The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 08:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
That's what I see also. Basically he kicks his leg which makes it look unusual, but his knee doesn't move toward home at all.

With two man never going to call it, and even if I'm U3, it looks like he stepped right toward third.

From looking at part 2, the umpires must have not done a very good job explaining it to the coach, but that's a game management thread.

Thanks
David
I guess I'm wondering how "the leg moving towards home plate" is a balk. If the leg doesn't go past the 45 degree line between home and third, how is this anything but a good pickoff move? The step was always "towards third" since that foot never crossed that line.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I guess I'm wondering how "the leg moving towards home plate" is a balk. If the leg doesn't go past the 45 degree line between home and third, how is this anything but a good pickoff move? The step was always "towards third" since that foot never crossed that line.
If an umpire did call a balk on my F1 that used that move, that would be the exact question I would ask the umpire.

As someone had already mentioned, this is basically the same move that we allow LHP to use all the time, and someone did a very good job of learning how to do that from the right side.

Obviously it fooled the offense, coach included which is why he complained.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Here's why, Rich.

From the J/R:

It is a balk if a pitcher -

2 Commits to pitch but fails to do so.

Set Mode: The pitcher is committed to pitch when, after coming set*, he shows movement toward home plate. Such movement includes leaning his body toward home plate, and beginning or rotating his free leg toward home plate.

Tim.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 02:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Here's why, Rich.

From the J/R:

It is a balk if a pitcher -

2 Commits to pitch but fails to do so.

Set Mode: The pitcher is committed to pitch when, after coming set*, he shows movement toward home plate. Such movement includes leaning his body toward home plate, and beginning or rotating his free leg toward home plate.

Tim.
Reasonable. But I doubt a 2-umpire crew is going to see that.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

He stepped more toward home than 3B before he threw to 3B. BALK.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 10:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
That I'll disagree with. The step is definitely more towards third.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I don't agree with that at all either, and you have to remember to apply the same principles that you use with the LHP at first as you do the RHP at third.

I think that's the problem with picks at third, we don't see very many of them, and we surely don't see a good move very often.

this was a very good, well rehearsed move.

thanks
David
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
irregardless is not a word.

irregardless

an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing from 1912, probably a blend of irrespective and regardless. Perhaps inspired by the double negative used as an emphatic.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

gotta balk that one!

IMHO:

that step was more to home than third. As plate umpire, I'm getting this one, same as LHP doing this to first. To me, his body mechanics (note how his arm has to drop down, can't throw 'over the top' because of body momentum going to the plate.) make this one pretty easy to see - IF you're paying attention. Rule states you gotta step TO the base you're throwing to, and when his arm has to counteract his body momentum to this extent seems like he didn't step in that direction. And besides, where is this '45 foot' line you guys keep talking about? Never seen it marked on any field I've worked!
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That I'll disagree with. The step is definitely more towards third.
Rich,

F1 started toward HP before the pick off. You can see his body & free leg move forward, then his free leg loop back toward 3B. F1 then had to lean back and sidearm the throw. Balk all the way.

FYI - this was a three umpire crew so no excuses for the miss! U1 must have been sleeping as it's a VERY easy call from short A.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

I got three words for ya.... Thats(1) a (2) BALK(3)

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

I just dont see the body moving towards home. It would seem any movement towards home, then a shift to third would look a lot more awkward than this. As mentioned before, this is a move not seen too often, so the initial thought is to think balk. Especially by offensive team, of course.
This just looks like a good move.