The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Never coached, have you?
Not that much, but I did take a one-semester class as a Phys. Ed Major at San Diego State University in Coaching Baseball. It was taught by legendary baseball coach Jim Dietz along with Dave Legg and Joel Skinner. Names I'm sure you are familiar with. This was a very intense class, complete with mid-term exams, final exams and two term papers. I worked very hard in the class and received an A.

One of the sections of the class was Base Coaching. Jim Dietz said to, "Keep your eye on the ball because it gets on you quick." We were even instructed to move in toward the line instead of the natural tendency to move away from the line and into the ball's path.

Quote:
So as F2 comes set, as F6, with R3, you're watching the ball? You're F9, F1 is RHP, you're watvhing the ball? You're 16 and in the stands when Ms. Homecoming walks by with a "tail" wind and a short skirt.

You're watchig the ball?
F6 with R3? Ok. As the catcher comes set? Ok. What are you trying to say?

Your examples are horrible. Bottom line: You watch the ball when it is pitched to make sure it doesn't hit you in the dome. Everyone is supposed to be watching the ball when it is pitched. The 16 year old in the crowd is liable to get a ball in his ear, but that's his problem.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 12:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The latest from the MLB GM's is that base coaches will be required to wear some kind of head protection next year.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...n_next_season/

Soooooooo........using the same logic, would that mean that base umpires might also be required to wear head protection too?

Really?

You were one of the ones who said coaches would never be required to either, Rich.

The dynamics of the death of one coach, spread nationally as a tragedy (it waas), failed to land on anyone's head here.

ZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, LOW FLYING JET and no one noticed.
OK, *I* will never wear one. Better?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

When I played college baseball in New England in the late 1960s, our team wore batting helmets in the field my senior year. No caps that season. I seem to remember that some other teams did that, too.

Frankly, I preferred the helmet to the cap regardless of the safety issue, even while pitching. That was almost 40 years ago, but as I remember there was some noise that helmets were soon going to take over for caps entirely. (In those days, the helmets had no ear guards.)

Of course, the conventional wisdom then was also that because a few large companies had become so big and powerful, they would soon run everything. Therefore, a graduate had no chance trying to start his own business and so should accept the fact that he would be working for GM, Exxon, IBM, AT&T, US Steel, etc.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:59am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
So as F2 comes set, as F6, with R3, you're watching the ball? You're F9, F1 is RHP, you're watvhing the ball? You're 16 and in the stands when Ms. Homecoming walks by with a "tail" wind and a short skirt.

You're watchig the ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

F6 with R3? Ok. As the catcher comes set? Ok. What are you trying to say?
I said it. Everyone is set for the pitch, F1, F2, B, everyone, and you're staring at F1. Never played F6, we have it on record you never coached, di yo play the game at all?

Quote:
Your examples are horrible. Bottom line: You watch the ball when it is pitched to make sure it doesn't hit you in the dome. Everyone is supposed to be watching the ball when it is pitched. The 16 year old in the crowd is liable to get a ball in his ear, but that's his problem.
My examples fly right over the head of all non players and non coaches.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:59am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
OK, *I* will never wear one. Better?
Works for me. Best move on to softball then.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 11:51am

Fit, I don't know where you get your misinformation, but I have played every position on the baseball field at one time or other, including catcher and shortstop. I mainly specialized in playing first base because of my great stretch and my talent for picking errant throws out of the dirt.

I was quite the athlete as a younger man. I played in youth baseball programs in high school because I could only play one Spring varsity sport and that was golf, where I carried a 3 handicap.

My post questioned your misuse of the positions on the field. It had nothing to do with any lack of baseball knowledge on my part. You certainly don't exhibit any great knowledge of the game, as has been pointed out time and time again.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25