The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:26pm
In Memoriam

Head Protection

The latest from the MLB GM's is that base coaches will be required to wear some kind of head protection next year.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...n_next_season/

Soooooooo........using the same logic, would that mean that base umpires might also be required to wear head protection too?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The latest from the MLB GM's is that base coaches will be required to wear some kind of head protection next year.

Soooooooo........using the same logic, would that mean that base umpires might also be required to wear head protection too?
The logic isn't the same. BU's are focused on the ball at the time of pitch and swing. Base coaches are often focused on their runner.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 03:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

No. There's no way.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 03:59pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:

Predicted this months ago. To a one, this Forum poo-pooed the entire idea as "impossible, ridiculous and, you're insane, never happen HAHAHA."

Anyone laughing now?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:01pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
No. There's no way.
Really?

You were one of the ones who said coaches would never be required to either, Rich.

The dynamics of the death of one coach, spread nationally as a tragedy (it waas), failed to land on anyone's head here.

ZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, LOW FLYING JET and no one noticed.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

Not a majority, but several coaches I have spoken with have expressed a desire to wear head protection. When asked why they didn’t, always got that look as if “what will people think"? A positive of this regulation is the trickle down effect it will have in terms of social acceptance. Youth coaches won’t feel the social stigma, youth players should be better reminded to use theirs when in the coaches box.

There isn’t a single thing wrong with the concept as far as I can ascertain.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 03:08pm
In Time Out

Originally Posted by fitump56
To a one, this Forum poo-pooed the entire idea as "impossible, ridiculous and, you're insane, never happen HAHAHA."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
That's not true.
Ok, I could be wrong. Show me someone who was in support of mandatory helmeting for bse coaches.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

The one not giving evidence of his "prediction" is requiring evidence from someone else? Comical.

Maybe we'll outfit base coaches with the raft!
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

I do think we're getting one small step closer to NFHS requiring fielders to wear helmets, as Tee (or some poster) suggested several months ago.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 11:26pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
I do think we're getting one small step closer to NFHS requiring fielders to wear helmets, as Tee (or some poster) suggested several months ago.
Less than five years. Write it down.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 11:44pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

See, you all made fun of Teddy's helmet but that guy was thinkin' outside of the bun... oh I mean box. Now I am getting hungry..... Taco Bell maybe??
In my time in ball, I almost always wore my catchers/batters helmet out on the field during pregame activity. I also tried to place myself in a position where my back wasn't turned to any balls that where being batted or thrown. It was a good habit I got into as a youngster and still apply to this day. If made to wear a helmet on the field, I figure I have only two choices. Comply or quit. What's your call going to be?

I don't recall anybody making fun of Jon Olerud.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 02:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
The logic isn't the same. BU's are focused on the ball at the time of pitch and swing. Base coaches are often focused on their runner.
Perhaps base coaches are focused on their runners, but they should be focused on the baseball once it is pitched. Once they know the disposition of the ball they can return their attention to the base runners.

As umpires, we are faced with many responsibilities during any given play, but our main focus is the ball whenever it is in our immediate proximity. Base coaches, as well as players, umpires and fans, should focus on the baseball as well.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
In my time in ball, I almost always wore my catchers/batters helmet out on the field during pregame activity. I also tried to place myself in a position where my back wasn't turned to any balls that where being batted or thrown. It was a good habit I got into as a youngster and still apply to this day. If made to wear a helmet on the field, I figure I have only two choices. Comply or quit. What's your call going to be?

I don't recall anybody making fun of Jon Olerud.
John Olerud had a brain hemmorhage and was told wear the helmet or don't play.

Like Steve said, nothing in baseball can happen without the ball (except the rare OBS penalty). Why can't people watch where it is to know what's going on?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 10:21am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Perhaps base coaches are focused on their runners, but they should be focused on the baseball once it is pitched.
Never coached, have you?

Quote:
Once they know the disposition of the ball they can return their attention to the base runners.

As umpires, we are faced with many responsibilities during any given play, but our main focus is the ball whenever it is in our immediate proximity. Base coaches, as well as players, umpires and fans, should focus on the baseball as well.
So as F2 comes set, as F6, with R3, you're watching the ball? You're F9, F1 is RHP, you're watvhing the ball? You're 16 and in the stands when Ms. Homecoming walks by with a "tail" wind and a short skirt.

You're watchig the ball?

Egads, I bet you did.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 11:10am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
John Olerud had a brain hemmorhage and was told wear the helmet or don't play.

I am aware of why Olerud wore the helmet in the field. However, I don't once recall him being hit with a thrown or batted ball in all the time he wore the helmet. He continued to wear the helmet at all times. Thanks for making my point for me.