View Single Post
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
We all know it happens from time to time. But how often do you all own up to the mistake to coaches?

Last night during a varsity double header, my partner wasn't necessarily the best partner to have. He blew a couple of calls (out in the field the first game) and, granted, I knew the call was wrong but until he directly asks me for help, I am not going to interject in his decision making. In between half innings, the coach came and asked me if I agreed with the call and of course I did. I am not going to throw the man under the bus.

The second game I was out in the field and missed a balk (the pitcher failed to come to a distinct set position). Not that this is an excuse, but I swear that kid threw as many pitch off throws to first as he did pitches to the plate that inning (and it wasn't a short inning). I missed it and knew it I missed it. The 1st base coach came rolling over to me between innings and politely asked, "Is he coming set on all those pitches?" Without any thought I replied, "I missed one coach but all the other ones were legal. I'll be sure to continue to keep an eye on it." He said, "Ok. Thanks"

I can't say I've ever admitted to a coach directly that I missed a call as I did last night. Do you all think that it ruin my creditability with this coach? Of course, I'm not going to make it a habit to admit my mistakes but I just wasn't thinking when he approached me. In my eyes, if an umpire said that to me, I would be at ease with the situation because he obviously is paying attention to the game and will make sure to be on top of that call in the future.

-Josh
Sounds good in theory, but probably not something that I would get in a habit of.

Certainly I've told a coach "I might have missed that call", but it's always going to be a coach that I've been around the block with many many times and he and i both know that "I might have missed the call".

But I've found its better to "play on" and keep the coach guessing as to what's going on in your head.

Thanks
David