The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I'm gunna make the jump next year (or even for fall ball) from Bases to Plate fianlly. My UIC wanted me there this year towars the end of the season but this was my first real year in baseball as an umpire. But I told him I would do it and he was glad to hear it. Well I started looking at protection (NOT CHEAP!) I am mostly likely take the Honigs Pro-Elite because I can drive an hr to bryan and hopefully try it on. But this thing from Body Guard Products called the The UMP looks very favorable for the pocket book. Says its good for fast pitch softball and youth baseball. ANyone ever heard of it or tried it? lOoks like it'll go under the shirt not ure. But I wonder how it works as far as getting hit. Or if you guys could reccomend some protection that I can look into i'd appreacite it. Im hoping to maybe pick up somme sales/specials at the end of the year.

Old Mon May 19, 2003, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

Don't look for the best "deal" when buying a chest protector. Look for the best protection. Saving a few bucks means nothing when you take a shot squarely over....let's say your heart.
I'd suggest a West Vest or comparible type protector. And you don't necessarily have to drive to Honigs' to try it on. It'll fit just fine after you make small adjustments. And if for some reason it doesn't, they're very good about taking things back.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 08:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'll jump in and agree.

You'll have this protector for YEARS, so don't try to save $50 by cheaping out.

Buy a hard-shell protector, like a WV. The WV Platinum is a good, lightweight hard shelled protector.

Any mask will do (I wear a WV mask, which is quite inexpensive, when I'm not wearing my new helmet). Any shin guards will do the job (I wear $30 Diamond shin guards, even when working college games). But I'd NEVER skimp on the chest protector.

I took a fouled bunt off the collarbone in a high school district final back in '96 while wearing a cheap protector. The next day I ordered a WV.

So, get a good single bar mask (not expensive), any shin guards (not expensive), and a good protector. And also spend the money for plate shoes. A broken toe isn't much fun either.

Rich
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I have used the "ump" in FP softball for the past 8 years. It is very light, slips on and off easily, dries out quickly after a rinse, and has not begun to show any deterioration. It would be suitable also for youth baseball, but not for older levels.

For baseball, one ump told me "umpire armor" is great, while another said he got bruised everywhere he was hit and would never wear it again. I guess you have to find the one that works for you.

I'm probably alone in this opinion, but I liked the old outside balloon protector just as much as any of the inside ones I've worn (I use the BB204 from POS+).

Old Mon May 19, 2003, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I use the UMP hardshell by Body Guard Products and love it. It covers your collarbones also. I have taken several hard shots at the varsity level and haven't felt anything.
And don't forget your cup, but you should have been wearing that already.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I bought the K1 model from Honig's at the beginning of this season. Got the arm extentions and the lower extention also. It's a little warm (not a problem with the spring we've had), is comfortable, and after a few 'shots', seems to provide good protection. Not cheap, but as a previous poster said, you don't want to skimp on the chest protector.

Good luck to you.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Evaluate your future and current plans. If you are only doing young kids, then a less expensive vest would be OK. I have used a Rawlings chest protector for 6 years, and it cost $60. If you do older kids though, I would seriously consider a WestVest. Great protection and the best in my opionion.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I have used Honig's K-1 for four years now, and love it. Yes, it's expensive ($140+), but, as stated before and shell out some bucks for a good vest. I'm curious about the WestVest series, but, won't be needing a new protector for many years to come.

I use the light-weight BodyGuard UMP protector ($80+) for high school softball. It provides good protection, but, I would use it behind the plate in upper-level baseball. As Gobama84 noted, BodyGuard makes a hardshell Baseball UMP protector ($160+).

So your call, but, plan to spend bucks to have yourself well protected. Honig's sells all three brands: their own, WestVest and BodyGuard. You've got the best idea; drive up to Bryan, try 'em all on, and pick the one you like the best. Call before you go, hopefully they have all of them in stock.

Newter
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

oops! missed a word.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newter
I've used Honig's K-1 for four years now, and love it. Yes, it's expensive ($140+), but, as stated before, commit to shell out some bucks for a good vest. I'm curious about the WestVest series, but, won't be needing a new protector for many years to come.

I use the light-weight BodyGuard UMP protector ($80+) for high school softball. It provides good protection, but, I would NOT use it behind the plate in upper-level baseball. As Gobama84 noted, BodyGuard makes a hardshell Baseball UMP protector ($160+).

So, your call, but, plan to spend bucks to have yourself well protected. Honig's sells all three brands: their own, WestVest and BodyGuard. You've got the best idea; drive up to Bryan, try 'em all on, and pick the one you like the best. Call before you go, hopefully they have all of them in stock.

Newter
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have the +POS Body Armor 2000. It works great. Only complaint...took forever to get it.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Your more expensive chest protectors not only provide better protection, but they will also provide you a better life expectancy of the product. Also, just like in cars, better cars bring better resale value if you should change plans and go to sell it. Chaapos are difficult to sell, but anyone doing any real umpiring will always want a real protector, and you won't have difficulty selling a top level model even if it's been used.

Taking ALL factors into consideration, the better chest protectors will mean more out-of-pocket expense today, but over the long haul they are actually less expensive for you to wear and will provide you better protection along the road.

Freix
Old Thu May 22, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Chest Protector

I have used Honig's chest protector(not sure of the model --but it comes in gray, red and another color) for the last 3 years. While it works great in H.S varsity, it is a bit bulky and if looks are important to you , I would not recommend it( I don't like the way I look in it). It also gets soaked with sweat(smelly) as opposed to the hard shell ones. If I had to do it over, I would get a WV over the Honig's even if it cost more.
Old Thu May 22, 2003, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by dak1611
I have the +POS Body Armor 2000. It works great. Only complaint...took forever to get it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
BUMMER!, I got mine the second season POS offered it. First year they had em, they came out like mid-season...165.00. My assignor showed me his, I called, SOLD OUT. Following January, I called POS, they had em, 125.00. I said WOW! WV had just made the amatuer market and drove the price down for that one year, I was lucky.....BTW, GREAT protecter, I actually have lace impressions on the chest plate, but no pain.....
Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

K1 smells not mine

I have had the K1 since mid 1997 and have to say that to this day there is not hint of foul odour with it. I was told to whipe down the under side of the protector with a mild detergent but you can also use a hockey equipment deodourizer that you can find in most sporting goods stores
Old Wed Jun 04, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

old balloon type okay?

Are there any specific reasons NOT to use the old outside type, which I prefer?