The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Plate Problems...

I'm 5'11, 160 soaking wet. I use a heel toe stance with my right arm locked on my right knee and my left arm curled in towards to where my hand rests on my belt buckle.

I like using the GD system and giving myself just a touch of room behind the catcher. I've always found this to help me with timing and also in keeping a firm, steady stance.

Today, I realized something using this stance. I can't see the ball into the mitt at times, particularly at the ball at the knees. Then, I realized that perhaps this is directly related to the biggest problem I have as a PU, calling a consistant bottom part of the zone.

So, I played around a bit today in subtle ways. I moved closer to the catcher. But I started flinching and actually on one pitch closed my eyes. So I moved back. I tried to stand up a bit in my stance, and keep my back more perpendicular to the ground. That got my head a bit higher. I then brought my feet a little bit closer together. Again, head higher.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is other than to put my conscious out there for others to read. Are these good adjustments? What should I be looking for to know my positioning is good? Is it enough to just see over the catcher's helmet to the outside corner at the knees? If I am supposed to see the ball into the mitt, and visualize it again in my head, shouldn't I actually be able to see the catcher's glove?

What else do I need to do?

I know its hard to give advice on this stuff if you don't actually see me or my stance... I'm just looking for a general framework I guess to get me back on track. Maybe I can get a video or at least some pictures up.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

This is hard to answer without seeing you...but, with that said, my guess would be go with your first adjustment (closer to the catcher) AND make sure you are over in the slot and then work on overcoming your flinching problem.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

First of all, it is good to experiment, to find out what is comfortable to you. Your the one that needs to be able to have a consistent strike zone and still minimize your exposure to injury. There is NO perfect stance that works for everyone.

Having said that, a fellow umpire once suggested I go to what used to be called the wrestlers stand directly behind the catcher. I was having many problems in the slot seeing the outside pitch. One day, I tried the recommended stance and put myself directly behind the catcher and right over the center of the catchers head. Instantly, I found myself seeing the entire zone and being able watch, not so much the ball into the catchers glove but, read how the catcher was catching the ball. (Eg. Usually the catcher has to turn his glove over if the pitch is below the bottom of the strike zone. Not only does it look like a ball, but MOST of the time it is.) (And no not a big hanging duce). The catcher movement gives you many clues to indicate were the pitch was compared to the more visiable zone you are now looking at.

I was also able to clearly see both sides of the plate and started opening my zone wider yet stay consistant up down.

I expermented with that position and finally settled into one that put me just over the catchers head, and slightly into the slot (Right- Left).

May or may not work for you but, just for the heck of it, try one time setting up directly behind the catcher, just above his head and see how it feels.

From there, you can go to a Gerry Davis stance , Frank Sinature, Dean Martin or Chubby Checkers and find out what works for YOU.

Good Luck

Last edited by jicecone; Sat May 31, 2008 at 09:26am.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Good advise already given.

You may want to combine those given and work more toward the slot and up higher. I have tried working high and in the slot more this year and have had many compliments on my consistancy. You can see both the zone, from working higher, and up and down from the slot.

Usually as you say, you miss the outside corner, but the catcher usually gives that pitch away by his glove movement. Also by working higher you can get a good look at it.

You ask, "What should I be looking for to know my positioning is good?"

When you don't have to eject anyone for arguing balls and strikes.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11

I use a heel toe stance with my right arm locked on my right knee and my left arm curled in towards to where my hand rests on my belt buckle.

I like using the GD system and giving myself just a touch of room behind the catcher. I've always found this to help me with timing and also in keeping a firm, steady stance.
Since the above is so contradictory and your description of positioing with the GD stance is not part of the GD stance, it is really difficult to know where to begin to help you.

Which is it, do you use a heel toe position in the slot, or do you use the GD stance, or do you use a self-modified version of the GD stance?
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm 5'11, 160 soaking wet. I use a heel toe stance with my right arm locked on my right knee and my left arm curled in towards to where my hand rests on my belt buckle.

Today, I realized something using this stance. I can't see the ball into the mitt at times, particularly at the ball at the knees. Then, I realized that perhaps this is directly related to the biggest problem I have as a PU, calling a consistant bottom part of the zone.

So, I played around a bit today in subtle ways. I moved closer to the catcher. But I started flinching and actually on one pitch closed my eyes. So I moved back. I tried to stand up a bit in my stance, and keep my back more perpendicular to the ground. That got my head a bit higher. I then brought my feet a little bit closer together. Again, head higher.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is other than to put my conscious out there for others to read. Are these good adjustments? What should I be looking for to know my positioning is good? Is it enough to just see over the catcher's helmet to the outside corner at the knees? If I am supposed to see the ball into the mitt, and visualize it again in my head, shouldn't I actually be able to see the catcher's glove?

What else do I need to do?

