The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

found a great new shin guard

o.k. i'm in the mall the other day and i see a hockey store. i go in and see these referee shin guards. I'm amazed at them because they look just like the new davis shin guards..the one with just 2 starps. I try them on and they are lighter with a better wrap around. They have only 3 easy velcro to attach around legs that are wider and softer tahn the davis...better knee protection and the are only 40.00 bucks....put them on and off in 2 seconds and the most comfortable shin guard i have ever worn..Plus they do not show much thru pants like the usual ones do.
goota tell ya . i think these are the best on the market.
for 40 bucks and the straps are ten times better than the davis.They have been on the market for hockey refs for years and years.
if they can take a straight shot of a puck at 120 i bet they will as the guy says take a fastball.....
frikin love em...check em out for a new look...i would market these for baseball if i was the manufacturer..these guys skate all night with them so they need to be light , flexible and take a puck or stick....
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Brand name, model number please. Don't tease like this. I have 3 pairs of shin guards and don't like any of them so I keep shopping. I finally took the ones I wore today out of my car. I will clean them up tomorrow and see if I can find a buyer. They have only been used a half dozen times and I thought I would try them one more time.

I also had someone tell me about these but I have not found a store yet, and I am not buying any more shin guards mail order.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Auto...=08019001F.jpg
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

i like to wear baseball equipment when working baseball.

ill leave hockey equipment to hockey players/referees, and dirt bike shin guards to dirt bike riders
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Up until a couple years ago I did hockey. CCM and Bauer both make shin guards not unlike the GDs. EXCEPT - the wraparounds are nice when it's on ice but I think they'd be uncomfortably hot for baseball. Also, they are intended to be snug for skating and again uncomfortable for baseball.

ALSO, referee shins are designed for stick blades, not to stop pucks thus I don't think I'd want to depend on them for plate work!
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
i like to wear baseball equipment when working baseball.

ill leave hockey equipment to hockey players/referees, and dirt bike shin guards to dirt bike riders
I bet you wouldn't dare wear a HSM.

I am currently unsatisfied with baseball shin guards so if I find a better idea in a different kind of store you can bet I will give it a try and not think a thing about it. I am satisfied with all my other gear.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I bet you wouldn't dare wear a HSM.
There is a difference a "baseball" goalie style mask and one that is made for use by a hockey goalie. I am truely suprised that you think that these are the same products.

I'm sure a pad designed to protect from hockey sticks provides great protection from fast moving baseballs
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

LDUB -

I HOPE that is dripping sarcasm!!!

I know I would not go out and leave my legs exposed to even JV fastballs with anything less than a GD or Wilson-level shin guard designed for BASEBALLS.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Itech Matrix Lite Photo

http://www.penaltyboxsports.com/prod...5_shins_15.gif

Itech Matrix - SG450 15" Black Photo. I found my Gerry Davis 15 inch models were too short so I upgraded to the Itech Matrix 17 inch model. Man, I can move out from behind the plate and run without the inconveniences BASEBALL leg guards provide. Also have the easiest ON/OFF velcro-loop leg fasteners than any other leg guard I have seen. Not like trying to place a plastic insert into a hole on the Davis model or all those rings/clasps on other baseball models. By the way, I believe Itech may very well make the Gerry Davis model for Wilson Sporting Goods.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Mar 04, 2007 at 01:33pm.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

that picture looks like them. The name of the ones i bought are called referee. any hockey store or even the hocket stores in mall have them. and all aside from opions. These are better than any shin guard out there in my opinion. They are not hot, they are lighter and they have 3 soft velcro straps. and if you did not know where you bought them, you would believe they are baseball shin guards. to each his own. Just giving some thoughts on what is out there and these are very comfortable and i love em...
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I've used them for 2 years...

Hello,

Two years ago, I was looking for a comfortable pair of shin guards. I've ordered several pair and either gave them away or sent them back. Well, opening day came and I didn't have a pair of shin guards. In a panic, I went to the local sporting goods store and all they had were the catchers shin guards. They were just too big! I asked the sales guy for his advice. He showed me a pair of Easton hockey shin guards. I bought them for $35 and have been using them since. They are blue with two thick velcro straps. They fit securely and are comfortable. I have recently purchased the GD shin guards, just to test them out. I think I'm going to stick to my hockey guards. Love them....

DAC
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I used my hockey shinguards for half a season. The reason is I had a knee injury and the brace would fit under them better than my GD's. Mine were designed for players not referees so they are more bulky but they protect better than any baseball shinguard I've ever had with the possible exception of my old Easton/Donzis umpire shingards that I had way back when.

I don't get the resistance because they aren't "designed for baseball". Pucks are harder and can travel faster than any baseball. If a hockey shinguard will protect against a puck it will for sure protect against a baseball.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

i'm really convinced these referees i bought are great.lightwieght, more comfort that the GD's and just overall fit better.also you can't see em under the slacks...
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

intresting fact

gerry davis sent me a catalog and one of the quotes regarding the davis shinguard...i qoute....modeled after the hockey shinguard.So, i was right when i first brought up this thread and i do believe the referee hockey guards are more comfortable and lighter.