The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Batting Glove Worn By Pitcher

Often see coaches remind their pitchers to take off a batting glove (worn inside of their fielding glove of course) before starting to pitch. But for the first time, had a coach come out and argue that the opposing pitcher needed to take his batting glove off (for the record, the batting glove was essentially black, and his fielding glove was all black). The pitcher complied without my partner or I saying anything, but it got me looking into the rule book for a reference.

I couldn't find anything and wondered if this is another myth along the lines of "the hands are part of the bat."

Am I overlooking something? Is it different between OBR, NFHS or USSSA?
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

No RB w/me, but

FED: Legal
OBR: Illegal
USSSA: I believe they are b/on OBR, so Illegal.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
In FED it is illegal if the umpire deems it distracting to the batter. If not, play on.

I generally don't pay any attention to the batting glove in a Fed game unless the batter says something about it, especially if it is a dark color. If the coach complains may as well get rid of it, since he will just instruct batter to complain if we don't get rid of it. If a white glove I get rid of it to save time.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
In FED it is illegal if the umpire deems it distracting to the batter. If not, play on.

I generally don't pay any attention to the batting glove in a Fed game unless the batter says something about it, especially if it is a dark color. If the coach complains may as well get rid of it, since he will just instruct batter to complain if we don't get rid of it. If a white glove I get rid of it to save time.
Had one last week, and a coach asked me to have a relief pitcher who had just taken the mound remove his glove. I went out to look at it, started to say he could leave it, then noticed that it had white on it. So I told the pitcher why it had to come off, and he didn't complain.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire

JK, do you have a rule reference on OBR? Like the later posts, I have always understood it to be at the umpire's discretion if deemed a distraction - which a light or white colored batting glove certainly would be. But it seems to be such a common "given" that the pitcher isn't allowed to wear it, I wonder where that understanding is coming from? I've gone through the OBR a few times looking specifically for this issue and couldn't find it - but I've missed things before!
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
JK, do you have a rule reference on OBR? Like the later posts, I have always understood it to be at the umpire's discretion if deemed a distraction - which a light or white colored batting glove certainly would be. But it seems to be such a common "given" that the pitcher isn't allowed to wear it, I wonder where that understanding is coming from? I've gone through the OBR a few times looking specifically for this issue and couldn't find it - but I've missed things before!
Looking in my old copy of the NAPBL and it says "no gloves"

And you don't see anyone in MLB with one on so I guess there is a correlation between the two.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Looking in my old copy of the NAPBL and it says "no gloves"

And you don't see anyone in MLB with one on so I guess there is a correlation between the two.

Thanks
David
Yeah I noticed that but figured it was because of a concern that the batting glove could contain an item or substance to use in doctoring the ball. Not something that is as prevalent in the high school and younger level ball.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 12:19pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I hate the coaches/players who whine about that rule...get up there and hit the friggin' ball. If it's brought up usually I'm preventative and get rid of it...but lets be serious here. if a little, white Nike swoosh is going to distract you...then it's all in your head. get up there and hit the dang ball. thoughts?
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
I hate the coaches/players who whine about that rule...get up there and hit the friggin' ball. If it's brought up usually I'm preventative and get rid of it...but lets be serious here. if a little, white Nike swoosh is going to distract you...then it's all in your head. get up there and hit the dang ball. thoughts?

Com'on johnny...tell us how you feel about thoses whinning coaches/players! fun at the ole' ball park! ..Al
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
MLBUM 2.10 forbids them.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
I agree, Johnny the rule is one of the stupid ones. But we are here to enforce the rules, not make them or agreee with them. When on the field, we must follow the rules, and the rules say no golf or batting gloves are to be worn in conjunction with the glove used to catch the ball (the fielding glove).
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks men, for answering Fritz's question for me.

I first heard that at Harry's in 1986, bu tin print as stated above several years ago.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Just because the MLBUM prohibits something doesn't mean it should be called that way at non-professional levels. The MLB interpretation is a league-specific interpretation. I'm not sure why anyone would use that interpretation at other levels of ball. Kind of like taking a FED rule and applying it to OBR.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 01:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Just because the MLBUM prohibits something doesn't mean it should be called that way at non-professional levels. The MLB interpretation is a league-specific interpretation. I'm not sure why anyone would use that interpretation at other levels of ball. Kind of like taking a FED rule and applying it to OBR.
You are right, at the amatuer level it shouldn't even be an issue.

OBR does not cover the point at all, so I don't see where it is written in the "Rule Book" that it's illegal for the pitcher, or any other player, to wear a batting glove under the fielding glove. The PBUC interp allows any defensive player to wear a glove, provided they do not rub the baseball on it [1.22]. So, technically speaking, the pitcher would have to take the glove off every time he wanted to rub up the baseball.

For Little League, Rule 1.15(b) is extended to read, "The pitcher may wear a batting glove on the non-pitching hand under the pitcher's glove provided the batting glove is not white, gray, or optic yellow."

I guess neon green is okay .
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
OBR does not cover the point at all, so I don't see where it is written in the "Rule Book" that it's illegal for the pitcher, or any other player, to wear a batting glove under the fielding glove. The PBUC interp allows any defensive player to wear a glove, provided they do not rub the baseball on it [1.22]. So, technically speaking, the pitcher would have to take the glove off every time he wanted to rub up the baseball.
Discussed this last night with a more senior official during games I had with him last night, and he came up with the same response SD - can't rub the baseball down if he has a batting glove on, but other than that, he uses judgement on the distraction issue.

Thanks for the responses!