The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

There is nothing more satisfying (and I mean nothing) than having your "A" game with you when you are working a BIG game. Nothing. It is addictive. It is like a drug I crave. After working such a game ...I swear I have an out-of-body experience for several hours.

To rise to the challenge: [whether it was working my first pro game in a real stadium (and overcoming more nerves than you can imagine); my first pro game with ESPN/CNNSI present and recording; my first college game on the plate between two top 10 teams in a packed stadium; or working a Class AAAA state championship game in front of thousands of people] and to deliver a solid performance that makes your assignors say, "we had the right man on the job for that game" is what it is all about.

Those are the games for which I umpire all the other games for.

I swear that in the middle of a BIG game...when I KNOW I have my "A" game going...that I can actually feel the hair on my neck begin to stand up.

That is why I'm addicted to umpiring.

Last edited by lawump; Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 04:29pm.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 03:35pm
Stop staring at me swan.

well written lawump, well written...yes, I haven't worked games as big as yours...but during my "big games" I feel the same way...there's that level of intensity that's there...just a little bit more intense than the other games that are just as important.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
There is nothing more satisfying (and I mean nothing) than having your "A" game with you when you are working a BIG game. Nothing. It is addictive. It is like a drug I crave. After a working such a game ...I swear I have an out-of-body experience for several hours.

To rise to the challenge: [whether it was working my first pro game in a real stadium (and overcoming more nerves than you can imagine); my first pro game with ESPN/CNNSI present and recording; my first college game on the plate between two top 10 teams in a packed stadium; or working a Class AAAA state championship game in front of thousands of people] and to deliver a solid performance that makes your assignors say, "we had the right man on the job for that game" is what it is all about.

Those are the games for which I umpire all the other games for.

I swear that in the middle of a BIG game...when I KNOW I have my "A" game going...that I can actually feel the hair on my neck begin to stand up.

That is why I'm addicted to umpiring.
Amen lawump!

While I haven't had some of the specific pleasures you have had in terms of comperable "big games", I feel it is an honor to be assigned to these "big games." My adrenaline is going, and I am out there to perform well and give my extra efforts - just like the players.

My name is Warren, and I'm an umpiring addict. I haven't called a game in 168 days...
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Define "Big" anyway it fits your schedule.

As ever one knows (ad nauseum) I have never worked a JV game or small diamond game and have no intent of ever doing that.

Do I think ball played by shaving aged players is "bigger" than small diamond ball?

That answer is obvious.

Regards,
Okay. For the not working less than HS, all I can say is "good for you." And not in a sarcastic way... Well, maybe a little sarcastic, but not that much.

Unfortunately, I'm neither a) a living legend, or b) the one making schedules for my association. So I don't really have the luxury of saying "HS or Death!" I suppose I could, but then I'd get a lot less games, and it would take that much longer to get into four figures of games.

Overseas, I was in a town where there wasn't another place to umpire for 1,000 miles, no lie. So I took what the town offered, which was little kids, teenagers (not a school comp, but the local league), and the adult league (4-6 teams during my time, player ages running from 15-55 or older).

Here, I'm part of a 130-man organization, and as I said before, I'm not that high in the order. Do I want a game that's meaningful? Sure, I want that; I'd like to get picked for districts (or whatever it's called) and/or state games. I'd like to get whatever college level we have. But I work what I'm assigned. (Several people here have mentioned picking some game over another - pretty sweet, if you can get that.)

But until then, I need and want work, to show what I can do. So those games do have a meaning of their own, even if I'm the only one on the field that gives a $%#^.

I just wish those on this forum that have gotten to a point where they can be a little more choosy wouldn't be so disdainful of the rest of us. I'm probably not as bad an umpire as you think.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Hokieump on this point....

