The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Angry Mlb Shuts Down Fellow Blue Drake

Sorry to be accurate, but as predicted (and with sorrow):

http://theumpirelife.com/messageboar...opic.php?t=505

"Everyone,
Obviously, you have seen that we have run into some problems here at The Umpire Life. MLB has informed me that this site is not something that they want up and running. I am in the process of trying to see if there is anyway to continue the site, but in a different context.

One of the big concerns is if I have a controversial call that I miss. As shown by the possible homerun call in Oakland, there was a spirited discussion concerning it. If I were to have a play that I definitely missed and then went on the message board or the blog and admitted to missing it, the ramifications are something MLB does not want to have.

It is one thing to talk in the newspapers about a certain play, but to do it on a public forum like this is a little different. I am not sure what kind of resolution is going to come out of this, but I promise you that I am going to try and find a way to continue this. You guys have done an incredible job of building up this site and I am devastated to have to shut it down.

There has never been anything like this site out there and I was hoping to use it to show the human aspect of what we do. I really think that it was going to turn into something incredible. I can understand where MLB is coming from with there concerns and that is why I say that I hope we can find some middle ground. If we can't then we will just have to move on.

Tonight, I am going to have to shut the message board down, too. I was asked in a courteous way to shut the site down, so I am going to comply with their request. I apologize again to everyone that put so much time into this site. If I get it up and going again, I will be sure to e-mail everyone to let them know.

I will still have my e-mail address of:
[email protected]

If you have a question, please feel free to ask. I am not sure how often I will respond, but please try.

Again, I am sorry for this and let's hope something can be done to fix it.
"The size of the mind is proportionate to the ability to challenge the norm. "
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 03:12am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Predicted and no suprises, yes, sad.

His forum was quickly becoming a winner, even Bob Jenkins had almost 100 posts there. Timmy Bigump56 and SanDiego had deserted, I'm not going to tell you who Drake claims Garth was incodnito over there Hint" Over 150 posts.

Too bad. Never had a 40 year old rookie A umpires chance of making the bigs.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Old news, my friend.This occured last week! We will miss the interaction but MLB has it's reasons for these guys not being able to host sites or post to them.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 07:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm not certain why someone who doesn't even have a full-time ML gig would risk getting his contract by being so public. Openings don't come up often and I figured that Rob was likely in line for the next one or two, so why start a blog and perhaps rub the wrong people the wrong way?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm not certain why someone who doesn't even have a full-time ML gig would risk getting his contract by being so public. Openings don't come up often and I figured that Rob was likely in line for the next one or two, so why start a blog and perhaps rub the wrong people the wrong way?
How about this: it's 2008, and everyone has a blog?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

First, yes, several friends emailed and PM'd me the lie posted by FitUmp.

Fact: I viewed Rob's site a few times and enjoyed reading some of the posts.
Fact: Although extended a personal invitation, I never joined Rob's site.
Fact: I never posted at Rob's site.
Fact: I have sent Rob the IP address of my home computer and work computer, told his of the claim made on this site and requested that he check for any evidence that any posts were ever made from either computer.
Fact: FitUmp and his boss have crossed the line from merely annoying to maliciously fabricating.
Fact: I have not, until this post, mentioned either FitUmp or his boss for quite some time, yet I understand from some of you I am a daily topic in theirs. I don't understand the obsession and have refused to post in response to them to try to keep down the amount of crap on this site. I will continue to do so.

If anyone believes the garbage they post, there is nothing I can do about it. As the old saying goes, "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think."
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Predicted and no suprises, yes, sad.

His forum was quickly becoming a winner, .
So, the question to ask is, "Why was it becoming a winner?"

Both sites had / have knowledgable posters, although his site did have pro (MiLB) umps (known to be) participating

His site had more "social" threads (who is your favorite umpire? where are you from? exactly what brand of equipment does (insert name her) wear? etc.)

This site has more "negative" threads, mostly fomented by a relativley small group of posters.

Frankly, I (personal opinion) don't care about any of the social threads and didn't participate in them (unless it was to opine on a rules / mechanics type question).

The pro umps were nice to have, but I don't think any "new" knowledge was provided -- that is, the answers given here to the same questions would have been the same.

So, that only leave the trolling.

