The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Need Help +POS Shin Guard Repair

Hi Men!

I have used POS shin guards for longer than I care to remember. Now I have two sets with major problems, and i am wondering if there is any help I can get.

1. I have a set of 316/18's, the ones Al Clark endorsed. They had the pad above the knee, w/no plastic on it. Well, just below the knee they had a plastic pad that gave protection for the area. Well the pad is cracking, and I need to find a way to replace the pad, or put something else on it.

2. I just got some 318/18's off ebay, I think it is the one Joe Brinkman endorsed. This set of guards is really, really worn. At the top of the knee cap the pad for the lower thigh is attached to the knee cap by two pieces of stretch material riveted to both pads. On both guards the elastic is ripped and breaking. Does anyone know how to replace these pieces, and rerivet them?

Thanks for your help! If you need to see pictures, I will be happy to make them available.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Try the following. Palermo shoe repair in Pittsburgh. Phone # 412/781-7477. They repair shoes (obviously), but specialize in hockey pads and equipment repair.
Good luck.

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

At what point does the cost of repair exceed the cost for a new pair of guards? Just wondering.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

The problem is +POS does not exist any more, and to a lot of us, they made the best shin guards around (except for Carlucci's).

My Al Clark model guards are between 12-15 years old. And they are still in great shape if I can repair them....
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Hey 64,

Do they have a web site?

John
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

In 30 years of umpiring, I personally have found the Davis shin guards to be the best I've ever worn. I had the Al Clark ones years ago, but their knee protection paled in comparison to the Davis guards, which also are the lightest I've ever worn. They're the most protective, the lightest, and with two straps, easy to put on and off. They're also among the least expensive.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

I the same "collector's item." They're fairly new and in good shape, but I've been wondering too about repair.

I suspect that it will be cheaper to replace them.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
In 30 years of umpiring, I personally have found the Davis shin guards to be the best I've ever worn. I had the Al Clark ones years ago, but their knee protection paled in comparison to the Davis guards, which also are the lightest I've ever worn. They're the most protective, the lightest, and with two straps, easy to put on and off. They're also among the least expensive.

Just my 2 cents.

I tried a pair of Davis guards and couldn't stand them. I'm glad you like them.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Just Google-up "sports equipment repair" or "hockey equipment repair" and you'll find dozens of places that do this work. If you search for "baseball equipment repair" you get mostly places that fix baseball gloves.

Most likely, none of these places are close enough to you that you can drop it off in person, so you're going to have to ship it. Most definitely, many of the good hockey places are in Canada and that will slow down the whole shipping process and make it a little more expensive.

As for the cost- if it salvages a piece of equipment that you love, and gives you many more years or service, why not go for it? It's worth only as much as you're willing to spend.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

JK:

What I have discovered in the past is that if you have pay to ship your shinguards for repair or reconditioning, you might as well buy new ones.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire

I tried a pair of Davis guards and couldn't stand them. I'm glad you like them.
I'm sure you're not alone, as I'm sure there are others like me who love them. It's a matter of personal opinion or taste, of course. There is probably something I can find displeasing about every pair of guards I've worn. I doubt there's a perfect pair, but to me, the Davis ones have come the closest. With the New Balance plate shoes I wear, having the Davis guards means each of my legs feels 10 lbs. lighter.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

I just got a pair of NB plate shoes, and I totally agree with you. They are great.

I have used the old Vans/XS/Exculsive/Riddell plate shoe for over 20 years now, in all of its flavors. These NB shoes are so nice I never should have worn the Ridell's after the NB's came out. I have also never heard a bad word about them from anybody who wears them.