View Single Post
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

First of all, it is good to experiment, to find out what is comfortable to you. Your the one that needs to be able to have a consistent strike zone and still minimize your exposure to injury. There is NO perfect stance that works for everyone.

Having said that, a fellow umpire once suggested I go to what used to be called the wrestlers stand directly behind the catcher. I was having many problems in the slot seeing the outside pitch. One day, I tried the recommended stance and put myself directly behind the catcher and right over the center of the catchers head. Instantly, I found myself seeing the entire zone and being able watch, not so much the ball into the catchers glove but, read how the catcher was catching the ball. (Eg. Usually the catcher has to turn his glove over if the pitch is below the bottom of the strike zone. Not only does it look like a ball, but MOST of the time it is.) (And no not a big hanging duce). The catcher movement gives you many clues to indicate were the pitch was compared to the more visiable zone you are now looking at.

I was also able to clearly see both sides of the plate and started opening my zone wider yet stay consistant up down.

I expermented with that position and finally settled into one that put me just over the catchers head, and slightly into the slot (Right- Left).

May or may not work for you but, just for the heck of it, try one time setting up directly behind the catcher, just above his head and see how it feels.

From there, you can go to a Gerry Davis stance , Frank Sinature, Dean Martin or Chubby Checkers and find out what works for YOU.

Good Luck

Last edited by jicecone; Sat May 31, 2008 at 09:26am.