The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 10:13pm
Administrator

Is the batter out?

NFHS Rules: R1 on first with one out. B2, a right handed batter with a 1-1 count, squares to bunt and bunts the ball downward. The batted balls hits the playing surface in front of home plate and bounces upward over fair territory. B2 starts toward first base. B2 has one foot in the batters box and one foot in the air when the ball, while over fair territory, makes contact with the bat while B2 is still holding the bat. B2 did not make an attempt to strike the ball a second time. The ball becomes dead as soon as the ball strikes the bat the second time, BUT is B2 out because the ball was over fair territory even though he is still in the batter's box OR is this a foul ball?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

MTD,

I would want to see it before saying anything definitive, but I would likely throw both hands in the air and call this "FOUL!" (followed by a downward point in the direction of the appropriate batter's box with my left hand).

Interpretations at all levels agree that if a "so far" fair batted ball hits the bat a second time while the batter is still is holding the bat AND "in the box", it is a foul ball.

However, I have read differing interpretations on what it means to be "in the box" or not.

I like the one that says if the batter has not "landed" his lead foot (entirely) outside of the box AND has not "lifted" his trail foot from the ground, he is still "in the box".

That is how I would rule, so, as described, I've got foul in your sitch. I'd still want to see it though.

YMMV.

JM
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Foul Ball

Foul Ball
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

I agree, foul ball, JM has the proper rationale.
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
MTD,

I would want to see it before saying anything definitive, but I would likely throw both hands in the air and call this "FOUL!" (followed by a downward point in the direction of the appropriate batter's box with my left hand).

Interpretations at all levels agree that if a "so far" fair batted ball hits the bat a second time while the batter is still is holding the bat AND "in the box", it is a foul ball.

However, I have read differing interpretations on what it means to be "in the box" or not.

I like the one that says if the batter has not "landed" his lead foot (entirely) outside of the box AND has not "lifted" his trail foot from the ground, he is still "in the box".

That is how I would rule, so, as described, I've got foul in your sitch. I'd still want to see it though.

YMMV.

JM
8.4.1B is the same (at least generally) as the OP, and contains the FED definition of "outside the box" as it relates to this play.