The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

how many of you use non-verbal signals between PU and BU? For example, showing that I am staying home, etc.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Infield Fly reminder (and removal) is pretty standard.

We (as PU) use a little hand signal to tell the other guy (BU) that we saw a pulled foot.

That's about it.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Worked State American Legion tournament last summer with some very good umpires from another area of the state. They were continually giving signals about their coverage for the upcoming play. PU would signal whether he would be going to third or staying home. BU would confirm by signaling his coverage responsibilities.

Seemed to help keep each other in the game and prevented double coverage.

Of course signals were reiterated vocally once play was happening... "I've got third, if he comes."
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
how many of you use non-verbal signals between PU and BU? For example, showing that I am staying home, etc.
1. Tip o' the brim = IFF

2. Point to the plate = I'm staying home

3. Rotating "horns" = We are rotating (fist with index & little finger out

4. Pound both fists then point to 3rd = On a fly ball, I'll be at 3rd. (Usually a 2nd signal to "I'm at home")

Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

"We (as PU) use a little hand signal to tell the other guy (BU) that we saw a pulled foot"
-----------------------------------------------------
Be seriously concerned folks. Be seriously concerned.

Stick with the signals as listed in the books (or in quality umpire manuals and documents).

Since we work straight CCA mechanics:

In Portland we use "Infield Fly" (and take-off).

We use rotations -- generated by either umpire. Example with R1 we give and confirm the direction of the rotation and who will be where.

We use (with R1 and R2 and less than two out)that the BU has the catch and tag of a fly ball and the PU will have the play at third.

As PU we also signal if we plan to stay at the dish during a specific play.

Some in our group give the "Time Play" signal.

We use all the normal verbal signs (ex: "I'm on the line, I've got third').

We longer verbalize when the BU 'goes out' from "A". We read the BU's back.

Many of us use the "foul tip" signal far less than others.

I am sure there are other "real" signals we use. We don't use ANY 'secret signals'.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Foul Tip

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

[/B]

I worked with a "big dog" in a tournament last weekend. I am calling him a big dog as a compliment, not in derision. He has worked college ball (not D1), a Fed state final, and several State and National tournaments in summer league. He is an excellent umpire.

I had the dish, and about midway through the game there was a foul tip. I was surprised to see him give the signal. I asked him about it after the game and he stated it was standard practice in his association for the base ump to give the signal if there might be any doubt the catcher caught the ball. In my case, the catcher had reached down and out to glove the pitch, so my view was blocked.

Is this routinely done in other areas?
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: Foul Tip

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue37
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

I worked with a "big dog" in a tournament last weekend. I am calling him a big dog as a compliment, not in derision. He has worked college ball (not D1), a Fed state final, and several State and National tournaments in summer league. He is an excellent umpire.

I had the dish, and about midway through the game there was a foul tip. I was surprised to see him give the signal. I asked him about it after the game and he stated it was standard practice in his association for the base ump to give the signal if there might be any doubt the catcher caught the ball. In my case, the catcher had reached down and out to glove the pitch, so my view was blocked.

Is this routinely done in other areas? [/B]
This is done in my association. We also signal on possible dropped third strikes as well.

Another signal we use? Those of us who work tournament ball have a signal for "look at that mom sitting behind the backstop!"
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Rotating of the index fingers (like a traveling call in hoops) means "What's the count?"

Closed fist by our thigh means "How many outs?"

Subtle pat on the chest is our IFF signal.

There's others, but i'll probably learn them when i start doing some games..... damn knee surgery....
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Hey,

TwoBits:

Last night we had a Major League GLM (MiLF) . . . my partner worked "B" squared directly to her rather than the plays.

No base umpire in our local group has EVER signalled a foul tip.

Many of us ONLY signal when PU when it is a checked/unchecked swing issue or a bunt attempt.

Few of us EVER signal foul tip on that great big swing that the bat just touches the ball.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Non-verbals

Without reiterating what several have said, all of the experienced umpires in our assoc. use the standard signs mentioned by DTB, Ozzy, & Tim. This is one of the items that I really push with any of the rookies when I work with them. We go over them in the pregame, and I want them to give the signal back to me. It is the easist way I know to make sure we are both on the same page.

And I always expect my partner to give me Twobit's sign!
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

BU open palm on 3rd strike no catch, fist when catcher cleanly catches strike.

I only ask because I watched a college game this sunday and neither ump used any signals. two-man mechanics, NAIA game. I was surprised, I use them all the time.