The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'll be ref'ing HS ball for the first time this year after doing Rec (middle school and younger) and Church ball for a few years. Those venues have been very relaxed and after a few weeks you start to develop a rapport with the players, fans and coaches. So far (knock on wood) I have not had any bad experiences.

My question is: Do you experienced refs admit to either the player or coach that you kicked a call? Certainly if the Howler Monkey (love that phrase) is howling you aren't going to say anything. But if, while the players are lining up for the foul shot, the non-offending (but penalized) player whispers to you something like "you kicked that call pretty bad huh?" with a smile on his face, would you say anything? Likewise if a coach with a smile and a whisper said the same thing, what is your response?

If the answer is "no, show no weakness", what would you say in response?

I appreciate the feedback since I will have to be more professional this year.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

I rarely say anything during a game, but will occasionally say something like "well I say such and such, maybe I kicked it?" Especially on out of bounds plays when it is difficult to determine who the ball cam off.

Generally though I will not admit to having missed a call. I believe that doing so only leaves you open to have players and coaches say (or think) well if they missed that one, what about this one?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 09:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Obvious calls.

I think it is great if it is an obvious call, but if it could go one way or another, keep your mouth shut. I think the key thing is not to be admitting too many calls you missed. If you do you will look like you do not know what you are doing.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 09:27pm
In Memoriam

Oops!

I can say "I kicked a call", but I prefer to say, "I may have kicked it".

Love is ... never having to say you're sorry.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 09:30pm
In Memoriam

Another Oops.

LeptalBldgs,
Welcome to the forum.
Have a good season.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Todd (aka LepTalBldgs) has been lurking here for a while, b/c I received a couple emails from him! Glad to see you posting, dude. Have a great season.

Chuck
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

If I ever did kick one, ,...

...I would own up to it if it was obvious. But only to a coach, probably not to a player. You don't gain any credibility by continuing to defend a call that everyone knows you missed.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Like BktballRef, I can't comment because I've never missed one. Yeah right. :-)

I think a couple times last year I said something to a coach like, "I might have missed that one coach." Be careful though - if you've got a coach that's already harping, that might just give him/her some new material so I'd be pretty judicious about it.

The coaches I said it to have seen me officiate enough that I was comfortable that it would be appreciated.

Z
Old Thu Oct 17, 2002, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I'll admit to kicking a call after the game or privately during the game to the player or coach IF the call is not going to effect the game. Up 87 to 21 and you kick a call against A. You bet I'll own up to it. In a 32-32 game with five seconds left. I'll defend my call to my dying breath.
Old Thu Oct 17, 2002, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
The thing that strikes me is you realize you've developed a rapport with the players & coaches. You should develop the same rapport in your HS games. Be human, be approachable, if you kick one say something like "You may be right". If it's something you know you got right but others might see differently say something like "In my judgement...". If you know you are right say so but don't be a jerk about it. I, for one, do not have a problem saying any of these things to a player or a coach *if spoken to politely*.
Old Thu Oct 17, 2002, 09:34am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
My question is: Do you experienced refs admit to either the player or coach that you kicked a call? Certainly if the Howler Monkey (love that phrase) is howling you aren't going to say anything. But if, while the players are lining up for the foul shot, the non-offending (but penalized) player whispers to you something like "you kicked that call pretty bad huh?" with a smile on his face, would you say anything? Likewise if a coach with a smile and a whisper said the same thing, what is your response?

If the answer is "no, show no weakness", what would you say in response?

I appreciate the feedback since I will have to be more professional this year.
I think that when he is howling is the best time to admit it. Generally, the smarter coaches know that you kicked it, just like you do. If you respond to the coach with something like, "I missed that one, but it won't happen again," or "I'll be in a better position to see the whole play next time," or "You're right, I missed it." What else can he say. He thinks you missed it and you confirmed it and told him you'll do better next time. Of course you get a maximum of 1 of these per game. If it can be done quietly , as you suggest, that is the best scenario, but admitting mistakes has diffused many rough spots for me.

Be mindful that the less you say the better, coaches will turn your words against you at any time, but IMO, dealing with coaches is the hardest part of our job. Thise who are really good at managing games tend to be the ones who go the farthest in their officiating careers.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Oct 17, 2002, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
I think that when he is howling is the best time to admit it. Generally, the smarter coaches know that you kicked it, just like you do.
The problem with that approach is that a coach who is a true "howler" is going to howl after every close call that goes against him/her. If you admit it when he howls, then he'll think he's got a legitimate beef the next time he howls.

If, on the other hand, the coach is generally well-behaved then when he blows his top over a truly bad call, you might give him some slack and say, "Yeah, it won't happen again."

After going back and reading your post, Stripes, that was really all you were trying to say, wasn't it? Sometimes my brain doesn't kick into gear quite soon enough. Sorry.

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Oct 17th, 2002 at 10:33 AM]
Old Thu Oct 17, 2002, 10:27am
9 times

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
I think that when he is howling is the best time to admit it. Generally, the smarter coaches know that you kicked it, just like you do.
The problem with that approach is that a coach who is a true "howler" is going to howl after every close call that goes against him/her. If you admit it when he howls, then he'll think he's got a legitimate beef the next time he howls.

If, on the other hand, the coach is generally well-behaved then when he blows his top over a truly bad call, you might give him some slack and say, "Yeah, it won't happen again."

After going back and reading your post, Stripes, that was really all you were trying to say, wasn't it? Sometimes my brain doesn't kick into gear quite soon enough. Sorry.

Chuck
That is what I am trying to say. The guy who yells all of the time regardless of hwat happens will never, ever get a response like this from me. It is opening the door for bigger problems later in the game. I guess my term "smarter coaches" was trying to imply that. Sorry for the confusion.

Old Thu Oct 17, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion.
No confusion, stripes. Just my bad

Chuck

Old Thu Oct 17, 2002, 11:19am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

No confusion, stripes. Just my bad

Chuck

You know how it is...you have a thought and can't quite get it written as clearly and consisely as it appears in your mind. Happens to me all of the time.