The tenor of commentary leans a bit toward the holier than thou side by some. The lack of camaraderie by some on this site is a big drawback for this forum. I have never understood why some posters choose to be so negative toward others. I agree that some posters deserve it when they start arguments, ask the same dumb questions over and over and argue with advice when they sought the advice in the first place. However, the lack of compassion, understanding and downright nastiness of some for no apparent reason puzzles me. I have learned that several of the "regulars" or "old timers" on this site have grown intolerant of the relative ignorance of some newer or more inexperienced posters. I do my best to ignore it. Commenting on it, even like I am doing now, never helps anyone, even me. I write to help me clear my head, sort out complex (at least to me) concepts and inform others when I can. Others apparently just like to give some a hard time. It is easy to do anonymously or via the internet with the hundreds and thousands of miles between many of us. Also, the avocation, as I like to call it, demands a certain level of skin thickness, stubbornness and ego that most jobs never come close to. So, consider the source of some of the commentary and ignore it if it doesn't help you get better. I still get a lot of valuable information from the postings here. I try to give some of it back as I strive to get better every day. Both in my umpiring career and with the rest of my life. Good luck. My two cents.

D.C. Teater
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 10:53pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave
So, consider the source of some of the commentary
D.C. Teater
That's one of my "rules of thumb" of umping when I'm getting chirped at - consider the source. Good rule, too...

JJ
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:24pm
rei

I thrive on doing higher levels. I love the challenge.

What I hate is the politics that are involved as you move up. Dealing with plenty of that right now.

The intensity of the game is NOTHING compared to the intensity of the competition of the top umpires trying to get to "the next level". The degree of false rumors, backstabbing, and politicing is incredible!

I literally questioned tonight if I have the stomach for it anymore. Tim C can let you know if I decided no!
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:37pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave
The tenor of commentary leans a bit toward the holier than thou side by some. The lack of camaraderie by some on this site is a big drawback for this forum. I have never understood why some posters choose to be so negative toward others. I agree that some posters deserve it when they start arguments, ask the same dumb questions over and over and argue with advice when they sought the advice in the first place. However, the lack of compassion, understanding and downright nastiness of some for no apparent reason puzzles me. I have learned that several of the "regulars" or "old timers" on this site have grown intolerant of the relative ignorance of some newer or more inexperienced posters. I do my best to ignore it. Commenting on it, even like I am doing now, never helps anyone, even me. I write to help me clear my head, sort out complex (at least to me) concepts and inform others when I can. Others apparently just like to give some a hard time. It is easy to do anonymously or via the internet with the hundreds and thousands of miles between many of us. Also, the avocation, as I like to call it, demands a certain level of skin thickness, stubbornness and ego that most jobs never come close to. So, consider the source of some of the commentary and ignore it if it doesn't help you get better. I still get a lot of valuable information from the postings here. I try to give some of it back as I strive to get better every day. Both in my umpiring career and with the rest of my life. Good luck. My two cents.

D.C. Teater
You know, when you got to the big clinics/camps and what not, you will inevitably hear an official who has achieved a fairly high level in the pro ranks give a seemingly heartfelt speech concerning the "brotherhood of officiating". You will hear all sorts of great talk about how you should never talk bad about fellow officials no matter how deserving they may be of it. You will hear about how you should never openly criticize a fellow official, even to another official. How you should never envy another officials assignments. How you should never work against another official. All of these same things may be published in rule books under "ethics" statements and what not.

This is a great speech, until you hear that same guy talk trash about somebody. I have seen it way too many times in the 3 sports I have officiated.

The "culture" of umpiring upper level sports is not going to change. I am not sure it can! You MUST be ambitious to improve. That same ambition though often leads to unsavory behavior for officials (meaning, behavior that is contrary to the mission and ethics statements that we read).

There are territorial disputes. There are political plays. There are conflicting personalities. It is all there in officiating. What makes it really messed up is that any even halfway decent sports official is a Type A personality. Thus, these battles can be very nasty.

To survive, you have to be clever! Probably the best advise I could give anybody newer trying to move up the ranks. Be clever!
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
I thrive on doing higher levels. I love the challenge.

What I hate is the politics that are involved as you move up. Dealing with plenty of that right now.

The intensity of the game is NOTHING compared to the intensity of the competition of the top umpires trying to get to "the next level". The degree of false rumors, backstabbing, and politicing is incredible!

I literally questioned tonight if I have the stomach for it anymore. Tim C can let you know if I decided no!
You complain about rumors and backstabbing, and then invite someone else to report your feelings? Maybe that was supposed to be funny, as evidenced by the wink, but it just seems inconsistent to me.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 10:16am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
You complain about rumors and backstabbing, and then invite someone else to report your feelings? Maybe that was supposed to be funny, as evidenced by the wink, but it just seems inconsistent to me.
Think it over a bit.