The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Several years ago, I bought a pair of inexpensive adult softball cleats (hard plastic cleats, not metal) to use as base shoes. I had been using a pair of black tennis shoes before this, and I wanted something that would provide greater grip, but couldn't bring myself to spend ~$75 on "name brand, official base shoes." I've never seen another umpire using cleats for base shoes.

Now, it is time to replace these shoes, and I have been looking around in the various catalogs and web sites at shoes that are marketed as turf shoes, officials shoes (e.g. NFL), base shoes, etc., and I am having a hard time giving up the security I get with the cleats for the much less aggressive tread pattern I see on the base, turf, whatever shoes. So, I've decided to replace my worn-out cleats with another pair of cleats.

Long-winded intro to this question...

Given that softball cleats are light-weight, give good support, have leather uppers that can take a shine, and provide excellent grip in all conditions (dirt infield, mud, wet grass, whatever), and can be found in all black (at most, you would have to die the white swipe) why don't more umpires use ordinary cleats for base shoes?

Do you use (or know anybody who uses) cleats for base shoes?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't use them because my feet would hurt from standing on them for more than one game (I do SP). I did know a guy who wore golf shoes on the bases!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I wear all black cross trainer style shoes (New Balance) for field shoes because they are light weight, comfortable(especially for long periods such as tournaments), give excellent arch support, and provide great traction on all surfaces (i.e. dirt or grass.) Also, I don't shine my field shoes, but make sure that they are spotlessly clean before all games. My plate shoes, though, are another matter. I like to be able to see my reflection in them.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
My plate shoes, though, are another matter. I like to be able to see my reflection in them.
Scott,

Are you sure it's your reflection that you like to see in you shoes. J/K, I guess you can tell where my mind is.

SamC

Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Are you sure it's your reflection that you like to see in you shoes. J/K, I guess you can tell where my mind is.

SamC

Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Good one Sam. Great smiley's with great emphasis.

He got you Scott.

I use a military dress shoe for bases, [sometimes even on
the dish]. Have used them for several years. Souls are not
bad at all and the shine, WOW. I am not sure I could stand
too long in the Texas heat with cleats on. Feet would really
get to hurting.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Long-winded intro to this question...

Given that softball cleats are light-weight, give good support, have leather uppers that can take a shine, and provide excellent grip in all conditions (dirt infield, mud, wet grass, whatever), and can be found in all black (at most, you would have to die the white swipe) why don't more umpires use ordinary cleats for base shoes?

Do you use (or know anybody who uses) cleats for base shoes?
Yep, I use them, even behind the plate in SP. I've gotten so use to them, I forget to change them to drive. However, with the new season coming quickly, I've decided to try these Spotbilt shoes with tiny studs on them. They seem to grip well and didn't cost too much. We'll see what happens.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

I have settled in on New Balance. Not too expensive and they come in extra wide sizes. Very comfortable and easy to maintain.

Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I think the comfort of the shoe is as important as the traction. I do not get to sit on the bench half the game as the teams do and I often have to do multiple games in a row.

That being said, for me I love Converse shoes because they fit my feet well. I cannot wear Nikes because the high arch support does not work. At times I will buy something cheaper, but find cheaper ones wear too quickly sometimes.

Converse usually has a "studded turf shoe" that I like very much. I think ever couple of years they discontinue the current model and make a new one. It is usally about the same, but changes the asthetics. I think it is marketed under "coach's shoe" sometimes.

I will give up some of the traction before I will give up a proper fit and feel. My impression is that many styles of cleats do not give me the flexibility I need.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:08pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I bought Mizuno turf shoes, exactly the same kinds the guys that work the baseball College World Series wear. They're good shoes for bases. I work alot of slow pitch, and these shoes were good, especially when going out into the field to cover short flies.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Wink

Am I the only one wearing Reebok base shoes and Commanche plate shoes?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Cool

For about 15 years of umpiring, I've worn turf shoes. I did wear adult softball cleats the 1st 2 years (had them from playing and no $ to spend on equipment). They greatly contributed to big heal spurs which became very, very painful. Wearing turf shoes with heel cups and pads and a little Aleve before games helped.
Then I found the Nike football officials shoe! Extremely comfortable from the first time I put them on and lasted 2 long seasons! I have bought them ever since. They were recommended by a man that owns a referee/umpire store that's here locally, and officiates football. They're great shoes!
Oh, and BTW, I've never worn steel toed plate shoes, ever!
No foot injuries and they're just plain uncomfortable.
I've had more injuries to my hands and fore arms than anywhere else. I use a wide stance, and hang my hands down between my legs as I was trained, but now I think when I go back to umpiring, I just might buy some padded fore arm guards!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Smile RE: Cleats

Elaine,

Just wear your high heel dress ups and you will have
plenty of "cleat" .

[Edited by whiskers_ump on Jan 12th, 2004 at 05:39 AM]
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elaine "Lady Blue"
...but now I think when I go back to umpiring, ...
Does that mean you're unretiring, Elaine?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elaine "Lady Blue"
Oh, and BTW, I've never worn steel toed plate shoes, ever!
No foot injuries and they're just plain uncomfortable.
I've had more injuries to my hands and fore arms than anywhere else. I use a wide stance, and hang my hands down between my legs as I was trained, but now I think when I go back to umpiring, I just might buy some padded fore arm guards!
Instead of buying forearm protection, Elaine, you could always buy one of those outside the shirt big ol' balloon style chest protectors! Plenty of room to hide your arms behind one of those.

As far as plate shoes go, I do wear them. My philosophy is not to wait until I need them, because then it is too late. I wear the Riddell low top style plate shoe, and have for some time, and find them to be quite comfortable.