Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics Question on Catcher OBS

Dear collective wisdom:

What is the appropriate mechanic for the U2 in the following situation?:

R1, outs irrelevant. Catcher obstruction on the pitch, batter grounds to F6 who completes the force at 2B.

Should U2 signal the out and then let U1 award the OBS, or should U2 call "time" once the play is made and make the award?

I'm leaning toward the former, since U2 can't assume that U1 is going to call OBS. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
U2 calls his play, U1 calls his. Pretty simple.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

The OBS should have been called by PU when it occurred. My guess is you're going to have a mess no matter what you do. Like Bob said, make your call.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

C'mon,

Just to add some extra here:

1. As soon as PU sees/hears the obs., he should point and yell, "that's obstruction", then use the FED signal for a DDB if a FED game (unless you use better mechanics than FED, sorry Tee).

2. IN FED, when playing action is over, then PU makes the awards. If the BU is more then in REM sleep, he will hear the PU's obstruction call and deal with his end accordingly. The key is the PU's communication to his partner and everyone else about what happened on the play.

So, good mechanics makes this play very simple to call and administer.

Last edited by jkumpire; Mon Mar 17, 2008 at 11:26pm. Reason: can't spell
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

BU makes his call as if nothing had happened. Remember, the offense has the right to take the result of the play, so it's important to get all calls right. Who knows: maybe after that out at 2B F4 throws one away, after BR had touched 1B, and BR ends up at 3B. In some situations, the offense might take R3 w/ 1 out over R1, R2 w/ 0 out. The ball is live after catcher's OBS, and it matters what happens during that time.

In the OP, if I'm BU I have heard my partner say "that's obstruction!", so I call the out at 2B and wait to see if the defense will turn a double play. At the end of playing action, I call "time!" (if PU hasn't) and let PU make the award: BR to 1B, R1 forced to advance to 2B.

In my experience, I sometimes have to explain to R1 (now R2) and/or F6 why he's not out, but that's not an official mechanic.

Last edited by mbyron; Tue Mar 18, 2008 at 08:58am.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a verbal call by PU on catcher obstruction? I think only the DDB signal is required. Since the defense can take either the results of the play, or the obstruction, a verbal call may confuse the defense.

I think BU should ignore the OBS call until after the play is over and call what he sees. If PU doesn't call OBS, but BU clearly sees it, a conference is in order.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

I make a verbal call and a point. I don't use the DDB signal for CO in FED.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

I've never heard anyone say that they use the DDB signal. It's a dud.

I verbalize "That's obstruction!" at the time of the violation and point at F2. If you wait until after the play to announce the obstruction, you're asking for a world of shïte.

The BU should keep his mouth shut, as it's not EVER his call. Only time I can think that he might get involved is with a rookie PU, but even then I'd let it go and talk to him about it after an inning or two.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'll admit I'm not read up on my Fed rules. However, I know pro rules. Under OBR, if the base umpire sees/hears the plate umpire call catcher's interference, they will call "Time" if any runner, including the batter/runner has not advanced one base. So, in this situation, "Time", and place the runners. If the base umpire does not hear/see the plate umpire call interference, you call your own. Then let the plate guy work it out after that.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherump
I'll admit I'm not read up on my Fed rules. However, I know pro rules. Under OBR, if the base umpire sees/hears the plate umpire call catcher's interference, they will call "Time" if any runner, including the batter/runner has not advanced one base. So, in this situation, "Time", and place the runners. If the base umpire does not hear/see the plate umpire call interference, you call your own. Then let the plate guy work it out after that.
I don't think you should call time as soon as a runner doesn't advance. The offense has the option of taking the play or the penalty. To do that, you need to let the play continue until it's over.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected. My apologies.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Are we talking Obstruction or Interference here?
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Ump29,

What is properly referred to as "Catcher's(/defensive) Interference" in an OBR-based game is properly referred to as "Catcher's Obstruction" in a FED-based (i.e. American HS rules) game.

JM
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

That clears that up. Thank you. I am from Canada and use OBR only. Not that familiar with some of the others down your way !! (except what I pick up on this and other boards)
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

What do you use for fed rules/mechanics for a delayed dead ball anyways??? I usually point to the infraction and state thats "interference,obstruction" which ever applys.