The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2001, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Question

There has been conflicting information provided by NFHS rules interpretors at two neighboring state assoications' rules meetings. Thae problem is that certain schools have contracts with crews from both assoications and are being given different interpretations to the same situation. At our rule interpretation meeting, our members were told that snapper protection is stated under scrimmage kick rules, and applies only until such time as he can reasonably fend for himself. At neighboring association's meeting the interpreter told its members that snapper protection is extended to snapper not only in scrimmage kick formation, but also when the Quarterback lines up for a scrimmage play in the "shotgun" formation. He stated that anytime the receiving kicker or back is more than 7 yards back from the LOS, the snapper is to be protected. Since a snapper should not have his head down when snapping to a back in the "shot gun" formaton and since we can find no rule nor any case book scenario showing this extended snapper protection for "shot gun" or other non scrimage kick formation situations, should the snapper be afforded such protection in non-scrimmage kick situations?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2001, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

There is no definition for "Shotgun Formation."

There IS a definition for a scrimmage kick formation. If there is a back 7 yards or more behind the snapper in a position to receive a long snap AND no player in a position to receive a direct hand-to-hand snap, the offense is in a scrimmage kick formation and the snapper is given protection. This would include the "shotgun formation" if the QB is seven yards back. (Please check the NFHS rule book for a more precise definition). That a snapper should be able to make this snap without looking down is not relevant, except that he will be able to protect himself sooner and reduce the time he is vulnerable - and thus reduce the time he is protected from roughing by the defense.

Please note, a kick from this formation is not required.

Most of the "Shotgun Formations" I have seen are not scrimmage kick formations because the QB is usually only about five yards back. But if the QB is deep enough, the snapper is indeed protected by the roughing rule.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2001, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by don16954
There has been conflicting information provided by NFHS rules interpretors at two neighboring state assoications' rules meetings. Thae problem is that certain schools have contracts with crews from both assoications and are being given different interpretations to the same situation. At our rule interpretation meeting, our members were told that snapper protection is stated under scrimmage kick rules, and applies only until such time as he can reasonably fend for himself. At neighboring association's meeting the interpreter told its members that snapper protection is extended to snapper not only in scrimmage kick formation, but also when the Quarterback lines up for a scrimmage play in the "shotgun" formation. He stated that anytime the receiving kicker or back is more than 7 yards back from the LOS, the snapper is to be protected. Since a snapper should not have his head down when snapping to a back in the "shot gun" formaton and since we can find no rule nor any case book scenario showing this extended snapper protection for "shot gun" or other non scrimage kick formation situations, should the snapper be afforded such protection in non-scrimmage kick situations?
Anytime the person receiving the snap is lined up 7 yards or more behind the line of scrimmage and is in a position to recieve the snap, it is a scrimmage kick formation and the snapper is afforded protection. So if the QB lines up 7 or more yards behind the line of scrimamge in a shotgun formation (behind the Center), the snapper is afforded protection. They don't have to kick.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2001, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

The rule book provides the definition of "scrimmage kick formation" which is "at least one player 7 yards or more behind the neutral zone and in position to receive the snap. No player may be in position to receive a hand-to-hand snap from between the snapper's legs." There doesn't have to be a kick. This formation is also important for the numbering exception. We all should be aware when the offense is in this formation.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Two thoughts:

1. Most "shotgun" formations I have seen in H.S. have the QB only 5 yards back. A formation of this type would NOT afford the center protection under this rule.

2. I have had one instance where the holder on a try for point only lined up 5 yards back. Again, no protection. Just because the team lines up for a kick, it doesn't mean you can forget the 7-yard requirement.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Re-read the original post. I just want to point out that no one is saying that the we have a scrimmage kick formation when the QB is only 5 yards deep. It's pretty clear that the second association is saying that the QB or punter must be 7 yards deep.

Don, the other assoication is correct. It doesn't matter if the ball is kicked or not. The snapper is protected if the formation meets the definition of a scrimmage kick formation. Your interpreter is incorrect.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cw3Retired
Two thoughts:

1. Most "shotgun" formations I have seen in H.S. have the QB only 5 yards back. A formation of this type would NOT afford the center protection under this rule.

2. I have had one instance where the holder on a try for point only lined up 5 yards back. Again, no protection. Just because the team lines up for a kick, it doesn't mean you can forget the 7-yard requirement.
The 7-yard requirement is a statement of the rule, the true interpretation is the long snapper is given protection because of the position he is in from being roughed.

In the case where the holder lines up 5 yards, protect yourself and let him know he really needs to move back. But if in your opinion the long snapper was roughed I would still give the penalty.

Splitting hairs or more appropriately counting blades of grass should not be the absolute for rule enforcement. What if the holder was 6-1/2 yards back, would you not protect the snapper?

Remember, Federation rules are balanced toward safety and as an official you are doing your duty by doing whatever is reasonably possible to protect players from undo harm.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Quote:
Originally posted by cw3Retired
Two thoughts:

The 7-yard requirement is a statement of the rule, the true interpretation is the long snapper is given protection because of the position he is in from being roughed.

In the case where the holder lines up 5 yards, protect yourself and let him know he really needs to move back. But if in your opinion the long snapper was roughed I would still give the penalty.

Splitting hairs or more appropriately counting blades of grass should not be the absolute for rule enforcement. What if the holder was 6-1/2 yards back, would you not protect the snapper?

Remember, Federation rules are balanced toward safety and as an official you are doing your duty by doing whatever is reasonably possible to protect players from undo harm.
While I would consider myself as much a coach as an official, I would NEVER tell the holder to back up two yards to protect MYSELF. And there is a BIG difference between 5 yards and 6 1/2 yards. That is NOT splitting hairs.

The 7 yard requirement is there for a reason. What is that reason? Beats me, I didn't write the rule. But I do have to follow and enforce them.

BTW, just because the center is not afforded direct protection by rule, doesn't give the defense the right to pile drive him. As an umpire, even in the short shotgun, I still look out for the center.