View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Talking Can a pitcher request the mound be raked, dirt added, or repaired during an inning?

All:

Had this come up in a little league playoff game (9 years old) last night and would appreciate any feedback I can get.

BACKGROUND
==============
The pitcher's mound was rock hard and steep (as was the rest of the field). As the game wore on, it became more and more slippery. There was a good size pit in a landing area which I would say was at best be an extended reach for your average 10 year old. The last couple of innings would up becoming a walk fest as pitchers couldn't gain any footing. At first I thought it was just kids who were not that proficient. Then I began to noticed a couple of the league's better pitchers stuggling their landing foot kept sliding down the hill and were unable to plant. It was unfortunate that this had to be during a playoff game with so much on the line. The pitcher who would up walking in some guys at the game's end left the field devastated and in tears.

THE QUESTIONS
============
In the 5th inning (or a scheduled 6 inning game), the umpire actually walked over to the pitcher and asked if possibly he'd like a water bottle's worth or water spread out over the landing area to reduce the sliding. It seemed like a good idea. The questions.......1> Is this or any other modification like raking the mound, adding dirt allowed during an inning either by request of the player and/or umpire? 2> Can the ump just make a ruling on this, both coaches need to agree or something else? Is there a rule? 3> Can the pitcher request to pitch from just in from of the rubber so he lands in the hole and doesn't slide down the hill?

Thanks so much.

EB Baseball Guy