The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hitting object in fair, then going over fence

I'm pretty sure i know the ruling to these, but i'm not totally sure. A few scenarios:

Batter hits a shot that will clearly go over the fence for a home run.

1) The ball hits the scoreboard (which is entirely in fair territory and inside the fence) and (a) goes over the fence or (b) deflects back onto the field

2) The ball hits a tree (which is outside the fence, but a significant portion is dangling in fair territory) and (a) goes over the fence or (b) falls back into fair territory and is caught by F8. Would the ruling differ if the ball just grazed the tree?

3) The ball hits the foul pole (which is entirely INSIDE the fence- not even with it) and (a) goes over the fence in fair territory (b) goes over in foul (c) deflects off and comes back into the field

If there is a difference between OBR and FED, be sure to note it.

Thanks!
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
I would have addressed all three of these possibilitities at the plate meeting, and it would be settled then. Most likely, home run in all three questions.

Last edited by umpduck11; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 06:09pm.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

bossman,

As umpduck suggests, these are all matters of "ground rules" which should be covered at the pre-game plate conference.

Were it up to me, I would suggest that each of the cases you pose be treated as a Home Run.

JM
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, so there is no definitive rule book explanation for these?

In all of these scenarios i've heard different ways of doing it. I just wondered if there was a consistant rule book enforcement of these situations.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
3.13 and 9.04a(9)
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I agree with all posts so far. These are all ground rule issues and should be taken care of at the plate meeting. Most ball fields that I have worked that have these physical type abnormalities are well known to both the umpires and opposing teams that have the pleasure of playing there.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
I'm pretty sure i know the ruling to these, but i'm not totally sure. A few scenarios:

Batter hits a shot that will clearly go over the fence for a home run.

1) The ball hits the scoreboard (which is entirely in fair territory and inside the fence) and (a) goes over the fence or (b) deflects back onto the field
First of all, having a scoreboard that is both "inside the fence" and "in fair territory" is hard to imagine. What - is it in the middle of centerfield? So, I'm having a little trouble envisioning this. It seems to me that this is such an unorthodox configuration for a ballpark that this would have to be a local ground rules issue. I'm not sure that OBR makes allowances for objects in the middle of the playing field like a windmill, an indian teepee, or a giant clown head.

Quote:
2) The ball hits a tree (which is outside the fence, but a significant portion is dangling in fair territory) and (a) goes over the fence or (b) falls back into fair territory and is caught by F8. Would the ruling differ if the ball just grazed the tree?
Typically, the way this is handled is like this: It is irrelevant that the trunk of the tree is in fair or foul territory. As soon as the ball strikes any part of the tree, the umpire immediately determines whether the ball is over fair or foul territory. The ball is fair or foul on that basis - regardless of where it hits the ground. If fair, it is common for the ball to be considered LIVE, but I've heard of some ground rules (particularly for trees located very near the fence) where the ball is immediately DEAD and double is awarded.

So, if it hits the tree over foul territory, and lands in fair territory - it's a foul ball.

If it hits the tree over fair territory, and lands in foul territory - it's a fair ball.

Basically treat it the same as a fielder touching ball - with two exceptions:

1) If the ball hits the tree over fair territory and ends up going over the fence - it's a double, not a homerun. (But if the tree is very near the fence, I've heard of ground rules making allowances for this being ruled as a homerun if the umpire determines that, despite hitting the tree, it would've been a homerun anyway.)

2) If the ball hits the tree (whether over fair or foul territory) and is caught by a fielder before hitting the ground, it is not a catch. Although, again, I've heard of interpretations that state that the umpire can rule it a catch if, despite hitting the tree, the trajectory of the ball was virtually unaffected (i.e. just hit a few leaves). But if the ball hits a branch and rattles around like in a pinball machine, allowing the fielder to ultimately catch it ... no.

Again, these are typical ground rules that I have experienced (and read about) regarding those fields that have a tree hanging over it.

Quote:
3) The ball hits the foul pole (which is entirely INSIDE the fence- not even with it) and (a) goes over the fence in fair territory (b) goes over in foul (c) deflects off and comes back into the field
The foul pole is inside the fence???

What the hell kind of ballfield is this? I don't think I've ever seen a foul pole inside the fence. At most, I've seen foul poles that are integrated as part of the fence.

I think local ground rules are going to have to be established for such non-standard fields as you're describing. Most sets of rules typically do not make allowances for fields that are configured outside the parameters of how the rules require , or assume, it is to be configured.

