The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
... but will give way if any more experienced members of the forum wish to chime in on it differently.
It just doesn't matter Tuss, use a Gerry Davis , Frank Sinature, Dean Martin or Chubby Checkers stance, but find out what works for YOU, and go with it.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've maintained throughout the thread that GD is a system, not a stance.
"Therefore, its not a stance, it is a position..." TussAgee11

Quote:
I do maintain arms length behind the catcher. I don't know where you got the idea that I wasn't. I mentioned I moved closer to the catcher in the OP, but I did not mention how close I got.
Gerry Davis describes his system as requiring at least four to six feet distance behind the catcher and utilizing a "wrestling stance."

Quote:
I am using the GD system, just not the prescribed stance that is most seen with it (blanced). I use heel toe. It does not mean I am not using GD system. I see every pitch the same way, I am locked in to the same head height every pitch, I have distance between me and catcher.
No, you are not using the GD System. You aren't even using enough of the original (From a Gerry Davis clinic in 2002: feet squared, hands on knees, four to six feet behind the catcher, higher head set) to be considered a variation of a GD stance.

You can use whatever stance and positioning you want. It's just that when you claim to be using the GD and then describe something alien to it, you are confusing.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 08:40pm.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Tuss, the GD system, as I was taught it (by some guys named Davis and Ehret) advocates an aggressive slot position which means that you might seem a bit exposed at times. The upside of this is that you will always have a good, clear view of the outside corner and low pitches. If you creep back toward the catcher and get too low, the catcher is probably blocking your view of the outside corner and low pitch.

It is my personal opinion that you are never adequately locked in using just one hand/arm to lock. That's just my opinion, your mileage may vary. The GD system does not advocate a heel/toe relationship nor the wrapping of an arm in front of your stomach. The key to making the GD work is to be balanced and solid in your stance, consistent in your head height for a pitch to pitch view that never varies between batters, and relaxed so that you can use your eyes properly.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
The GD system does not advocate a heel/toe relationship nor the wrapping of an arm in front of your stomach.
I would agree that the wrapping of the arm is something that I do differently with my stance. A clinician taught us this way, and in order to please him and hope to move up in the association, I adopted it.

However, Carl Childress points out under the title Balanced or Heal-Toe"The beauty of the System is that the experienced slot umpire can use either stance."

And I would also agree with your theory on being exposed more using GD. Experimented today back to hands on both knees, and took a nice shiner to the left forearm to a right handed batter. Came home and assumed the stance in a mirror, elbow was tucked in nicely. Happens I guess.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think it is you who is calling a dog a cat... but will give way if any more experienced members of the forum wish to chime in on it differently.
FWIW, and since you asked, I agree with Mr Umpire on this point.

You are borrowing some items from GD, and some items from somewhere else to develop your own stance. That's not bad (I do it, too), it's just confusing to me (and apparently others) when you describe it as "GD system".
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Tuss, good that you are now putting both hands on your knees. Bad you got hit in the forearm, if I had a dime ....well you know the rest!! Have someone look at you while working the GD, (hopefully another GD user) and have them confirm that you are in the slot and not drifting back over toward the catcher. The reason I say this is, in 'normal' circumstances your left arm should be relatively protected by the RHB, and unless the pitch was inside and the batter moved, you shouldn't be getting hit there with regularity.

So, continue to work on it, don't give up and you will soon be able to call pitches that you might have not been seeing before.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
RPatrino (not to be confused with the Louisville basketball "coach") et al:

Am I correct in assuming that my nose should be right on the inside corner?
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 06:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
It just doesn't matter Tuss, use a Gerry Davis , Frank Sinature, Dean Martin or Chubby Checkers stance, but find out what works for YOU, and go with it.
Who the hell is Frank Sinature?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Big star back in the day in Loss Vehgas.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:56pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeves1973
Big star back in the day in Loss Vehgas.
Also known as Old Bleu Ayes or the Chairman of the Bored.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Used to hang out with Dean Martini and Sammy Dasie
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Tuss, the slot is the area between the batter and the inside part of the plate (you know this). Line yourself up in a position so that you can see the entire plate and the entire catcher's glove. That position most of the time is with your nose lined up with the inside of the plate. You might have to adjust and move in order to see the plate and glove, so don't be rigidly tied to that position.

-----------------------
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

Ed Hickox is the man.... bottom line I like the system he works he is decently close to the catcher and he works a modified GD so yeah THE MAN

Last edited by kcg NC2Ablu; Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 07:53am.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 11:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
Ed Hickox is the man.... bottom line I like the system he works he is decently close to the catcher and he works a modified GD so yeah THE MAN
Bill Hohn does it for me! I like his panache, his strike 3 call, his flair, his great timing and his low scissors he works. He and Tom Hallion are my two favorites to watch work the plate.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bill Hohn does it for me! I like his panache, his strike 3 call, his flair, his great timing and his low scissors he works. He and Tom Hallion are my two favorites to watch work the plate.
Jeff Nelson scissors, baby!