The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Wilson WV 3409 shin guards

Hey all. I recently purchased a pair of the Wilson WV 3409 shins to replace my totally worn out Carlucci shins. I had my first dish assignment in 2 weeks last night so I finally got a chance to strap them on. About the bottom of the second I heard the familiar tearing sound that velcro gives off when it is seperating. The entire knee assembly was now apart and flopping. I reattached and snugged the velcro pieces together only to have it happen again 2 innings later. Help me out here, what's the trick to keeping these shins together? Thanks.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the secret...

Send the Wilson's back and by yourself a pair of Douglas shinguards:

www.douglaspads.com

But Shhhhhh.... don't tell anyone - it's a secret
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

attatch the lower knee cup to the velcro (It will actually be a little below your actual knee) attatch the upper cup just above it(closer to your actual knee) Cut off the flapping top of the foot guard.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 03:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES
Here's the secret...

Send the Wilson's back and by yourself a pair of Douglas shinguards:

www.douglaspads.com

But Shhhhhh.... don't tell anyone - it's a secret
You are absolutely right. Best guards ever, IMO. Now Tim's (BigUmp) son has them. Hey Tim, how's he liking the Douglas?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I agree about the Wilson guards. I finally gave up on them and pitched them. I currently use the Gerry Davis shins that only have two straps on each guard and I really like them so far. Have taken a couple of good shots off them and didn't feel it.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard
Hey all. I recently purchased a pair of the Wilson WV 3409 shins to replace my totally worn out Carlucci shins. I had my first dish assignment in 2 weeks last night so I finally got a chance to strap them on. About the bottom of the second I heard the familiar tearing sound that velcro gives off when it is seperating. The entire knee assembly was now apart and flopping. I reattached and snugged the velcro pieces together only to have it happen again 2 innings later. Help me out here, what's the trick to keeping these shins together? Thanks.
I purchased the Wilson West Vest Pro Umpire Shin Guards (#A3409) this season and love them. I wouldn't use any other, to be honest. I love the adjustability and have never had a problem with the knee assembly coming part. However, I just realized after looking up which model I have that I don't wrap the straps around as shown on Wilson's website I go straight across with the top strap and then cross the other two sets. It holds it firm against my knee to avoid the knee from un-velco-ing. I really enjoy this product and would suggest it for anyone!

-Josh
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
You are absolutely right. Best guards ever, IMO. Now Tim's (BigUmp) son has them. Hey Tim, how's he liking the Douglas?
He hasn't been given the chance to use them, Steve. He uses the Honigs that Brian Curtain sent me, and I use the Douglas. Love them almost as much as the V-Sport protector you sent!

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 11:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
He hasn't been given the chance to use them, Steve. He uses the Honigs that Brian Curtain sent me, and I use the Douglas. Love them almost as much as the V-Sport protector you sent!

Tim.
It warms my heart to know that my gear is now protecting your upper body and legs. Now, if we could just figure out a way to protect the side of your head, we'd have something!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
John, you use the Davis shins? I'm thinking of getting a set and I have heard great reviews about them.

BTW, Tim, HSM worn 100% of the time. YOu can fit it with a fan and misting system.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
It warms my heart to know that my gear is now protecting your upper body and legs. Now, if we could just figure out a way to protect the side of your head, we'd have something!
I've decided that although I'm not a fan of wearing a HSM while on the stick, I'm going to keep one nearby to wear when they're taking infield. Maybe I'll get one of those neat "hooks" for the back of my belt to hang it on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino

BTW, Tim, HSM worn 100% of the time. YOu can fit it with a fan and misting system.
Bob, are you saying it's possible that I'm a hot head?

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
No No, not a hot head!! I'm just suggesting you keep the HSM for between inning protection. The liquid refreshment and misting system is for your between inning enjoyment.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

My old +POS guards are dying quickly, and need replaced. Are the Douglas guards that good? Anyother decent alternatives other than Carlucci?
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
My old +POS guards are dying quickly, and need replaced. Are the Douglas guards that good? Anyother decent alternatives other than Carlucci?
The Honigs K-20's worked well for me for two or three seasons, and they're still in great shape for my son to use. I'd still be wearing them if Steve Myers hadn't have thrown the Douglas in with a CP I bought from him. I work with guys that swear by the Wilson's they wear. You might want to see what guys you work with use and try a few different makes and models on for size.............

Tim.