View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Nothing ticks me off more (on the bases) than lack of communication from my partner. If I am in the "A" position and there is a fly ball to center field, my responsibility (2 man system) is to the batter-runner not the ball. Now it would be nice to hear "That's a catch, Mario" rather than me high-tailing it, full speed into the infield. Heh, I aint young anymore!

As far as the balls & strikes, I use an indicator and I try to be as accurate as possible. Give the count now and then because I do not give players the count when asked. I stop the action and refer to the PU to give the player the count, "Mr. Umpire, this player needs the count!". That usually puts a stop the that stupidity very quickly. I can't stand someone needing the count every 5 seconds, arrgh! Worse yet, the PU gives the count and "Earl Weaver" in the 3rd base coach's box turns and says "What's the count, Blue?" - double arrrrgh!

Hand signals:
  1. Rotation - closed fist with thumb and pinky sticking out, rotating back & forth a couple of times.
  2. 3rd base coverage - given by the PU as he decides
  3. IFF - closed fist at the hat brim = no outs. One finger on the hat brim = 1 out.
  4. Fly ball coverage - pounding fists on top of each other (PU's signal)
  5. Outs - outs signaled to the side, discreetly.
  6. Time play - number of outs indicated where the watch is worn.
  7. "I Screwed the Pooch!" - hat rotated to the side then forward! (not official - yet!)
All signals are covered in the pre-game meeting and most important, all signals are to be verified by the both umpires!