The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Suspended Game During Pitching Change

I was working a Babe Ruth 15yo district playoff game last night. During a pitching change (new pitcher was warming up) we saw lightning. We immediately got everyone off the field. The lightning continued until we had no choice but to the suspend the game. My question is what happens if the pitcher who was warming up is not available when the game is resumed?
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Undere most codes, the pitcher has been in the game, but need not be the pitcher when the game resumes (the "must pitch to one batter or retire the side" rules doesn't apply when a game is suspended)
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Bob, Thanks for your reply. So under OBR he would not be required to pitch to a batter?
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Correct. I had the same sitch last year and screwed up the rule, but luckily no one knew it any better than I did. The pitcher warming up is NOT required to pitch when the game is resumed.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I had it explained to me that until the ball is put in play, he would not be considered a pitcher.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Hey folks, try the rule book:

Rule 4.12(c) Comment: If immediately prior to the call of a suspended game, a substitute pitcher has been announced but has not retired the side or pitched until the batter becomes a baserunner, such pitcher, when the suspended game is later resumed may, but is not required to start the resumed portion of the game. However, if he does not start he will be considered as having been substituted for and may not be used in that game.