The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 09:04pm
Administrator

Granting timeout for a defensive conference.

NFHS Rules:

R1 and R2, with two outs and a one-one count one B5. F1's next pitch is in the dirt for a ball which gets away from F2. F2 is quick enough in recoving the ball that R1 and R2 do not advance. F2 returns the ball to F1 who is standing behind the mound. At this point it should be noted that R1 and R2 are 12 to 15 feet off of their respective bases and are attempting to draw a throw from F1. DHC tells F2 to request timeout. PU refuses to grant F2's request because of the possible play on either R1 and R2. Should PU have granted F2's request for a timeout or should PU wait until R1 and R2 have returned to their respective bases?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
He should have waited. Umpires are not the tenth man on defense.

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
If there's a chance of a play or runners advancing I'm not granting the request for time. Let the defense do what they're supposed to do. It appears that all F1 had to do was to take a step or two towards second base and R2 would have returned to the bag.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, anytime there is an oppurtunity for defense or offense to complete a play, it is our responsibilty to let them proceed to it's conclusion. Also depending upon the level, this includes injuries.

Eg. Semi-pro league. R1 goes on pitch, catcher bobbles ball, picks it up and throws, bam, right to the back of the pitchers head looking at 2nd. Pitcher out cold, goes down and time is called after ball is retrieved and R1 is at third.

Little League, I have "Time out" called immediately.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Where is the defensive conference (as specified in the title)? Was the coach coming out of dugout to talk with the pitcher?

Personally, I never declare the ball dead in this situation. In fact, I declare the ball very few times during a game. Just because time is requested does not necessarily mean it is granted. The games go a lot quicker and smooth if it isn't interrupted by needless declaration of dead ball every other play.

The instances I do kill the play, if there is a slide into a base and the plate/bag needs to be shoveled off, foul ball, ball goes out of play, conferences, someone needs to address a uniform issue (ie tucking the jersey in), balk, etc...

It is unneeded to protect the defense from an errant throw when the ball reaches the infield and the shortstop wants time to throw it to the pitcher. I won't grant that. Maybe I'm just a harda$$.

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
R2, F1 is looking at R2, then back at catcher. Batter is getting antsy, and the F1 is still standing there. F1 begins to move, R2 takes a step toward 3b. As the 'daylight' play unfolds,the Batter asks for time. F1 wheels and picks R2 off for an out.

If you grant that batter's request, you negate the out and have a crap storm on your hands.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I too do not give time when requested without a legitamate reason.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
It is unneeded to protect the defense from an errant throw when the ball reaches the infield and the shortstop wants time to throw it to the pitcher. I won't grant that. Maybe I'm just a harda$$.
-Josh
No, you're not......When an infielder asks me for time, I usually ask "why"?, and get a sheepish meek response of "so I ah, dont throw it over the ah, pitchers head" as they look to the ground...