The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

A1 OOB for throwin following travel violation by B. Administering Official hands ball to A1, B2 signals for timeout [ball already in A's hands for throw-in]. Trail official grants the TO. Should he have ignored the request since ball was at disposal of thrower?

I just want to clarify for myself, when a TO should or should not be granted in this case.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

You are correct, he should not have granted the timeout once the ball is at the disposal of A.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 09:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner
A1 OOB for throwin following travel violation by B. Administering Official hands ball to A1, B2 signals for timeout [ball already in A's hands for throw-in]. Trail official grants the TO. Should he have ignored the request since ball was at disposal of thrower?

I just want to clarify for myself, when a TO should or should not be granted in this case.
golfdesigner,
Yeah, what devdog69 said. But once we grant it, we have to go with it. We screw it up. We take the heat.
mick
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I know about the screw-up part, I did it Sat on 5th grade game, visitors in blue jerseys with white tee shirts underneath. home team in white jerseys. I am lead, running down court on fastbreak, team calls time out, I glance at bench see coach with lots of "white" around him, I call grant timeout. As soon as play stops I see my mistake, white had ball on fastbreak, blue not entitled to timeout, but when I glanced over, I saw a lot of white, but not the "right" white. We stopped, gave blue timeout, then went on from there. I told coaches on white my mistake, they were good about it and asked if they could call TO next time blue had fastbreak, I said they could try, but I hoped I wouldn't make same mistake 2x in same game.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:10am
In Memoriam

Unhappy

Quote:
I know about the screw-up part, I did it Sat on 5th grade game, visitors in blue jerseys with white tee shirts underneath. home team in white jerseys. I am lead, running down court on fastbreak, team calls time out, I glance at bench see coach with lots of "white" around him, I call grant timeout. As soon as play stops I see my mistake, white had ball on fastbreak, blue not entitled to timeout, but when I glanced over, I saw a lot of white, but not the "right" white. We stopped, gave blue timeout, then went on from there. I told coaches on white my mistake, they were good about it and asked if they could call TO next time blue had fastbreak, I said they could try, but I hoped I wouldn't make same mistake 2x in same game.
golfdesigner,
Ouch! I feel your pain.
Nearly a 1/2-dozen times, the visiting coach will be wearing a white shirt, and I have reported a "White" time-out.
I just wanna hide.
mick
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

OK, since no one else has pointed out the obvious then i guess i will, If the white undershirt is showing, then this is an illegal undershirt. Undershirts must be of simular color.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:57am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
OK, since no one else has pointed out the obvious then i guess i will, If the white undershirt is showing, then this is an illegal undershirt. Undershirts must be of simular color.
Bart,
That's the rule.
But the lowest that I have enforced that rule is 8th grade, and only once.
However, I do like to go into the pre-tip huddle and mention, "That shirt is illegal, that shirt is illegal, that shirt...."
mick
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

interesting, Maybe because the higher level the less likely you will see it. I have made a kid in boys varsity take it off. One time i had a rec. league game and the team passed the ball on a fast break to a player with undershirt color of the opponent. I stopped the game right there and made him take the shirt off and gave the ball back to the other team.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 10:22pm
Administrator

Quote:

The official should have not granted the timeout, having said that, NFHS and NCAA rules handle this situation differently.

NFHS: Team B gets its timeout. Team A has the ball for a throw-in after the timeout is over.

NCAA: Official says: "Oops, what a dunce I am. Team B does not get a timeout, Team A's ball for the throw-in. Lets go."
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
interesting, Maybe because the higher level the less likely you will see it. I have made a kid in boys varsity take it off. One time i had a rec. league game and the team passed the ball on a fast break to a player with undershirt color of the opponent. I stopped the game right there and made him take the shirt off and gave the ball back to the other team.
Bart, to me this is an excellent example of officiating to the spirit of the rules. Well done!

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee