The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Base Shoes

I thought I'd take a minute to share my new discovery with you guys. I accidentally left my NB base shoes on the back porch yesterday evening where they were rained on all evening. I didn't realize I'd done it until I was heading out the door tonight to work a game. They were soaked beyond use for the night. Fortunately there's a Dicks Sporting Goods near the field I worked tonight. I stopped in and bought a pair of all black/leather Nike Shocks. Fellas' these shoes are far and away the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn on the bases. They're a little on the pricey side at just over a hundred bucks, but if you're willing to give them a try, your feet and knees will thank you!

Tim.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I thought I'd take a minute to share my new discovery with you guys. I accidentally left my NB base shoes on the back porch yesterday evening where they were rained on all evening. I didn't realize I'd done it until I was heading out the door tonight to work a game. They were soaked beyond use for the night. Fortunately there's a Dicks Sporting Goods near the field I worked tonight. I stopped in and bought a pair of all black/leather Nike Shocks. Fellas' these shoes are far and away the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn on the bases. They're a little on the pricey side at just over a hundred bucks, but if you're willing to give them a try, your feet and knees will thank you!

Tim.
I remember on Rob's site he swore by the Nike Shox for the bases. Can you post a link and/or picture?
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I couldn't find the exact shoe. They're very much like these except the ones I picked up have all leather uppers.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Fri Jul 04, 2008 at 11:21am.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 12:26pm

I remember seeing Jim Wolf wear the NIKE Shox on the bases as well a couple years ago.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I couldn't find the exact shoe. They're very much like these except the ones I picked up have all leather uppers.

Tim.
Do you think they would load up with mud in wet conditions? I dismissed them for that reason, but perhaps I was wrong.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

They're a little more difficult to clean up that other shoes after working on a wet diamond, but not too much more difficult. I just use an old toothbrush with a little water on the heel area. That, or I'll use my wifes toothbrush if we're at odds with each other that day.............

Tim.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

I wore The R4 shox for basketball and realized the out sole was agressive enough to wear outside.... they are fantastic shoes for the bases

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Tim.
OK, am I the only person here who thought of Kramer in that Seinfeld episode where the former wears these weird sneakers that have round, wide front bottoms that are supposed to make him jump higher? He wears them and ends up being perceived as a mentally challenged individual because he came back from the dentist loaded with novocaine and talked funny while wearing the odd-looking shoes.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They're a little more difficult to clean up that other shoes after working on a wet diamond, but not too much more difficult. I just use an old toothbrush with a little water on the heel area. That, or I'll use my wifes toothbrush if we're at odds with each other that day.............

Tim.
Three words: DOW Scrubbing Bubbles.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Three words: DOW Scrubbing Bubbles.
Just chiming in to say I agree with UMP25 - Scrubbing Bubbles is great for cleaning my plate & base shoes & other gear. Works absolutely amazing.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Ump 25

I will give that a try. It is not so much the leather uppers as it is the rubber edge around the sole I have trouble cleaning.

Does it hurt the finish on shoes? I have the new NB shoes and a couple of pairs of LL'ed shoes, ands I don't want to strip the finish off them.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
I will give that a try. It is not so much the leather uppers as it is the rubber edge around the sole I have trouble cleaning.

Does it hurt the finish on shoes? I have the new NB shoes and a couple of pairs of LL'ed shoes, ands I don't want to strip the finish off them.
No - I have both the New Balance 350 base and 450 plate shoes. It does not hurt or strip the finish. In fact, I have used it many times and the shoes appear like new when used with the Scrubbing Bubbles. Its not a bleach or anything like that.

All I do is spray the stuff on and let it sit for about 30-45 seconds. Once it begins to dissolve, Ill take a old, wet toothbrush and scrub finally rinsing the shoes off when I am done. When I worked a regional game I used the scrubbing bubbles on my plate shoes. My crewmates said - wow nice new shoes. I told them the shoes were over a year old but looked new. Try it - you will be surprised how good it is.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I use standard sports shoe cleaner on both my NB450 and NB350's. They have that nifty little scrubber top, doubles great as a toothbrush. I do have a peskey little scuff on the toe of my plate shoe where a ball hit it. It rubbed the black off it and now I see a little bit of blue, very strange. Is there a polish that will get rid of that little blue mark?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
No - I have both the New Balance 350 base and 450 plate shoes. It does not hurt or strip the finish. In fact, I have used it many times and the shoes appear like new when used with the Scrubbing Bubbles. Its not a bleach or anything like that.

All I do is spray the stuff on and let it sit for about 30-45 seconds. Once it begins to dissolve, Ill take a old, wet toothbrush and scrub finally rinsing the shoes off when I am done. When I worked a regional game I used the scrubbing bubbles on my plate shoes. My crewmates said - wow nice new shoes. I told them the shoes were over a year old but looked new. Try it - you will be surprised how good it is.
I rarely use a toothbrush anymore. I spray a muddy shoe with Scrubbing Bubbles and let sit until the stuff dissolves. Then I take my water spray bottle--everyone should have one of these with them, for it makes things easier--and spray the shoes. Everything literally drips right off, dirt and all. The Scrubbing Bubbles dissolves and loosens up the mud while the water further liquifies it and allows it to wash right off.

Go to Walgreen's or some similar place and get one of those $2 plastic garden water spray bottles, the one that has a strong spray and can adjust to a stream by turning the nozzle. It makes cleaning much easier.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
They have that nifty little scrubber top, doubles great as a toothbrush.
"It's a floor wax! It's a dessert topping!"