The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Had this last night, I'm sure it's simple. R1 on 2nd, 1 out. Batter hits a grounder and the catchers mitt. She get's thrown out at 1st, R1 is on 3rd. Now, after the play, BR get's 1st, but does R1 go back to 2nd? This was Dixie, 12U.

The Dixie rule says 8:02 — THE BATTER BECOMES A BASERUNNER.
(D) — When the catcher or any other fielder interferes with or prevents her from striking at a pitched ball.
EFFECT: 8:02 (D) — The ball is dead and not in play and the batter is entitled to one base without liability to be put out unless the batter reaches first base safely and all other runners have advanced at least one base, then play continues without reference to the interference.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlabamaBlue
Had this last night, I'm sure it's simple. R1 on 2nd, 1 out. Batter hits a grounder and the catchers mitt. She get's thrown out at 1st, R1 is on 3rd. Now, after the play, BR get's 1st, but does R1 go back to 2nd? This was Dixie, 12U.

The Dixie rule says 8:02 — THE BATTER BECOMES A BASERUNNER.
(D) — When the catcher or any other fielder interferes with or prevents her from striking at a pitched ball.
EFFECT: 8:02 (D) — The ball is dead and not in play and the batter is entitled to one base without liability to be put out unless the batter reaches first base safely and all other runners have advanced at least one base, then play continues without reference to the interference.
All I know about Dixie is what I have seen the Dixie umps post on this board.

If the rule you quoted is the entire rule, it sounds to me like you would have BR at first and R1 back to second with one out.

Speaking ASA (.02 to Mike Rowe), the rule is basically the same, if the BR reaches first safely and all other runners on base advance at least one base safely, the catchers interference (or obstruction) is ignored. But the ASA rule offers an option to take the result of the play or the penalty if the conditions regarding the BR and the other baserunners are not met.

In ASA the options for this play are:

1. Penalty - R1 at second, BR at first, one out
2. Play - R1 at third, two outs.

From what you posted, the Dixie rule does not allow for the option of taking the result of the play in a catchers obstruction situation.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Now that's what I call a clear, succinct and helpful response.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Since you had an out a first on the original play, the correct action would be BR on first and R1 on second in Dixie. There are no other options.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.