out. I know it looked terrible, but I know it was the right call, and had I just hesitated a second or two more, would have saved me the deserved "discussion" with the HC. He did accept my explanation after some discussion, and we moved on.

They ended up losing the game after giving up 7 in the top of the 9th. Major ignorant fan screams exiting the field (of the "you cost us the game" variety). I beat myself up for a week about the timing, or lack thereof, on the call. However, the team rebounded (each round of the playoffs here are double-elimination) and ended up winning the 4A state title in SC this season. The HC is a class guy and I was happy to see them win it all. And, I learned a lesson to keep things under control in the heat of a big game.

Last edited by scarolinablue; Fri May 23, 2008 at 03:29pm.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
he did, which is complete and utter BS
It was his behavior that was complete and utter BS.

MLB was busy today suspending Baker, Girardi and Joyner. Three who have been around long enough to know better, but who demonstrated that they don't.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
That was a bit more than "good timing" IMO. It seemed to take him a couple of seconds to realize what had happened. Not suprising, but it allowed F2 to make a big enough scene so when Guccione finally did make the call, it looked like he was persuaded into it by F2. Good call, decent sell, but delayed beyond what would be considered "good timing".

Girardi threw a big league tantrum not seen in Yankee Stadium for years. Welke came in from 3rd and said "Ok Joe, you've made your point." He sure did.
Frustration over on how the Yankees are playing.

Bob
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

The tantrums are part of the show.

C'mon guys. You know joe six-pack and his little Mrs. and the snotty youngun's love that cuss and kick dirt on the umpire stuff. To most people, and let's face it, we are NOT even close to thinking like most people, the show includes a couple of bean balls, a manager cussing the ump and getting dumped and if they are really lucky a dugout clearing brawl.

I have friends who are MiLB umpires. They spoke to my Sports Marketing Class I teach about how they are part of the marketing. They get briefed on how many minutes between innings, which inning the hot dog race will be so take a little longer, etc.

Unfortunately, to most of America, including the owners, employees other than players it is a side show and umpires are a big part of it, in pro ball.

My two cents.