The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Question

Where in the ASA/USSSA/Etc... Rule Book would I find the rule stating that a fastpitch pitcher cannot wear a two-toned glove? Also, how is it stated in the ruling (I do not have a rule book with me)? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
The answer you seek is found in rule 3.4. Unfortunately, it may not be the answer you desire. The rule states:
    (Fast Pitch only) The pitcher's glove shall be of one solid color other than white or gray, or if multi-colored (emphasis added) white and gray shall not be included in the colors.

So, it appears that multi-colored gloves are legal in ASA.

SamC
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info!

I appreciate it!
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
The answer you seek is found in rule 3.4. Unfortunately, it may not be the answer you desire. The rule states:
    (Fast Pitch only) The pitcher's glove shall be of one solid color other than white or gray, or if multi-colored (emphasis added) white and gray shall not be included in the colors.

So, it appears that multi-colored gloves are legal in ASA.

SamC
There is no reported rule change to this, so I will disagree with Sam on this one, speaking ASA.

The "Fast Pitch Only" portion of rule 3.4 reads:

"The pitcher's glove shall be of one solid color other than white, gray or yellow optic. Multicolored gloves are acceptable for all other players. Gloves with white, gray or yellow optic circles on the outside, giving the appearanc eof a ball, are illegal for all players."

Therefore, multicolored gloves of any type are not legal for a pitcher in ASA fast pitch.

Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Mike,

That's what I get for using the 2000 rule book as a reference.

BMOTH (Bop me on the head)

SamC
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
...There is no reported rule change to this...
I checked the front of my thoroughly dog-eared, taped together 2001 book, and this rule was changed for 2001.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
...There is no reported rule change to this...
I checked the front of my thoroughly dog-eared, taped together 2001 book, and this rule was changed for 2001.
Actually, I believe the change to 3.4 for this past season was simply adding "yellow optic" as a color/shade not permitted.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Actually Mike...

The text I quoted was directly from the 2000 rule book, so it appears that the restriction against multi-colored gloves was added in 2001 as well.

SamC
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Actually Mike...

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
The text I quoted was directly from the 2000 rule book, so it appears that the restriction against multi-colored gloves was added in 2001 as well.

SamC
Sam,

I was citing the change in the front of the 2001 book. Apparently ASA changed the wording without notation which wouldn't be anything new as some rules changes do take place after the National Convention.