The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

At my son's game last night (12 year olds / travel) an opposing player hit a fly ball that hit the fence in center field near the top, bounced up in the air and then was caught by the Center Fielder. I "knew" it was in play and the umpired ruled it as such... but the coach argued that it was an out. I told the coach I agreed with the ump (I'm the score keeper) and he asked me to show him the rule. Well I had my NFHS and MLB rules with me but could not find it.

I know the fence is treated just like the ground, i.e., in fair territory, but can someone point me to the rule?

thanks,

Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Tyr under, Rules, # 2 - Definitions: "Catch"
Better yet, have that coach show you - the rule, that says that this was an out.....
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Generally those type of comments are spur of the moment without much thought.... and I would guess that he didn't really want you to show him up by presenting the rule. Perhaps he really did want to know... he obviously needs some education.

Would he let the opposing catcher get one of his batters out by catching a rebounded fly ball off of the backstop? Probably not. Coach you can't have it both ways - that your team gets to play them off the fence and the other team can't.

Yes, the fence, the umpires, the bases, etc are all considered part of the grounds - when the ball hits those objects it is the same as hitting the ground.

There are special rules for hitting an umpire before it passes a fielder but that would be a different rule.