I know its hard to give advice on this stuff if you don't actually see me or my stance... I'm just looking for a general framework I guess to get me back on track. Maybe I can get a video or at least some pictures up.
Sounds like you are doing a bit of a modified GD stance which works very well, but not closer to F2.

I found that by moving back and moving into the slot more, that I was able to see the outside corner very well.

But its hard, just takes a lot of experimenting and work.

It also helps to work on it during a game with a good F2 who is going to stick the ball right where it really is so you can get used to seeing exactly where the pitch was etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
Since the above is so contradictory and your description of positioing with the GD stance is not part of the GD stance, it is really difficult to know where to begin to help you.

Which is it, do you use a heel toe position in the slot, or do you use the GD stance, or do you use a self-modified version of the GD stance?

GD is a system, not a stance. I use heel toe in the slot using GD. Arm length from the catcher, solid lock in with right arm on knee. GD is not a position or a stance, its a system. General guidelines.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
GD is a system, not a stance. I use heel toe in the slot using GD. Arm length from the catcher, solid lock in with right arm on knee. GD is not a position or a stance, its a system. General guidelines.
You have a misunderstanding of the GD Stance {Gerry's terminology...others have since referred to it as a system since it incorporates what we consider a stance with positioning and posture.) The GD "system" does not utilize heel/toe, is set back much farther from the catcher, and does not have one rest his arm on his knee.

By your description, you are not using the GD stance. You are using the tusagee11 stance.

See: http://childress.officiating.com/?d=...vis+Part+I.pdf

and

http://childress.officiating.com/?d=...is+Part+II.pdf

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun Jun 01, 2008 at 01:24pm.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:47pm
Stop staring at me swan.

on the left handed hitter it looks like you're still working in the RHB slot? Is that right?
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:

I moved closer to the catcher. But I started flinching and actually on one pitch closed my eyes. So I moved back. I tried to stand up a bit in my stance, and keep my back more perpendicular to the ground. That got my head a bit higher. I then brought my feet a little bit closer together. Again, head higher.
The "flinching part" is what IMO you have to work on.

There are times where we will be exposed and have to trust our equipment.

Example: We are in the slot and F2 sets up outside. We are now completely exposed and if the pitch does come inside we have to "trust" that F2 will catch the pitch.

Once you stop "flinching" then IMO you can move closer to F2 and see the low pitch more clearly.

Remember the pitch at the knees and on the corner is the bread and butter for F1 so we need to SEE that pitch and call it consistently.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
on the left handed hitter it looks like you're still working in the RHB slot? Is that right?
No, I just assumed RHB.

Reverse it for LHB.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have a misunderstanding of the GD Stance {Gerry's terminology...others have since referred to it as a system since it incorporates what we consider a stance with positioning and posture.) The GD "system" does not utilize heel/toe, is set back much farther from the catcher, and does not have one rest his arm on his knee.

By your description, you are not using the GD stance. You are using the tusagee11 stance.

See: http://childress.officiating.com/?d=...vis+Part+I.pdf

and

http://childress.officiating.com/?d=...is+Part+II.pdf
While I would agree that GD has hands on both knees, it can be used either in heel toe or balanced. Therefore, its not a stance, it is a position...
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While I would agree that GD has hands on both knees, it can be used either in heel toe or balanced. Therefore, its not a stance, it is a position...
Make up your mind. First, its not a stance it's a system and now it's not a stance, it's a position.

You don't seem to understand. I'll make one last attempt.

If you aren't using the prescribed posture/stance of the GD System (which by your description, you aren't), and if you aren't using the prescribed distance/positioning behind the catcher of the GD System, (which by your description, you aren't) then you are not using the GD System.

Calling a dog a cat doesn't make it a cat.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 04:47pm

Quote:
I'm 5'11, 160 soaking wet.
Well here's your problem! Try umpiring while completely dry!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Make up your mind. First, its not a stance it's a system and now it's not a stance, it's a position.

You don't seem to understand. I'll make one last attempt.

If you aren't using the prescribed posture/stance of the GD System (which by your description, you aren't), and if you aren't using the prescribed distance/positioning behind the catcher of the GD System, (which by your description, you aren't) then you are not using the GD System.

Calling a dog a cat doesn't make it a cat.
I've maintained throughout the thread that GD is a system, not a stance.

I do maintain arms length behind the catcher. I don't know where you got the idea that I wasn't. I mentioned I moved closer to the catcher in the OP, but I did not mention how close I got.

I am using the GD system, just not the prescribed stance that is most seen with it (blanced). I use heel toe. It does not mean I am not using GD system. I see every pitch the same way, I am locked in to the same head height every pitch, I have distance between me and catcher.

I think it is you who is calling a dog a cat... but will give way if any more experienced members of the forum wish to chime in on it differently.