The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

In a recent 12U tournament, one team began every defensive half of the inning by gathering all 11 players and 2 batgirls (ages 7 and 9) at the pitcher's mound. They all knelt down and conducted a cheer of sorts while pounding the ground. The two umpires (I was spectator only) are two of the senior umps in our organization - they allowed this every inning. A number of spectators, including coaches of other teams in the tourny said this was illegal. Opionions and applicable rules?
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

As long as they complete everything (including warmup pitches) within the alloted 1 minute, it may be annoying but it is not illegal (possible exception of the bat girls).
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

There may be something illegal about letting the non-players out there on the field... but that would be picking nits.

The only restriction here is that the warmup period must only be 1 minute (which is pretty dang short), and that once the umpire begins the inning, the pitcher has 20 seconds to throw a pitch. The team could have been in violation of either of these... but a great many umpires do let far too much dawdling go on between innings.

Had a local team that HAD to huddle before each half inning. Often, their pitcher got zero or one pitch to warm up, but it was their choice how they spent their minute.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

It is however illegal in FED ball, no huddles. In ASA play there better be a pitch on the way within one minute. Call a ball for the huddle thing once, they'll stop real quick. Of course it then becomes all about you being an OOO.

Bob
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

With 12U, I wouldn't go immediately to calling balls. I'd let the coach know he has ~1:00 to get his defense on the field and ready to play, but I don't really care how he uses that minute.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Tom, give the coach the warning about only having one minute, then play ball whether the pitcher has warmups or not. I can see the reason for the huddles at that age is to make the game a little more fun and actually might get the players to hustle out.