The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Has anyone seen the NCAA Softball CWS? Look at some of those plate stances!! OMG. I only do one or two FED softball games a year, no wonder they look at me funny in the GD!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 12:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Has anyone seen the NCAA Softball CWS? Look at some of those plate stances!! OMG. I only do one or two FED softball games a year, no wonder they look at me funny in the GD!!
Are you talking about the exaggerated wide stance? That just does not look comfortable.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

No, the wide stance is the GD, and it is actually very comfortable.

The stances I think look very uncomfortable are the ones where it looks like you're taking a dump in the woods.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 01:38pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
No, the wide stance is the GD, and it is actually very comfortable.

The stances I think look very uncomfortable are the ones where it looks like you're taking a dump in the woods.
I think we're talking about the same thing. The GD stance is one thing but a few umpires looked like they were trying to do the splits.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
I think we're talking about the same thing. The GD stance is one thing but a few umpires looked like they were trying to do the splits.

Were they tall umpires?
Those of us who are tall need to use the exaggerated wide stance in order to get just a little lower.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 02:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

No, I don't believe so. I guess at 5'9", that's not a problem I have.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I believe Mr. Patrino may be referring to the exaggerated "squared knees" (for lack of a better term) stances. Nothing like GD at all, which looks quite comfortable, even if you aren't used to it. He described it well as resembling an exercise in al fresco defecation. Bizarre looking.

Bob James

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 04:33pm
Archaic Power Monger

That is the one I'm referring to as well. "Square knees"...that's a good description.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly, where the knees are perpendicular to the ground and the umpires head is tucked in next to the catchers, looking like he's whispering in the catcher's ear.

-----------------------
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exactly, where the knees are perpendicular to the ground and the umpires head is tucked in next to the catchers, looking like he's whispering in the catcher's ear.
Its called heel-toe... (by the CCA Softball Manual)...they are recommended to be that way and when its all youve ever done its actaully comefortable. When Softball umpires work the GD they are required to be not less than 1ft away according to the CCA manual for softball so etheir way they are WAY closer than baseball. Even the Scissors.... different from baseball all together yet... the same.... When I work Softball I now work the GD(by the way since I dont want anyone flipping out about how the GD is a system I use It "modified") and I am in the slot and not more than 1 ft away from the back of the catcher... I have even added a little heel-toe to it. I can see the outside a TON better and my head stays locked which locks in the top and bottom. However When I work Baseball I work just like Ed Hickox because he is the man... Bottom LINE

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I guess you want to be that close to be able to comment on the perfume the catcher is wearing at your post game talk?

-----------------------
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess you want to be that close to be able to comment on the perfume the catcher is wearing at your post game talk?
it gives a really good view of the zone dont knock it till you do it. BTW those girls dont wear purfume (exce[t maybe the catcher from UCLA) they probably have more testosterone or human growth hormone than Giambi. one last thing is this: you have a manual and you work by it correct? I have the CCA baseball manual too and its used so when working softball shouldnt the CCA manual be used in how they should work?

ed hickox is still the man (he isnt the 4-6ft away that the GD "system" says to use etheir and he's got one of the most DEAD ON zones I have seen in the MLB)

Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

KCG, use whatever manual you want and do whatever you feel comfortable. I just don't use the type of stance you do. I feel more comfy and I see the zone just fine, thanks, using the GD. I stand MORE then 1ft from the catcher as per the way I was taught.

Softball has a set way of doing things, and are somewhat rigid in their mechanics. My opinion is that baseball is far more interested in consistancy and accuracy of the actual calls and rule interpretations, rather then strictly enforcing how to signal outs/safe, ball/ strike and what kind of plate stance someone should use. In other words, baseball is more concerned that everyone know how to apply the rules, rather then have everyone look the same on the field.

-----------------------
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
KCG, use whatever manual you want and do whatever you feel comfortable. I just don't use the type of stance you do. I feel more comfy and I see the zone just fine, thanks, using the GD. I stand MORE then 1ft from the catcher as per the way I was taught.

Softball has a set way of doing things, and are somewhat rigid in their mechanics. My opinion is that baseball is far more interested in consistancy and accuracy of the actual calls and rule interpretations, rather then strictly enforcing how to signal outs/safe, ball/ strike and what kind of plate stance someone should use. In other words, baseball is more concerned that everyone know how to apply the rules, rather then have everyone look the same on the field.
Softball is just as concerned with that. My point was that if you have guidelines to follow they should be followed. Whatever they are. MLB umpires are not 4-6 ft away from the catcher as has been discussed on here. I can throw down at least 3 off the top of my head that arent. Now I am not saying that they are as close as I have stated that the CCA softball manual wants their umpires.

Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 12:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
MLB umpires are not 4-6 ft away from the catcher as has been discussed on here.
Before Brinkman retired, he sure was. I'm certain a lot of the GD umpires are a bit deeper than the heel-to-instep training they got at the schools, too.