I guess the designers of Minute Maid Park (Houston, TX) noticed a loophole in the rules; no requirement for the field to actually be level. So what do they do? They put a friggin' hill in centerfield. In my opinion, this is one of the most idiotic configuration quirks in all of baseball. Why not make it really interesting for the outfielders and put multiple moguls out there as if it is some kind of black diamond ski slope? Why not a few bear traps to really make it interesting?

This probably didn't help you much but it was fun thinking about it.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

Last edited by David Emerling; Sat Jan 12, 2008 at 12:47pm.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
First of all, having a scoreboard that is both "inside the fence" and "in fair territory" is hard to imagine. What - is it in the middle of centerfield? So, I'm having a little trouble envisioning this.
Yankee Stadium had monuments and a flagpole in center field for 50 years.

Quote:
Typically, the way this is handled is like this: It is irrelevant that the trunk of the tree is in fair or foul territory. As soon as the ball strikes any part of the tree, the umpire immediately determines whether the ball is over fair or foul territory. The ball is fair or foul on that basis - regardless of where it hits the ground. If fair, it is common for the ball to be considered LIVE
Play it off the tree? Not in my game.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
Yankee Stadium had monuments and a flagpole in center field for 50 years.
Do you know what the ground rules were concerning that? What if a ball hit off a flagpole and went over the fence?

Quote:
Play it off the tree? Not in my game.
I don't think I'd like that either.

But then again, I wouldn't relish the idea of calling a game at a field that is the equivalent of a putt-putt golf course.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
Do you know what the ground rules were concerning that? What if a ball hit off a flagpole and went over the fence?
The monuments were in play, not sure about hitting the flagpole and going over, but no one ever did that. It was 461 ft. to the fence (shortened from 490 in 1937). I believe Mick and Bill (Moose) Skowron were the only ones to hit it over that fence. The only guy I ever saw who could hit it as far as Mantle was Strawberry. (OK, let the debate begin).
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
The monuments were in play, not sure about hitting the flagpole and going over, but no one ever did that. It was 461 ft. to the fence (shortened from 490 in 1937). I believe Mick and Bill (Moose) Skowron were the only ones to hit it over that fence. The only guy I ever saw who could hit it as far as Mantle was Strawberry. (OK, let the debate begin).
Stargell did not play there, but I saw a number of his shots that went further than others I saw or heard about.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

As a young boy, I saw Boog Powell of the Orioles rattle one off the monuments. Looked like a pinball machine. Bobby Mercer labored mightily to retrieve the ball, while Boog made his ponderous course around the bases. Powell finally lumbered into third base, and stood hands on knees, gasping for breath. Would have surely been an inside-the-park home run for any other player in attendance. He, the third baseman (lost to memory), the third base coach and most in attendance all had a good laugh at his "speed."

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieblue
As a young boy, I saw Boog Powell of the Orioles rattle one off the monuments. Looked like a pinball machine. Bobby Mercer labored mightily to retrieve the ball, while Boog made his ponderous course around the bases. Powell finally lumbered into third base, and stood hands on knees, gasping for breath. Would have surely been an inside-the-park home run for any other player in attendance. He, the third baseman (lost to memory), the third base coach and most in attendance all had a good laugh at his "speed."
3B was probably Jerry Kenney (Murcer didn't play CF 'til 1969). Those Kenney, Stick Michael, Horace Clarke years do not evoke fond memories for me.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Dave Emerling,

Thanks for the response... and no, these aren't TWP field configurations i just cooked up. ALL of these conditions exist on fields that i have umpired on before (and still do) and are VARSITY fields.

The scoreboard is in center field in FRONT of the fence right up against it.

The foul poles are located in FRONT of the fence and about an inch away from it.

The trees do dangle over the outfield fence.

I've heard multiple ground rules for all of these situations, which is why i wanted to know if there was a rulebook definition for what should happen in these situations; b/c i have heard coaches give home runs for hitting the scoreboard/foul pole and i've heard giving them doubles if the ball went over the fence, etc. Although these are rag-tag fields, varsity teams do play on them, so i just want to be sure the ground rules they give are within the rules.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
i have heard coaches give home runs for hitting the scoreboard/foul pole and i've heard giving them doubles if the ball went over the fence, etc. Although these are rag-tag fields, varsity teams do play on them, so i just want to be sure the ground rules they give are within the rules.
YOU determine the grounds rules, not the coaches. Instead of "Coach - take us around please" at the plate meeting, you take them around. It sets the proper tone for the game. And if you're unfamiliar with the field, get there early and walk it.