The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Interference on a DP

Went to a game today. 1 out R1. Grounder to short, flips to second baseman who is way off the bag. BU calls the runner safe. BR is safe by 5 feet but I hear "out". BU called interference at 2nd and BR out but let the runner stay at second.

Is this possible? I know he missed it when he didn't kill the play but how can the runner remain at second? 7.09 f says they both should be called out but 6.05 m is worded differently and only rules the batter out.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin
Went to a game today. 1 out R1. Grounder to short, flips to second baseman who is way off the bag. BU calls the runner safe. BR is safe by 5 feet but I hear "out". BU called interference at 2nd and BR out but let the runner stay at second.

Is this possible? I know he missed it when he didn't kill the play but how can the runner remain at second? 7.09 f says they both should be called out but 6.05 m is worded differently and only rules the batter out.
I'm assuming FED rules? But if interference is called on this play it should result in a DP - the FPSR.

But, hard to believe he would call interference on R2 and then allow him to stay on the bag.

What did the runner do to cause interference would be my question especially since the F4 was off the bag. The only thing I can think of would be an illegal slide.

Strange play

Thanks
David
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 09:35pm

Quote:
I'm lost here. F4 is way off the bag. BU calls R1 safe. So far, so good.

Now, if F4 is way off the base, and R1 slid safely into 2nd base, how did he manage to interfere with a fielder who was "way off the base?" Are you sure the fielder was way off the base, or just a little off the base?

If FED, because of the FPSR and the fact that you can't slide any way except straight in to the base, why call him safe? But if this is an OBR game, R1 can certainly take out F4 as long as he can touch the base.

Please give me just three details. The rules set used, how far off the base was F4, and how did R1 slide into 2nd.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Please give me just three details. The rules set used, how far off the base was F4, and how did R1 slide into 2nd.
OBR, 2 feet off the base, looked like a straight slide to me but I followed the ball to first so I didn't see what happened next.

My biggest question is how a runner can interfere but be allowed to stay on base.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
My biggest question is how a runner can interfere but be allowed to stay on base.
FTVMartin,

That's an excellent question.

He can't!

JM
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
they are both out if the interference is in an attempt to break up a double play (7.09f.) since the runner going to 2nd was already safe, there can no longer be a double play and only the batter/runner is out for the interference of a preceding runner (6.05m.)
Bobby:

Please explain your reasoning further. None of the examples in 6.05(m), or in the JEA cite this possiblity. Granted, as strict reading of the preface could be contrued this way, but when one reads further it is clear that the rule was written to get a double play.

Also, wouldn't 7.08 apply to interference by a preceding runner and if so, that would cause him to be called out as well...no?

7.08 Any runner is out when-
(b)He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball;
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Ump153,

While I would be (at least among) the first to say that bobby knows more about this stuff than I do, I believe he has misspoken in this case.

JM
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
i just deleted my original post cuz i realized i was unclear in it due to alcohol consumption. i was trying to explain the differences between the 2 rules that were cited in the OP, and i said "only" where i shouldn't have then left out the damn rule difference i was trying to explain. should have done some proof reading before posting and going to bed. damn yuengling. anyway, sorry bout that. this is what my edited post would have looked like...

7.09(f) says they are both out if the interference is in an attempt to break up a double play. since the runner going to 2nd was already safe, there can no longer be a double play. 6.05(m) says that we are going to call the batter/runner out for the interference of a preceding runner, but only if he is attempting to break up a double play, which he was not cuz he was already called safe at 2B. R1 should have been called out for interference, and the b/r should have been awarded 1B.

Last edited by bobbybanaduck; Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 03:34pm.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

7.08 Any runner is out when-
(b)He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball;
i'm not sure what the interference call was for in the OP, but i would guess that 7.08 would not apply. he certainly wasn't interfering with a fielder making a play on a batted ball, so we can eliminate that. the interference with a thrown ball in 7.08 is actually talking about interfering with the ball, not with the fielder, i.e R1 reaches up and knocks the ball out of the air, which i don't think was the case cuz it sounds like the ball made it to 1B in the OP.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
... R1 should have been called out for interference, and the b/r should have been awarded 1B.
Well, I certainly wouldn't argue with that!

JM
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I would call it this way:

If the INT occurs clearly AFTER R1 was safe (e.g., pop-up slide): then there's no DP, "Time, that's interference." R1 out on the INT, BR awarded 1B (it's an award because the ball is dead).

If the INT occurs AS R1 reaches 2B or BEFORE (hands up, collision, etc.): then the INT is an attempt to break up the DP, "Time, that's interference" R1 and BR out.

We usually see the latter scenario.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i just deleted my original post cuz i realized i was unclear in it due to alcohol consumption. i was trying to explain the differences between the 2 rules that were cited in the OP, and i said "only" where i shouldn't have then left out the damn rule difference i was trying to explain. should have done some proof reading before posting and going to bed. damn yuengling. anyway, sorry bout that. this is what my edited post would have looked like...
Much clearer and accurate...thanks.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

beers + typing = not very clear.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Now I know why they tell us not to drink 12 hours before our games. Or is it 24 hours? I forget.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2008, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Now I know why they tell us not to drink 12 hours before our games. Or is it 24 hours? I forget.
Maybe the ump in the OP thought it was 1-2, or 2-4 hours before??