Here's a challenge to the "new guard" who wants to promote change: Physician, heal thyself.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I found it a better site! There were no trolls to deal with, no know-it-all jacka$$es, no snippy brats - in short, no dick heads! We al got along no matter what the level. It was a clean site - just like this one was long ago before the aforementioned jacka$$es got onto the board.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

So why tolerate the jackazzes?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 12:13pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Old news, my friend.This occured last week! We will miss the interaction but MLB has it's reasons for these guys not being able to host sites or post to them.
Thanks for reporting it, oz, old chum. Old news to you. But alas, you had abandoned us as well.

nyuk.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

First of all guys, it is OK that things had to be stopped. There were some issues with certain things in the site and I am trying to resolve them.

The way the site was designed was to give everyone an insight into what the life is like. I had a great time doing it and hopefully at some point, it can be back in a different way.

If it does come back, what won't change is the way everyone interacts. There is no point in arguing and being rude to each other. This is why the site was so appealing to everyone. It was a site where it really didn't matter what level you worked at. You could be comfortable asking and answering any questions. If my site cannot continue, then please try and bring that same mentality to this board. There are obviously a huge amount of members on this board, so take advantage of that.

I will be sure to let you know what happens with my site, but for now, please continue to carry yourselves in the way that you did at TheUmpireLife.com.

Sincerely,
Rob Drake

Last edited by RobDrake; Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 12:19pm.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 12:19pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Personally, I found it a better site! There were no trolls to deal with, no know-it-all jacka$$es, no snippy brats - in short, no dick heads!
Gee, you comprised an all-inclusve list of yourself then claimed you weren't posting there. That's a lie.

Mr. Umpire, please email this to Garth!

nyuk nyuk
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Personally, I found it a better site! There were no trolls to deal with, no know-it-all jacka$$es, no snippy brats - in short, no dick heads! We al got along no matter what the level. It was a clean site - just like this one was long ago before the aforementioned jacka$$es got onto the board.
Projection: The attribution of one's own attitudes, feelings, or suppositions to others.

http://www.answers.com/projection?cat=biz-fin
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 12:28pm
In Time Out

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDrake
First of all guys, it is OK that things had to be stopped. There were some issues with certain things in the site and I am trying to resolve them.

The way the site was designed was to give everyone an insight into what the life is like. I had a great time doing it and hopefully at some point, it can be back in a different way.

If it does come back, what won't change is the way everyone interacts. There is no point in arguing and being rude to each other. This is why the site was so appealing to everyone. It was a site where it really didn't matter what level you worked at. You could be comfortable asking and answering any questions. If my site cannot continue, then please try and bring that same mentality to this board. There are obviously a huge amount of members on this board, so take advantage of that.

I will be sure to let you know what happens with my site, but for now, please continue to carry yourselves in the way that you did at TheUmpireLife.com.

Sincerely,
Rob Drake
Good luck to you, you know what you have to clean up and out to make it work. Well, until MLB decides to change their mind.....again.

Interested Ump and I often thought about coming over to pay you a visit but

1) We knew we might drag some kelp from here over and that would be Unfair

2) Someone has to keep the Old Guard in check(mate), Mate.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 12:36pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
So, the question to ask is, "Why was it becoming a winner?"
First, let me on behalf of all here thank you for your duality in loyalty. It takes a large man to split his time so.

Quote:
Both sites had / have knowledgable posters, although his site did have pro (MiLB) umps (known to be) participating

His site had more "social" threads (who is your favorite umpire? where are you from? exactly what brand of equipment does (insert name her) wear? etc.)

This site has more "negative" threads, mostly fomented by a relativley small group of posters.
Agreed with all of the above, please do something about the old Guard, will ya?

Quote:
Frankly,
That would be Fittly...

Quote:
I (personal opinion) don't care about any of the social threads and didn't participate in them (unless it was to opine on a rules / mechanics type question).

The pro umps were nice to have, but I don't think any "new" knowledge was provided -- that is, the answers given here to the same questions would have been the same.

So, that only leave the trolling.
Bobby, you don't mind if I call you Bobby since you called me Frankly, do you?, Bobby, honestly, I never spent a lot of time there, not sure I had more than one post or two, if that. if you were a successful troll, i have to take you word.

Quote:
Here's a challenge to the "new guard" who wants to promote change: Physician, heal thyself.
Such as how? by letting old Guardians plod along with yesterday's views and mindsets?

Here's a clue. it takes about ten minutes to set up a new forum. Why not set up "old Guard" forum and you and Garthie moderate it. Wait, that's here, what am I thinkng.

OK, set up an old Guard forum, and IU and I will never, ever come there. you can post about baloons are better, technology stinks, and all Old Guard ways, have a ball.

I'll set it up for you, no, I'm not kidding.

Deal?