The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Umpire Verbal Communication/Signals

Hi all:

Greymule's OP about the Foul Tip signal prompted me for this post

In your view what verbal communication / signals if any should be given. Also, I am talking about a 2 person crew.

Here's an example of a pet peeve of mine.

As BU you are the A Position. Fly ball (can of corn) to F8. Your responsibility as BU is to watch B1 touch first base, watch for a potential OBS on the part of F3 and take the batter turned runner around the bases should they try and advance.

Now even though the catch is a "can of corn" I do not know that so I want my partner to simply say "Pete we got a catch" This also lets the runner know that he is out as well.

I also like to know the count. I still use the indicator on the bases (I know some umpire associations frown on this but it is accepted where I work)

Also, hand signals

1. IFR
2.Timing Play
3. PU will indicate that he has tag up at third and is staying home

There are others as well.

In a nutshell what forms of verbal communication / hand signals if any do you give to your partner.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

It all depends on the level of skill/knowledge of my partner. In two man, if I'm working with a partner that has worked in MiLB or been to school, there is very little hand signals given. I know to "be there", if I don't hear him tell me he's got third. I/we always use the verbage, I'm on the line or I've got the ball, to confirm I had better be there. They always tell me, "that's a catch or no catch, balls down". Hand signals are abbreviated to simpliest form, hang loose for infield fly, hand/fist bump for tag up. Point to the plate for timing play, quick simple done. If I'm working with someone not trained, I'll spend a great deal of time in the pre-game and adjust down from there.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Signals.

Visualized:
I (PU) have the tag - up on R3.
Foul Tip when there are runners.
Timing.

Verbalized:
Catch (fly out) or
NO (not caught) if BU is watching runner and/or not lined up with the ball.

Depending on who my partner is, I may take my indicator while on bases. It stays in my pocket while I keep track until my (usually inexperienced) partner loses the count.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Pete,

Good question. What I try to do is...

Verbal communication:

"That's a catch" or "Ball's down" when I have coverage on a catch/no catch that is not "in front" of my partner.

"Bill, I've got 3rd if he goes" on a 1st to 3rd rotation, followed by "I've got 3rd" if I see a play developing at 3rd or "Bill, I'm going home" if I judge there will be no play at 3rd, but might be one at home. And, "Bill, I'm on the line" when the pre-pitch sitch calls for a 1st to 3rd rotation, but there is a "trouble ball" hit toward the RF line.

"Yes, he did!" (pointing w LH at batter) on a checked swing I judge to be an offer, "Bill, did he go?" (pointing w LH at partner) on a check swing appeal.

"Bill, I've got this end" in a rundown when I'm in position and the play starts moving away from me.

"See you in seven. Don't suck." (w. a "fist bump") as we part company after the plate conference.

Hand signals:

Number of outs, followed by "1st to 3rd" or "staying home". I do this on pretty much each new at bat and any time when the sitch changes during an at bat.

IFF - I go w. a fist for no outs, raised index finger for 1 out to the bill of the cap. (Oddly, I give myself this signal when working solo, a fairly common occurrence during the summer months.) If 3B is open, I follow with a "fist pop", index finger pointing to 3rd for "PU will take R2 into 3B on a tag up".

Time play - Two fingers to the top of the left wrist.

Good call and/or nice hustle on a rotation - discreet "fist pop".

Let's talk during the next 1/2 inning change - forearms crossed.

GLM sighting - thumbs and index fingers together, pointing down, w. tips of index fingers at top of belt buckle, followed by 1 or 3 fingers to indicate which side of field, followed by the row number in the bleachers, starting from the bottom. (I find the alternative mechanic somewhat "indiscreet".)

JM
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
Pete,

Good question. What I try to do is...

GLM sighting - thumbs and index fingers together, pointing down, w. tips of index fingers at top of belt buckle, followed by 1 or 3 fingers to indicate which side of field, followed by the row number in the bleachers, starting from the bottom. (I find the alternative mechanic somewhat "indiscreet".)

