The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
You have to have something to do when the T-baller's take their mid-game potty breaks.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Is this a mis-statement? Food and drinks in the middle of the game?
You mean you haven't popped your flask once or twice during a game, Bob? Heck, that would explain your strike zone.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 02:38am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
With table ckoths and music and silverware. It's not sex Bob.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 02:40am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Luckily, I officiate only time limited games and use the pockets for my indicator, plate brush and the countdown timer (which alarm can be heard just loud enough for me and to disturb no one else). I do stow my car keys and a couple of bucks for mid game drinks or food, a flip coin when necessary, all very handy. I am a two-bagger so I use the pockets on both sides.
Admit it, that's where you stow the filet mignon and Chianti for your eats.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 02:43am
In Time Out

Quote:
Bob, any possibility that you will play fair with deleted posts? Huh? Our **** not stink like theirs?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

a couple of bucks for mid game drinks or food,

Quote:
Yes, you did mistate it.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Luckily, I officiate only time limited games and use the pockets for my indicator, plate brush and the countdown timer (which alarm can be heard just loud enough for me and to disturb no one else). I do stow my car keys and a couple of bucks for mid game drinks or food, a flip coin when necessary, all very handy. I am a two-bagger so I use the pockets on both sides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Admit it, that's where you stow the filet mignon and Chianti for your eats.
Lest we forget the drinks; all at the same time, Deej.

I have to apologize to each and everyone who has never had a Coke or a hotdog between innings. All zero of you.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump
Those must be time limited games with intermissions.
Often the case. The leagues allowed for a 7-10 minute intermission (off the clock) at the bottom of the 5th if both sides agreed or the UIC put that in place at the home plate meeting. Sunday games @1400 with no enclosed dugouts, no trees, no shade anywhere, after a couple of dehydrations, adults coming off a Saturday night in South Beach - certain fields it became a medical must. A 210 minute time limit meant that the average game is 4 hours, more if an extra inning (only one allowed unless playoffs).
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:26am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
I have to apologize to each and everyone who has never had a Coke or a hotdog between innings. All zero of you.
Apology accepted. I have never had a Coke or a hot dog between innings. Between GAMES, now that's a WAY different story!

JJ
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

During over 30 seasons of coaching at all levels, with rookie and veteran umpires, I have never seen one of them eat anything or drink anything but water on a hot day between innings. I don't think the umpires around here would even think of it!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker
During over 30 seasons of coaching at all levels, with rookie and veteran umpires, I have never seen one of them eat anything or drink anything but water on a hot day between innings. I don't think the umpires around here would even think of it!
That's a shame. Often there is no time between end of work (for those that have day jobs, I realize many on the forum don't) and home plate meeting, to wait 4 hours to eat or drink is patently absurd. There is much evidences that as blood sugars drop, abilities, especially cognitive and visual, drop with it.

We encourage our Contractors to allow this and to a one, they have. We do require our guys to belly up the money, that is a given and part of our IC contract.

How can they not? The players sit in the shade and drink at their leisure, eat, off their feet almost as often as they are on them.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
That's a shame. Often there is no time between end of work (for those that have day jobs, I realize many on the forum don't) and home plate meeting, to wait 4 hours to eat or drink is patently absurd. There is much evidences that as blood sugars drop, abilities, especially cognitive and visual, drop with it.
They have more time to grab a snack between innings than they would on the drive to the field from work? I think you've given a pretty poor excuse to allow this kind of unprofessionalism. It's not that tough to plan ahead.........

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 05:16pm.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We encourage our Contractors to allow this and to a one, they have. We do require our guys to belly up the money, that is a given and part of our IC contract.

How can they not? The players sit in the shade and drink at their leisure, eat, off their feet almost as often as they are on them.
Unless you're a powerlifter like fitump, you should be able to wait 4 hours to re-fuel.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Unless you're a powerlifter like fitump, you should be able to wait 4 hours to re-fuel.
I , all kidding aside, witnessed The Deej bench pressing, 5 sets 8 reps, 2 45s.

He had one 45 pound plate on one end, one on the other.....
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
They have more time to grab a snack between innings than they would on the drive to the field from work? I think you've given a pretty poor excuse to allow this kind of unprofessionalism. It's not that tough to plan ahead.........
Tim.
Yes, you're correct. More time between innings since, as I posted, this is allotted time. There are a few who take advantage of this and eat on the way to the field and again at the field, we call them The Big Umps.

Unprofessional to properly fuel the body for maximum performance? Are you serious....? No, you're pulling my leg. You got me, Tim.

Last edited by Interested Ump; Tue Feb 19, 2008 at 08:52am.
Closed Thread