View Single Post
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Plate Problems...

I'm 5'11, 160 soaking wet. I use a heel toe stance with my right arm locked on my right knee and my left arm curled in towards to where my hand rests on my belt buckle.

I like using the GD system and giving myself just a touch of room behind the catcher. I've always found this to help me with timing and also in keeping a firm, steady stance.

Today, I realized something using this stance. I can't see the ball into the mitt at times, particularly at the ball at the knees. Then, I realized that perhaps this is directly related to the biggest problem I have as a PU, calling a consistant bottom part of the zone.

So, I played around a bit today in subtle ways. I moved closer to the catcher. But I started flinching and actually on one pitch closed my eyes. So I moved back. I tried to stand up a bit in my stance, and keep my back more perpendicular to the ground. That got my head a bit higher. I then brought my feet a little bit closer together. Again, head higher.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is other than to put my conscious out there for others to read. Are these good adjustments? What should I be looking for to know my positioning is good? Is it enough to just see over the catcher's helmet to the outside corner at the knees? If I am supposed to see the ball into the mitt, and visualize it again in my head, shouldn't I actually be able to see the catcher's glove?

What else do I need to do?

I know its hard to give advice on this stuff if you don't actually see me or my stance... I'm just looking for a general framework I guess to get me back on track. Maybe I can get a video or at least some pictures up.