View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Hi all:

Greymule's OP about the Foul Tip signal prompted me for this post

In your view what verbal communication / signals if any should be given. Also, I am talking about a 2 person crew.

Here's an example of a pet peeve of mine.

As BU you are the A Position. Fly ball (can of corn) to F8. Your responsibility as BU is to watch B1 touch first base, watch for a potential OBS on the part of F3 and take the batter turned runner around the bases should they try and advance.

Now even though the catch is a "can of corn" I do not know that so I want my partner to simply say "Pete we got a catch" This also lets the runner know that he is out as well.

I also like to know the count. I still use the indicator on the bases (I know some umpire associations frown on this but it is accepted where I work)

Also, hand signals

1. IFR
2.Timing Play
3. PU will indicate that he has tag up at third and is staying home

There are others as well.

In a nutshell what forms of verbal communication / hand signals if any do you give to your partner.

Pete Booth
I don't believe a lot in signals simply because I've seen way too many umpires who have all of these signals, but don't do anything else.

IOW, they give signals but don't call the game.

About the only signals visual I ever use are, IFR, and timing play.

Everything else is covered in pregame. If my partner messes something up, then I just go ask him what's happened and we fix it for the next time.

Moving to third etc., all done verbally! "i'm going out", "I've got third" etc.,
"good call", "

Thanks
David