The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Question

My understanding of the rules is that in FED the pitcher may touch his pitching hand to his mouth while on the mound as long as he wipes off that hand before it touches the ball. In OBR the pitcher may not touch his pitching hand to his mouth anywhere within the dirt portion of the pitching mound[Baseball Rules Differences 17th Edition *336 [pg 62]

My experience doing Connie Mack ball in the summer is that expectations of pitchers and coaches is that this will be called using OBR the same way it is called in High School i.e. the pitcher can do so on the mound [but not the rubber] as long as he wipes it off. This is the way we call it in Nassau County on Long Island. Any comments?
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 07:19pm
Veteran College Umpire

Your understanding of the FED and OBR interps is correct. Hard to enforce OBR in summer ball with FED players, and much "preventive officiating" is done rather than balk 'em all the time. Coaches appreciate it until tournament time, when they want it called!
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Pitcher Goes To MOUTH

Please see the corrected subject. I should have written Mouth rather than "Mound". I made a mistake.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Ump20
My understanding of the rules is that in FED the pitcher may touch his pitching hand to his mouth while on the mound as long as he wipes off that hand before it touches the ball. In OBR the pitcher may not touch his pitching hand to his mouth anywhere within the dirt portion of the pitching mound[Baseball Rules Differences 17th Edition *336 [pg 62]

My experience doing Connie Mack ball in the summer is that expectations of pitchers and coaches is that this will be called using OBR the same way it is called in High School i.e. the pitcher can do so on the mound [but not the rubber] as long as he wipes it off. This is the way we call it in Nassau County on Long Island. Any comments?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I see this all the time, we got Senior Babe Ruth out west here, Colt for the younger ones. Heck, I like the FED rule, saves time and confusion for F1! Just lick and wipe....But, I don't nail em on it in summerball. I like the smiley dude you put in What coding is this, never seen it before. Any others????
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Student To Teacher in Six Seconds

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Quote:
Originally posted by Ump20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I see this all the time, we got Senior Babe Ruth out west here, Colt for the younger ones. Heck, I like the FED rule, saves time and confusion for F1! Just lick and wipe....But, I don't nail em on it in summerball. I like the smiley dude you put in What coding is this, never seen it before. Any others????
Amazing how quick you're asked for lessons on something you just learned. Check out Warren's response On Changing Calls. It's posted earlier tonight on the fourth page.

Quote:
Jim, if you click on the link Smilies are ON, which appears on every page, you will see the complete list of available smilies, including this little "rolleyes" guy.

Cheers,

[Edited by Warren Willson on Feb 25th, 2001 at 05:41 PM]
He gave me the lowdown on how to make Smileys such as Jim/NY