The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
We can stop right there. Any blue who comes to you to lecture you needs to get the shove. If he is wrking with you, then he can make a suggestion, clarification, that's all. You can discuss later. If he's not wrking with you, he needs to STFU. Unless he's buying the martinins of course.

Typical Old Guard. No communicaton skilss especially with the youner umpires. Everything is a lecture, never n educaion.

Looking down this thread, I see that you are getting criticized, wow, new, eh?

We, the older umpires, which predominate this forum, are on our way out. You, the younger umps, are on the way in. This threatens the BeJesus out of the Olg Guard, their days are fast n the past.

These are the same umps who will say "Show me up, player, I'll dump you" but when an old Guard umpire shows up a young man newer to the game, it's "for hos own good."

Yeh, right, the hypocrisy is so deep one can barely see out.
I'm experienced with old guards. One thing I learned from last year was that you have to play the political game to advance. That is something I plan on doing this year to help me move through the ranks. And of course kiss some butt until I get a chance to prove I'm better than the old guards.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
A blatant lie and howwould you know, anyone who uses that term is on your Ignore List?
I was wondering this myself. Maybe he has a friend PM him all our posts.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
Odds are, he is.
I don't even know this rookie guy, but all of a sudden he has a beef with me and has to call me a name? And for what? Saying that I would walk off the field or a eject my "partner" if he tried to overrule me and not stop arguing with me about it? "I don't understand why you would do that" would have been a much more civil way for him to express his feelings.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 12:49am
Archaic Power Monger

So what rule, other than 9.01(c), would you use to justify "ejecting" your partner?
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
You'd better not be referring to me.

"Oh, a tough guy, eh????"
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Posted by fitump56
A blatant lie and howwould you know, anyone who uses that term is on your Ignore List?

I was wondering this myself. Maybe he has a friend PM him all our posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
Odds are, he does.
Not odds, but evens, since you have gloriously admitted to doing so.

Back to umpiring. Canadaump was not clear (to me) that he was working with an Old Guard official. Taking that clarification, let me suggest, in humility and grace, of which I am known, respected and admired across continents.

Canadaump, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

I would have thanked him for his advice. Asked for any other suggestions, with humility and grace, of which I am known, respected and admired across continents, nodded thankfully. Gone about my way.

Of course, each half inning, I would cower, I would have thanked him for his advice. Asked for any other suggestions, with humility and grace, of which I am known, respected and admired across continents, nodded thankfully. Gone about my way.

When the game was over, as they all do, with the patience hat I have shown, mixed with great gratitude, I would have thanked him for his advice. Asked for any other suggestions, with humility and grace, of which I am known, respected and admired across continents, nodded thankfully. Gone about my way.

As we near our cars to leave, head down, I would have thanked him for his advice. Asked for any other suggestions, with humility and grace, of which I am known, respected and admired across continents, nodded thankfully. Then I would have asked humbly,with humility and grace, of which I am known, respected and admired across continents,

"Was it worth you showing me up, breaking the trust that I had in you, to be on my side? It is only us out there, was it worth it for you to leave me feeling isolated and alone to get across a single, inconsequrntial point that was nothing more than an attempt on your part to Old Guard me, influence and power play me?

But then that is me, Canadaump.

Deej calls me "Mr. Nuclear Bomb". I tend to hold back, with humility and grace, of which I am known, respected and admired across continents, then whenceuponed, level the "territory" about.

Kid, and you know I mean that well, you have to put up with all kinds of sh**, when a fellow umpire does it to you?

Try a new dance
So afraid of any new romance
Be so drunk to try a new dance?
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:33am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
So what rule, other than 9.01(c), would you use to justify "ejecting" your partner?
Why need two,that one works.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
Ozzy - yes, it is painful to watch. The interesting thing is that he had another similar play where he stretched out like that a couple of innings later, kept his foot on the base, and the batter-runner was called out. Discussing it with my wife on the way home we thought that it might have not been called the first time because it isn't "normal" for 11U players in a rec league to stretch like that and still stay in contact with the base. Once the BU saw he could, however, maybe he looked more carefully next time? Not sure, but still happy with the result!
Rufus

From a former coach of three sons, all umpires, one distressed baseball wife (Team Mother for Eternity?), pieces of advice.

