The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Batting out of order

Haven't been able to find anything that addresses this particular boo situation. B2 mistakenly bats in B1 spot but team catches it during the at-bat (one or more pitches have been pitched). Does b1 take over the at-bat with the same count as b2 had? Is b1 called out even though the at-bat wasn't completed and then b2 bats with a fresh count?
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 11:36pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2316
Haven't been able to find anything that addresses this particular boo situation. B2 mistakenly bats in B1 spot but team catches it during the at-bat (one or more pitches have been pitched). Does b1 take over the at-bat with the same count as b2 had? Is b1 called out even though the at-bat wasn't completed and then b2 bats with a fresh count?
B1 takes over with the same count as B2.

Batting out of order. Rule 6.07
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks.

Thanks Steven. I'm not a HS or college ump I just saw this play happen at a rec league game which uses NFHS rules and wondered about it. Don't have a rule book handy and couldn't find anything that specifically addressed this issue.

Thanks again.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quick!

Lock this thread down now.

A nicely phrased question from a rookie poster, coupled with a polite, concise answer from a veteran, along with the appropriate rule reference.

How long until someone feels the need to spoil it? (present company excluded).
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 12:11am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2316
Thanks Steven. I'm not a HS or college ump I just saw this play happen at a rec league game which uses NFHS rules and wondered about it. Don't have a rule book handy and couldn't find anything that specifically addressed this issue.

Thanks again.
FED rule is 7-1-1 & 7-1-2.

Try this link for MLB rules.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...s/foreword.jsp

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 12:13am.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Same result if the defense mentions the BOO while the incorrect batter is at the plate. Replace the incorrect batter with the correct batter and move on - no penalty.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Has this situation last week. B1 on base, B2 up but B3 comes up to bat. B3 hits a home run. B2 now comes up, and the defense throws a pitch to him (ball). Team's scorekeeper walks over to the manager to tell him of the BOO.

Defense thought we'd have outs, runs coming off the board, etc. They were mighty angry when all I did was bring B4 to the plate with a 1-0 count!
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

The early bird catches the worm, as the cliche goes. They were a pitch too late. Awww...
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Has this situation last week. B1 on base, B2 up but B3 comes up to bat. B3 hits a home run. B2 now comes up, and the defense throws a pitch to him (ball). Team's scorekeeper walks over to the manager to tell him of the BOO.

Defense thought we'd have outs, runs coming off the board, etc. They were mighty angry when all I did was bring B4 to the plate with a 1-0 count!
Procedural question.

The defense was pointing out B3 as having batted out-of-order. The pitch to B2 legitimized B3's at bat and B4 should be at the plate. B2 is now batting out-of-order. If the defense has said nothing about B2 being out of order, should we "bring B4 to the plate"?
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 10:11am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Procedural question.

The defense was pointing out B3 as having batted out-of-order. The pitch to B2 legitimized B3's at bat and B4 should be at the plate. B2 is now batting out-of-order. If the defense has said nothing about B2 being out of order, should we "bring B4 to the plate"?
Until they appeal BOO, we've got nothing.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Procedural question.

In actual fact, the defense didn't say anything until afterwards, when they and their fans cried like babies. The offense (scorekeeper) called attention to the BOO, and because he waited for that 1 pitch I suspect that he knew the rule.

However, even if it had been the defense appealing B3 batting out of order, at that point the offense knew and I knew that B2 was the wrong batter. The pitch to B2 made B3 the proper batter, and that would mean that B4 should be batting. By rule, we bring the proper batter to the plate, no matter who points out the BOO. The only issue at that point is whether there's an out to be called or runners removed from base, and that depends on when the matter arises.

The conversation went like this (we used player's numbers, but I'm substituting B2, B3, etc. for consistency with the thread):

O-Coach: B3 just batted out of order.
Me: OK, who bats after B3? Him? (pointing to B2 at the plate)
O-Coach: No, B4.
Me: OK, get B4 up to the plate. The count's 1-0.

Then I explained it to the defense's coach.

D-Coach: So who's out?
Me: Nobody's out, coach. You pitched to the next batter, and that made B3 the proper batter. (I didn't add: and his 2-run homer counts.)
D-Coach: Somebody has to be out! They batted out of order!
Me: Coach, by rule, you have until the next pitch to catch the BOO. You pitched to the next batter, so we bring the proper batter to the plate, and he inherits the 1-0 count.

D-Coach left, mumbling...
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 10:42am
M.A.S.H.

I see your point mbyron. But if the defense wants an out, wouldn't they want the batter batting out of order to complete the bat and then appeal?

I agree that if the O-coach comes up that we should correct it. But, if we notice it and correct it ourselves, would we (possibly) be taking an out away from the defense?

I know I'm probably way off the porch, so please kick me back on it.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Never ever do anything on your own when someone bats out of order! It's up to the defense to appeal it or the offense to realize and (possibly) correct their error.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I see your point mbyron. But if the defense wants an out, wouldn't they want the batter batting out of order to complete the bat and then appeal?
Yes.

Quote:
I agree that if the O-coach comes up that we should correct it. But, if we notice it and correct it ourselves, would we (possibly) be taking an out away from the defense?
Unlike "illegal subs", this infraction can only be "reported" by either team. Even if we (umpires) know, we do nothing. If the fans say something, ignore them. If the official scorekeeper says something, ignore him /her at first and then admonish him / her to stfu (once a team acts or it's too late to act).
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I actually had, during a tournament game several years ago, the official scorekeeper (meaning he wasn't representing a specific team; he was the tourney's scorer) yell loudly to me from the booth that the wrong guy batted. I eventually went over to politely tell him to STFU.