The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Chris Guccione Ejection....

I just had a chance to check this out from the weekend...any comments on this?

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/media/...00807203165915
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure what the pitcher did to piss off HPU, but Cox came out to argue ball and strikes and I have seen 2 or 3 other managers in recent weeks get tossed for the same. I would have liked to seen what led up to this.
I find it funny how biased the commentators are. Did they mention what managers lead the league in getting ejected? I'm sure Bobby is near the top.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12
I find it funny how biased the commentators are. Did they mention what managers lead the league in getting ejected? I'm sure Bobby is near the top.
Bobby's tops with six, Cecil Cooper and Ron Gardenhire have 4 each.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Why do rats have to be so god dam stupid? What were the commentators complaining about anyways? There was nothing wrong with that ejection, and the pitch was a little bit low.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 10:22pm

"HP Umpire Chris Guccione ejected Braves Manager Bobby Cox for arguing a ball four call in the top of the 3rd inning of the Nationals-Braves game. With two out and three on, Nationals center fielder Willie Harris took a 3-1 fastball from Braves pitcher Buddy Carlyle for a called fourth ball, resulting in a walk that forced in a run. After Harris left for first base, Cox exited the dugout, resulting in a warning from Guccione, and as Cox continued walking toward home plate, he was ejected. Replays show the 3-1 pitch was located just above the knee in height, but slightly off the plate and inside, the call was correct."

This is Chris Guccione (68)'s second ejection of 2008.

This is the 127th ejection of 2008.

This is the 62nd manager ejection of 2008.

This is Cox's sixth ejection of 2008, giving him sole possession of the lead in managerial ejections (Cooper [HOU], Gardenhire [MIN] have four ejections each).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Disclaimer: I am a Braves fan.

I watched this game from the 2nd inning until the end. There had been a couple of very close pitches earlier in the game that went against us. One was a very borderline called third strike that ended an inning when we had the bases loaded. When this pitch was not called, Buddy Carlyle (our pitcher) was upset, but he turned around to keep from saying something that he would regret.

Instead of doing like Carlyle and trying to avoid a problem, Gucionne came out and started yelling at Carlyle. When that happened, Cox came out and was immediately tossed. I know that his ejection was automatic since he was arguing balls/strikes. However, it seemed to me that Guccione instigated this. Had he done as Carlyle did and backed off, this likely would not have happened. And, of course I can't read the minds of the other three umpires, but their lack of intervention seemed to tell me that they weren't too happy with Guccione. How many times do you see that kind of rhubarb and no intervention from the other umps?

As for Cox spraying him, I found this article with Jerry Crawford telling a story about a time that Cox accidentally sprayed him. This probably was the case here too. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2903669
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10
Disclaimer: I am a Braves fan.

I watched this game from the 2nd inning until the end. There had been a couple of very close pitches earlier in the game that went against us. One was a very borderline called third strike that ended an inning when we had the bases loaded. When this pitch was not called, Buddy Carlyle (our pitcher) was upset, but he turned around to keep from saying something that he would regret.

Instead of doing like Carlyle and trying to avoid a problem, Gucionne came out and started yelling at Carlyle. When that happened, Cox came out and was immediately tossed. I know that his ejection was automatic since he was arguing balls/strikes. However, it seemed to me that Guccione instigated this. Had he done as Carlyle did and backed off, this likely would not have happened. And, of course I can't read the minds of the other three umpires, but their lack of intervention seemed to tell me that they weren't too happy with Guccione. How many times do you see that kind of rhubarb and no intervention from the other umps?

As for Cox spraying him, I found this article with Jerry Crawford telling a story about a time that Cox accidentally sprayed him. This probably was the case here too. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2903669
in order from top to bottom of your post...

"us?" what position do you play?

he turned around, but i guarantee you he said something that brought gooch out at him.

see above statement. just because you turn around after or while you b1tch about a call doesn't mean you are going to get away with it.

and, finally, to the largest of the emboldened from your post... EVERY TIME. the only time the other umpires get involved is if it is more than 1 on 1, if the situtation gets violent, or if it has gone on ridiculously long (which can is marked by the umpire involved walking away.) if none of those criteria are met, no other umpires will intervene.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The pitch looked low to me, and the catcher pulled the pitch. Looks like a ball to me. EJ of Cox was automatic if he was arguing balls/strikes.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

What you don't see in the video is the gestures and comments by Carlyle or the whining from the dugout by Cox earlier in the game. An umpire at that level is only going to take so much before he barks back or ejects.

The Braves are a whiny bunch. led by every umpires best friend (Cox). It's been that way for years and will continue until Bobby retires.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 12:29am

It was only Guccione's second ejection of the year. It's not like he's out there trying to fill a quota or anything.

Cox, on the other hand, is a classless, jerk who has a disdain for umpires and their authority going all the way back to when he played ball.

I'll go with Guccione on this one just on principle.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Jul 24, 2008 at 07:39am.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
The pitch looked low to me, and the catcher pulled the pitch. Looks like a ball to me. EJ of Cox was automatic if he was arguing balls/strikes.
I agree 100%. The auto ejection is by the book.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

in order from top to bottom of your post...

"us?" what position do you play?

My disclaimer at the top of my post indicated that I was a Braves fan. I posted that for purposes of full disclosure. Knowing that, I'm sure this was a sarcastic question.

he turned around, but i guarantee you he said something that brought gooch out at him.

see above statement. just because you turn around after or while you b1tch about a call doesn't mean you are going to get away with it.

Yes, he may very well have said something to Gooch. And, if he said something personal to Gooch, he was out of line. As msavakinas said below me, it looked bad. And, that's all that we as spectators have to go by.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

so, by your own admission, all you have to go by is what you see, which does not encompass all that goes on on the field. that being said, you are going off half-cocked and blasting an umpire for his demeanor and handling of a situation that you are only part aware of. makes sense. fanboy. <----note sarcastic comment.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas

I will say it LOOKED bad the way he went after Carlysle, but we weren't there and do not know what Carlysle said at all to provoke him.
note NON-sarcastic comment. -------> i thought it looked awesome.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

It was only Guccione's second ejection of the year. It's not like he's out there trying to fill a quota or anything.

True. Joe Simpson, the commentator, overreacted with his comments about that.

Cox, on the other hand, is a classless, wife-beating jerk who has a disdain for umpires and their authority going all the way back to when he played ball.

Being that you're a former pro umpire, you may have some inside info that I don't know. But, take a look at the quotes in these two articles from Richie Garcia, Ron Kulpa, and Jim McKeon. And, you'll find a very different view of Cox http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...jections_N.htm
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...4706272090.txt