View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Pete,

Good question. What I try to do is...

Verbal communication:

"That's a catch" or "Ball's down" when I have coverage on a catch/no catch that is not "in front" of my partner.

"Bill, I've got 3rd if he goes" on a 1st to 3rd rotation, followed by "I've got 3rd" if I see a play developing at 3rd or "Bill, I'm going home" if I judge there will be no play at 3rd, but might be one at home. And, "Bill, I'm on the line" when the pre-pitch sitch calls for a 1st to 3rd rotation, but there is a "trouble ball" hit toward the RF line.

"Yes, he did!" (pointing w LH at batter) on a checked swing I judge to be an offer, "Bill, did he go?" (pointing w LH at partner) on a check swing appeal.

"Bill, I've got this end" in a rundown when I'm in position and the play starts moving away from me.

"See you in seven. Don't suck." (w. a "fist bump") as we part company after the plate conference.

Hand signals:

Number of outs, followed by "1st to 3rd" or "staying home". I do this on pretty much each new at bat and any time when the sitch changes during an at bat.

IFF - I go w. a fist for no outs, raised index finger for 1 out to the bill of the cap. (Oddly, I give myself this signal when working solo, a fairly common occurrence during the summer months.) If 3B is open, I follow with a "fist pop", index finger pointing to 3rd for "PU will take R2 into 3B on a tag up".

Time play - Two fingers to the top of the left wrist.

Good call and/or nice hustle on a rotation - discreet "fist pop".

Let's talk during the next 1/2 inning change - forearms crossed.

GLM sighting - thumbs and index fingers together, pointing down, w. tips of index fingers at top of belt buckle, followed by 1 or 3 fingers to indicate which side of field, followed by the row number in the bleachers, starting from the bottom. (I find the alternative mechanic somewhat "indiscreet".)

JM