JM

Now that's looking after your partner
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
How about the infamous, 'noose tying and string up' signal? You 'hung me out to dry partner', usually followed by a 'let's meet between innings'.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 02:23pm

Quote:
IFF - I go w. a fist for no outs, raised index finger for 1 out to the bill of the cap. (Oddly, I give myself this signal when working solo, a fairly common occurrence during the summer months.)
And I thought I was the only one who did that! I even gave myself the two finger tap on the wrist for time plays when I was by myself. Just to make sure my head was in the game. Working solo it's easy to zone out if your not careful.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

How many times have you asked for help on a check swing when working solo? I have.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
How many times have you asked for help on a check swing when working solo? I have.
Bob,

Ummm....., well...... Three, I guess. Twice it was "just for fun". Once I kinda' sorta' had to.

JM
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 06:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Every time they forget there's only one of me and tell me to ask for help (or if they give me, "are you SURE, Blue?"). I then confirm my original call. I point to first and ask "did he go?" Then I say, "no, he didn't go!"

Never fails to get major laughs, as it is an oldie but a goodie.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 09:05pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
And I thought I was the only one who did that! I even gave myself the two finger tap on the wrist for time plays when I was by myself. Just to make sure my head was in the game. Working solo it's easy to zone out if your not careful.
I give signals for two reasons - 1) To remind my partner of a situation, and 2) To remind MYSELF of a situation. Logically, then, I give signals even when working solo.
JJ
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Nothing ticks me off more (on the bases) than lack of communication from my partner. If I am in the "A" position and there is a fly ball to center field, my responsibility (2 man system) is to the batter-runner not the ball. Now it would be nice to hear "That's a catch, Mario" rather than me high-tailing it, full speed into the infield. Heh, I aint young anymore!

As far as the balls & strikes, I use an indicator and I try to be as accurate as possible. Give the count now and then because I do not give players the count when asked. I stop the action and refer to the PU to give the player the count, "Mr. Umpire, this player needs the count!". That usually puts a stop the that stupidity very quickly. I can't stand someone needing the count every 5 seconds, arrgh! Worse yet, the PU gives the count and "Earl Weaver" in the 3rd base coach's box turns and says "What's the count, Blue?" - double arrrrgh!

Hand signals:
  1. Rotation - closed fist with thumb and pinky sticking out, rotating back & forth a couple of times.
  2. 3rd base coverage - given by the PU as he decides
  3. IFF - closed fist at the hat brim = no outs. One finger on the hat brim = 1 out.
  4. Fly ball coverage - pounding fists on top of each other (PU's signal)
  5. Outs - outs signaled to the side, discreetly.
  6. Time play - number of outs indicated where the watch is worn.
  7. "I Screwed the Pooch!" - hat rotated to the side then forward! (not official - yet!)
All signals are covered in the pre-game meeting and most important, all signals are to be verified by the both umpires!
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Pete,

I looked in the IHSA mechanics manual and this signal has been approved for the 2009 season!

Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Hi all:

Greymule's OP about the Foul Tip signal prompted me for this post

In your view what verbal communication / signals if any should be given. Also, I am talking about a 2 person crew.

Here's an example of a pet peeve of mine.

As BU you are the A Position. Fly ball (can of corn) to F8. Your responsibility as BU is to watch B1 touch first base, watch for a potential OBS on the part of F3 and take the batter turned runner around the bases should they try and advance.

Now even though the catch is a "can of corn" I do not know that so I want my partner to simply say "Pete we got a catch" This also lets the runner know that he is out as well.

I also like to know the count. I still use the indicator on the bases (I know some umpire associations frown on this but it is accepted where I work)

Also, hand signals

1. IFR
2.Timing Play
3. PU will indicate that he has tag up at third and is staying home

There are others as well.

In a nutshell what forms of verbal communication / hand signals if any do you give to your partner.

Pete Booth
I don't believe a lot in signals simply because I've seen way too many umpires who have all of these signals, but don't do anything else.

IOW, they give signals but don't call the game.

About the only signals visual I ever use are, IFR, and timing play.

Everything else is covered in pregame. If my partner messes something up, then I just go ask him what's happened and we fix it for the next time.

Moving to third etc., all done verbally! "i'm going out", "I've got third" etc.,
"good call", "

Thanks
David
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

One of my MAJOR pet peeves is a partner that never acknowledges signals. I don't use a lot of them, just a few to signal pre-pitch coverages when needed. So when I give one, I expect a response. Just me, I guess.

-----------------------