The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Basketball ref with a question

Ok, I jumped over from the b-ball forum with a baseball question from my son's game yesterday.

Man on third, two outs, 3-2 count, runner going, strike three, dropped third strike. Batter gets out of way of runner who slides 'safely' home, batter rather than running to first , starts to walk back to dugout. Ump calls batter out for doing so, then indicates that run scored before he signaled out.

I say impossible but can't give rule( our team was given the run). Umps a friend of mine and he couldn't site the rule and both he and partner thought it was correct call. I know that once you head for dugout, it's an out, but would bet a cold one that run doesn't count.

Thanks........

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Apr 28, 2008 at 09:50am.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

If the batter is the third out before he reaches 1B, then no run can score. (Don't have the book, but I seem to recall that's OBR 4.09; same rule in HS and NCAA.)

So if your ump ruled the batter out for abandonment, then he was wrong to award the run.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I say impossible but can't give rule...
Here's one:
OBR 4.09(a) EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Blue
Here's one:
OBR 4.09(a) EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.

Thanks guys..........
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Abandonment of a base would be a timing play with the exception of abandonment of first base. Run does not score as per what others have written.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Steve, speaking of abandonment, I had to give back the games we were scheduled to do on Friday and Saturday!! Conflicts with NEB games.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.