What you do, your style and grace, is what your children will remember you for. Every time you feel the urge to approach sports officials, remember that.

When other fathers had problems with their player sons, I never did. My wife, God Bless her, kept reminding me why I was coaching in the first place.

"What you do, your style and grace, is what your children, and the other children, will remember you for."

When their ball was over, I took that and became a strength and power trainer "What you do, your style and grace, is what your children and others will remember you for."

FYI.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
I'm experienced with old guards. One thing I learned from last year was that you have to play the political game to advance. That is something I plan on doing this year to help me move through the ranks. And of course kiss some butt until I get a chance to prove I'm better than the old guards.
No doubt about it. The Old Guard makes certin that there is a steep ladder you have to step. This is singly the most prevalent path of determined resisance, I have had to climb it, it is not fun nor is it self inspiring.

Unless you step back and look at the now and the when.

Your day will come. Until then, keep our head high and ask yourself:

"Are you part of the solution or part of the disease?"

The disease will kill you, the solution cure you.

Then throw that mask back on and do your best.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:57am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
those not striving for perfection need to find a different avocation.
Duck. well said. wow, well said, thx.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
"Was it worth you showing me up, breaking the trust that I had in you, to be on my side? "
Hold on a sec, if you will. Weren't you and FitUmp56 just giving people h311 about 8-10 days ago, because you took umbrage with the idea that a player showing an umpire up isn't cause for an EJ? And that it was a sign of a weak ego? (Hint: the answer to those is "yes.")

So, by that same logic, offering that as a quote in your never-ending quest against The Old Guard, is showing a certain fragility of ego as well? I realize you were offering your young padawan advice, and perhaps in a roundabout way, were trying to make a rhetorical point, but still.

And it still doesn't address the strange, and honestly, kind of dumb-sounding idea of ejecting one's own partner. And yes, CanadaUmp6, I am in fact referring to you.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump

Not odds, but evens, since you have gloriously admitted to doing so.
Time for a remedial reading course.

Canada was not speaking to me about anything I may have done. He was asking HokieUmp if he was referring to Canada in a post.

Please try to keep up.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

My statement that I would have ejected a partner that tried to overrule me was made more out of emotion than out of thought. I would not try and pull that off during a game, and I apologize for causing this much dissent. Ejecting a "partner" is obviously never an option, even though we all probably sometimes wish it was.

I should describe the situation in greater detail. This was a volunteer "umpire" who had to have his own way and wouldn't stop arguing until he got it. As a coach that year, he had argued with a naive base umpire about an obvious out call against his team for over 5 minutes. Once he was finally ejected, he refused to leave the park.

In the situation I was involved in, he came up to me (I was plate) and told me there was no running lane, despite the fact that neither team said a word of complaint about the call. He didn't even make reference to the running lane- it was more something along the lines of "we don't call that kind of thing in this league". Clearly he was looking to overpower a younger umpire (I was 17 at the time) and I gave in, knowing he would make a show if I didn't change the call.

Looking back, I now wish that I had walked off the field and left him with his superior rules knowledge to call the game on his own. I should have also encouraged the UIC to ensure that this "umpire" didn't get within 200 metres of a ball diamond ever again.

Last edited by canadaump6; Sat Apr 05, 2008 at 11:38pm.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 11:36pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp
Hold on a sec, if you will. Weren't you and FitUmp56 just giving people h311 about 8-10 days ago, because you took umbrage with the idea that a player showing an umpire up isn't cause for an EJ? And that it was a sign of a weak ego? (Hint: the answer to those is "yes.")

So, by that same logic, offering that as a quote in your never-ending quest against The Old Guard, is showing a certain fragility of ego as well? I realize you were offering your young padawan advice, and perhaps in a roundabout way, were trying to make a rhetorical point, but still.
How to handle?

Your answer lies within.